difference in still images
3121 13 2015-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jonasamos
New

United States

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any information or knew if there were any differences in the still image quality between the Phantom 3 Pro and Advanced. From the specs page, it shows "Sensor Sony EXMOR 1/2.3” Effective pixels: 12.4 M (total pixels: 12.76 M)" for both, so I would think the still images are identical but was not sure. I ask because still images are more important to me than video, and would like to save the $300 premium if the only real difference is in the 4K video recording.

Also wondering why they reduced the resolution from 14mp in the Phantom 2 vision+ vs 12mp in the Phantom 3. I owned the Phantom 2 vision+ and the stills were ok, but suffered horribly in low light situations. I know megapixels isn't everything, so hoping the Phantom 3 camera for stills has improved.

Thanks everyone for your input/help
2015-4-12
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Still images are the same as far as I know.

BUT, if you take still images from your video (frame grabs), you will get better ones from 4K video. An example would be when you are using video (4K) to record an event which is happening quickly - say a car racing by at high speed). It's hard to take a single or series of pics quick enough, but if you set it to 4K video you will be able to grab higher-res stills from that footage.

I think most people will be more than fine with the advanced model....my computers can't even edit 4K easily. Those who want or need 4K usually know who they are and why they need it.
2015-4-12
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

I don't actually see a difference between the V2 and the V3's as far as the stills go.  You get more control of the camera features, but the sensor is the same.  The change in the lens is a nice feature, but it's no big deal to do the same thing with software. I do mostly stills myself and was hoping for a better sensor. This thing is not all that far from a cell phone camera.
2015-4-12
Use props
fr0gburp3r
lvl.1

United States

More MP means more noise in a small sensor. Unless they have a DSLR sensor in those cams that can handle the higher MP, it's probably better they decreased the MP count in the P3.
2015-4-12
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am very disappointed in the stills I am getting from the P 3 P. They are so muddy they are useless. I have only flown twice, so perhaps some adjusting is required that I haven't tried yet. Video at 1080P was great at 4K also great.
I really am disappointed that stills can not be grabbed on the fly so to speak while videoing. Someone on YouTube said you could do that, but I can't see it.
I Also see that the app is missing a couple of icons on the left side. Also the map shifts from the right to the left, for some reason. I am sure I have some item not clicked or selected. The icon missing is the arrow with the hazy pointer just above the return to home circle and arrow. Also the Home button i.e. an "H" inside a blob exclamation point.
Any suggestions for a real honest video showing all the ins and outs of the app. I've seen a couple, but they are mixed up with some Inspire stuff inadvertently, and leave me wondering how in the heck to learn all there is to know about that very complex app.
Any help is appreciated.
2015-5-22
Use props
Gary
lvl.1

United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-5-23 11:23
I am very disappointed in the stills I am getting from the P 3 P. They are so muddy they are useless ...

For the best still quality shoot DNG (or the combo of both DNG and JPG) and keep your ISO down  to 100 if at all possible. 200 is acceptable but your quality will take a big slide anywhere above that.
2015-5-22
Use props
arives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gary Posted at 2015-5-23 13:22
For the best still quality shoot DNG (or the combo of both DNG and JPG) and keep your ISO down  to ...

I do shoot Jpeg and DNG, and I think the iso is 100. I also think the shutter speed may be set too low. I think 250 should be best to stop any jiggling. The pics I am getting are muddy, and by that I mean that a tree at 25 feet looks like a tree, but when you zoom in it is mush. I think that might be too slow a shutter speed.
Thanks for the help, it is very discouraging to get great video and mushy stills.
I am going to redo the gimbal today too.  It looks as though the horizon is slightly lower on the left.
2015-5-23
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I have a P2V+ as well - and a P3P. And the P3 images are significantly better than the P2v+. Not least because of the lack of fisheye, that would have to be fixed at the expense of quality. Also, shooting brackets is easy with the P3 and combining them to HDRs helps further with noise-issues and dynamic range.

In other words, don't worry about the 12megapixel over the P2V+ 14 megapixel. The sensor is bigger on the P3 and the lens is better. That is (a lot) more important. If you were happy with your P2V+ photos you certainly should be happy with the P3 photos. Just don't expect miracles or DSLR-quality. It is a flying Point-and-Shoot camera - with a bunch of "pro" settings options. I shoot in LOG and raw, leaving a good deal of freedom in post-production.
2015-5-23
Use props
arives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-24 09:40
I have a P2V+ as well - and a P3P. And the P3 images are significantly better than the P2v+. Not lea ...

I guess I am going to have to call DJI. The stills are totally unacceptable, and frankly the videos aren't that great either. I am not blaming all P3 Prof, it must be just my machine. Videos in 4K are stuttered. Same in 1080P. When I get a still from the video it is mushy. Stills, either jpeg or DNG, are marginal in full size and mushy if you drill down to enlarge a part of the pic to 2 to 1. My P2+ had none of that.
Really disappointed as this means many weeks without a machine, and I have already sold my P2+ darn it.
2015-5-23
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-5-24 10:22
I guess I am going to have to call DJI. The stills are totally unacceptable, and frankly the video ...

Sorry to hear that arives

Have you compared with the shots people have shared on this forum? Are your photos (and videos) significantly worse?

Are you positive the stuttering of video playback is not caused by the machine you play on? If I play 4K video on my older/previous Macbook Pro i7, it stutters.

It is a certain possibility that your unit is faulty. Which is a huge pain. Wish you the best of luck.
2015-5-23
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

I am very disappointed in the stills I am getting from the P 3 P. They are so muddy they are useless ...

You did remove the protective film from the camera right?  The stills and 1080p/60 from my P3A are stunning.
2015-5-24
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

You wrote: "I really am disappointed that stills can not be grabbed on the fly so to speak while videoing. Someone on YouTube said you could do that, but I can't see it"

Whoever said/wrote that on YouTube is mistaken. Unfortunately, on the P3 you cannot interrupt video to take a still. You have to actually stop the video, take a pic and then go back to video.

From my perspective, a practical alternative is to grab a still image from the video during post-processing. Personally, I'd like to see this changed in a future firmware update, if possible. I would love the ability to intermix pics with video or vice-versa.
2015-5-24
Use props
arives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-24 11:21
Sorry to hear that arives

Have you compared with the shots people have shared on this forum? A ...

I have a couple of pics on my Facebook Page (A Rives McGinley) that show the terrible shots that the Professional takes compared to the Phantom 2 Vision +. I did a side by side shoot today, and the Professional is just awful.
I guess I should get on the phone tomorrow and talk to someone about this. Videos are mushy, even the point of view on my Tab 4 is lousy. I am really disappointed, particularly as I have sold my Vision 2 + and the guy is coming this weekend to pick it up.
2015-6-4
Use props
arives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-6-5 09:22
I have a couple of pics on my Facebook Page (A Rives McGinley) that show the terrible shots that t ...

Howdy. I have had a great result with DJI. They listened, asked questions, and agreed to a RMA which they emailed to me including a UPS Label.
Meanwhile my grandcritter came to visit and he and I discovered that the video problem was the software I was using. I switched to the GoPro app, updated it, and now I can see the beauty of the videos I take. The camera is perfect. It has been windy here so no flying all weekend, except once, and the video is just great.
So I cancel the RMA with DJI and said thank you for the good service. Hopefully that will be the last I see of poor video and mushy stills.
Thought in fairness you should know all this.
2015-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules