PROBLEM: DJI Go 4 - 4.1.18 No speed, no height, no nothing, but...
24188 249 2017-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

dansmar Posted at 2017-11-28 21:41
Just tried apple works on iOS just Android is the problem

Wifi or otg?
2017-11-29
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Just got a reply from DJI for more info regarding this issue, pointed them to this post to show its many users across multiple devices.

Hope they fix it soon. Until then I guess I will use an iphone
2017-11-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

dansmar Posted at 2017-11-29 03:25
Just got a reply from DJI for more info regarding this issue, pointed them to this post to show its many users across multiple devices.

Hope they fix it soon. Until then I guess I will use an iphone

or:

You can install 4.1.15
2017-11-29
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

So many negative words said about the Spark..... I have had zero issues with mine and my daughter loves it! Hope you all get it figured out....
2017-11-29
Use props
MEALSOLUTIONS
lvl.1
United States

JoeCec Posted at 2017-11-29 05:01
So many negative words said about the Spark..... I have had zero issues with mine and my daughter loves it! Hope you all get it figured out....

Just be grateful we're in the US. In EU and most of the rest of the world, their WIFI signal is simply not enough when having to conform to CE compliance. Since we have FCC compliance, we get much better performance. So, while the OTG cable still helps us out a good bit, it's not nearly as beneficial to us as it is for people in the rest of the world.
2017-11-29
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

MEALSOLUTIONS Posted at 2017-11-29 05:34
Just be grateful we're in the US. In EU and most of the rest of the world, their WIFI signal is simply not enough when having to conform to CE compliance. Since we have FCC compliance, we get much better performance. So, while the OTG cable still helps us out a good bit, it's not nearly as beneficial to us as it is for people in the rest of the world.

Absolutely right and there are risks associated with the regualtion they are enforcing too.

DJI and the EU are in danger of creating an underground market for hacked drones..where it cannot be regulated at all.  We know that hacking is taking place already, the scale of it will only increase now that DJI appreant OTG intentions turn out to be correct.
DJI have rolled over like puppies to the regulations, ignoring their very sensible customer base.
If they compromised and made regulations consistent (and reasonable e.g. FCC) there wouldn't be this group of disappointed Spark flyers.

I've bailed now and have sold my Spark after only one month of ownership.  7 android app updates in that period plus 2 firmware updates...I've lost confidence based on my experience with DJI.
2017-11-29
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
United States

Still broken DJI, when is the fix coming
2017-11-29
Use props
Not_That_Nic_Sp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158045 ft
United States

I don't have any different news to add to the conversation, only this from a NEW USER. As of 6pm EST yesterday, I was a BRAND NEW DJI Spark owner. Sadly, I ran into the .18 OTG telemetry data issues. I spent hours into the evening thinking I was doing something WRONG. I sat and thought about what I had missed in my setup. i believed I was thorough in my research, watched all the YouTube videos, read all the manuals.. Today - I feel instant regret. Bait and Switch.  I believed I was the idiot that couldn't get the telemetry data on the OTG connection.

Currently, I cannot recommend this product to anyone. I'm fully aware of the many variables in the nature of the app programming business, but there should be a basic subset of features that ALWAYS needs to work. I know now that I can use the .15 version, but at the cost of a most frustrating evening that should have been a great maiden voyage.

Leaning on DJI support to alleviate these issues. I fear the holiday season may be a bust for them if this "unsupported OTG feature" is not remedied.
~FlyeOn
2017-11-29
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
United States

A lot of wanna be moderators on this forum, let DJI respond officially what will be the answer to this issue
2017-11-29
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
United States

This issue needs to stay at the forefront
2017-11-30
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

dansmar Posted at 2017-11-30 03:04
This issue needs to stay at the forefront

I do not know what you expect to happen ... Dji clearly stated that OTG is not supported. What else are you waiting for? It's simple, OTG is not supported and will never be supported.
2017-11-30
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-11-30 03:11
I do not know what you expect to happen ... Dji clearly stated that OTG is not supported. What else are you waiting for? It's simple, OTG is not supported and will never be supported.

For me, a simple note in the android app release notes would end this fiery debate immediately.
"As OTG is not supported on the Spark, we have now removed any functionality that did exist between the AC and RC"

Easy, how clear is that...these threads can be closed then... ...and thousands of EU Sparks will hit Ebay (Where mine is now!), or they'll be hacked to FCC settings
2017-11-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Mildman Posted at 2017-11-30 03:31
For me, a simple note in the android app release notes would end this fiery debate immediately.
"As OTG is not supported on the Spark, we have now removed any functionality that did exist between the AC and RC"

Not possile, methinks!

Since OTG is a important feature for other drones (Mavic comes in mind), and for CS, I am almost certain, that DJI has not found a way, to shut it down for the Spark.
Even now, where the live parameter are not showing up on the display, the app is getting this data and recording it in the records!
And since I do not hear such behavior from the Mavic pilots, I still have the idea that DJI is still trying to switch it off.
just my2c
2017-11-30
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-30 05:20
Not possile, methinks!

Be aware that Mavic does not have WiFi and is OTG the only way to connect. OTG will be totally forbidden for Spark .. We have to make it up and not cry out here.

Otherwise, of course, you can ban OTG only for selected products. Therefore, the fact that it will be forbidden for Spark does not mean it will not work for Mavic, it is not a problem to arrange in SW.
2017-11-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-11-30 05:49
Be aware that Mavic does not have WiFi and is OTG the only way to connect. OTG will be totally forbidden for Spark .. We have to make it up and not cry out here.

Otherwise, of course, you can ban OTG only for selected products. Therefore, the fact that it will be forbidden for Spark does not mean it will not work for Mavic, it is not a problem to arrange in SW.

- Therefore, the fact that it will be forbidden for Spark does not mean it will not work for Mavic, it is not a problem to arrange in SW.-

You know what I think?
I think it is proven, that they cant switch it simple off for Spark but not affecting the Mavic.
They would assumingly have done that, before the first one got out!
In special, if they wouldnt have tested it "enough", or they expected problems with it!
It is a sideeffekt of the same DJI Go4 app. It is deep in the App, as long they dont create an "Go Spark" version, the devs needs to be very carefull, pulling it of the go4, without affecting the Mavic!
They probably could limit the micro USB slot at the RC, only charging, but not for existing RC's!

I am more and more convinced that the Spark was not intentionally planed to become a "fly more" bundle, with RC.
The idea was, I think,  to create a "Device-wifi and palm controlled drone".
But then the sales department had probably a saying in this.

Think about it, Sport mode, sideways, totally "dumb" in video mode with a 2 axis gimbal.

just my2c
2017-11-30
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-30 06:11
- Therefore, the fact that it will be forbidden for Spark does not mean it will not work for Mavic, it is not a problem to arrange in SW.-

You know what I think?

Please, do you have a personal experience with SW and HW development? I have it, it's my daily job. I know that disabling some SW functionality for the specified HW is not a problem at all. Each HW sends its identifiers at the connection and according to the identifier the SW decides what fuctions will be supported.

How else do you explain that the Mavic function is are not available at Spark? If you use a modified app, Mavic function is also available for Spark. This clearly demonstrates that the app activates the given operation based on the identifier of the device that connects to it.

I know it's sad, but I'm afraid it will end it ..
2017-11-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-11-30 06:27
Please, do you have a personal experience with SW and HW development? I have it, it's my daily job. I know that disabling some SW functionality for the specified HW is not a problem at all. Each HW sends its identifiers at the connection and according to the identifier the SW decides what fuctions will be supported.

How else do you explain that the Mavic function is are not available at Spark? If you use a modified app, Mavic function is also available for Spark. This clearly demonstrates that the app activates the given operation based on the identifier of the device that connects to it.

The OTG is not a SW-function, it is a HW-connection option.

2017-11-30
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-30 06:35
The OTG is not a SW-function, it is a HW-connection option.

Yes but it does not change the fact that in the app I forbid the reception of data from Spark OTG .. OTG is sent data but the app can ignore data it if it knows that Spark is connected..
2017-11-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-11-30 06:49
Yes but it does not change the fact that in the app I forbid the reception of data from Spark OTG .. OTG is sent data but the app can ignore data it if it knows that Spark is connected..

And you are sure they could pull this string, without affecting the mavic connections?
My opinion still is, if it would be that easy they would have done that before they sold/delivered the first Spark!
But the other way round, if you are right:
Than we should see OTG for Spark soon on again.
Dont you think?
2017-11-30
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

It depends on their software structure and the hardware's ability to identify itself, but in principle Arcicorsa is right.
If the hardware is able to identify itself, a simple if-then-else function (or something similar) would do.

The fact that they left it working for Spark doesn't mean anything. Perhaps they hadn't thought of it at first, perhaps some engineer misplaced a line of code, it can be a completely random and unrelated reason.
And perhaps they meant to keep it working, just haven't tested it, and what is happening right now is a bug. We don't really know, because DJI isn't forthcoming  with reliable information like they should be.
My point is - it is most likely they can technically stop OTG for Spark without affecting other models it if they wish to. It would be the dumbest step ever, though.
2017-11-30
Use props
djiuser_VeQ7bFM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32500 ft
Thailand

Okay I think this is it ass DJI support said spark will not support OTG i am no longer hope that they will enable it again they will shut down forever very sad for this the easiest solution is if anyone think the the spark is unusable anymore so sell it we have no other choice now
2017-11-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-11-30 07:49
It depends on their software structure and the hardware's ability to identify itself, but in principle Arcicorsa is right.
If the hardware is able to identify itself, a simple if-then-else function (or something similar) would do.

-My point is - it is most likely they can technically stop OTG for Spark without affecting other models it if they wish to-

And my p.o.v is still:
How save, do you think, is it to let the spark connect via OTG like it is now?
You can fly it, you can use all functions, but you don't know the actual height, distance, number of satellites, strength of radiosignal, speed, ...!
I can't imagine, even if it was a glitch, that this is happening and they would not temporarily shut it complete down?
If it would be that easy, "till we find the bug"!
I do not know, if all the 4.1.18 in playstore have been new versions.  
Maybe the one or the other date did change only b/c of making it more available to other regions.
But I do not think, that it was only ONE version, this 5 or 6 releases!
And that seems to me, they really pushing their devs to do something here.
Which can go in both directions. Of course!

And hopefully, in my eyes, it is easier to bring it back on as to kill it in total!
2017-11-30
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-30 07:42
And you are sure they could pull this string, without affecting the mavic connections?
My opinion still is, if it would be that easy they would have done that before they sold/delivered the first Spark!
But the other way round, if you are right:

Personally, I'm also disappointed with what Dji does with OTG, especially when I live in the EU.

Yes, I'm sure they can influence what device the app will receive data from.

I think the OTG was a coincidence. I am almost certain that Dji developers used OTG for development and debugging. Then they forgot disable OTG and they are now correcting their own mistakes. They are well aware that Spark with OTG is a competitor for Mavic, which of course does not suit Dji.
2017-11-30
Use props
Not_That_Nic_Sp
lvl.3
United States

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-11-30 08:19
Personally, I'm also disappointed with what Dji does with OTG, especially when I live in the EU.

Yes, I'm sure they can influence what device the app will receive data from.

Arcicorsa - You're certainly correct that Spark with OTG is direct Mavic competition. I just received my Spark this week(unaware of the current OTG debacle). I would have simply NOT purchased a DJI product at all, for the time being.. or indefinitely. Therein lies the paradox for DJI.. enable the 'feature' and potentially gain the Spark demographic, while losing ground on Mavic sales. These products sell themselves in many ways. Having the ability and having it disabled is my issue as a new user.

I'm new to the game thus far, but I catch on quickly. Are there custom versions of the DJI Go app available?
2017-11-30
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

Not_That_Nic_Sp Posted at 2017-11-30 08:47
Arcicorsa - You're certainly correct that Spark with OTG is direct Mavic competition. I just received my Spark this week(unaware of the current OTG debacle). I would have simply NOT purchased a DJI product at all, for the time being.. or indefinitely. Therein lies the paradox for DJI.. enable the 'feature' and potentially gain the Spark demographic, while losing ground on Mavic sales. These products sell themselves in many ways. Having the ability and having it disabled is my issue as a new user.

I'm new to the game thus far, but I catch on quickly. Are there custom versions of the DJI Go app available?

Yes, we have a patched app. My colleague from Slovakia works on patched app. They unlock Mavic features, FCC mode in the EU, functional OTG, do not send data to Dji etc. Unfortunately, it will probably be inappropriate for you, it translated into the Czech language.

If you want to try it, here is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... xdJeuGuqKiAr12/view

If you are looking for this, you will find other developers who release the app in your language.
2017-11-30
Use props
Not_That_Nic_Sp
lvl.3
United States

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-11-30 09:11
Yes, we have a patched app. My colleague from Slovakia works on patched app. They unlock Mavic features, FCC mode in the EU, functional OTG, do not send data to Dji etc. Unfortunately, it will probably be inappropriate for you, it translated into the Czech language.

If you want to try it, here is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l-ENgixQ_P2NKKr8anxdJeuGuqKiAr12/view

Nice - I may have to brush up on the Czech, but I will certainly be on the lookout for a less restrictive application.
Much appreciated!
2017-11-30
Use props
DrSchwammelstam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69429 ft
Sweden

Got my Spark fly more combo last friday, using wifi and RC it was working ok (I live in europe so CE settings/limitations apply). Today, after the update, there are massive problems with video feed & data transfer. I'm using a samsung S8, hence android. As of now my spark is basically a very expensive paper weight and I will try to revert to older version. Still, if DJI does not take debugging more seriously than this before releasing software, what will happen in the future? I mean, you don't want to crash a 600-700 euro drone due to bad software. If this issue isn't addressed quickly I will have to return sparky.
2017-11-30
Use props
djiuser_VeQ7bFM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32500 ft
Thailand

Why don't DJI disable OTG with ios why you disable only Android
2017-11-30
Use props
Stephen.s1
lvl.2
United States

Greenhorn here.  What is OTG?
2017-11-30
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

USB On-the-Go.
2017-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-11-30 05:49

Mavic does have WiFi , I’m not to sure why you thought it didn’t. I have often flown my Mavic with WiFi just using my phone.
2017-11-30
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-30 14:12
Mavic does have WiFi , I Not to sure why you thought it didn’t.

WoW, my fault. I will look at it. I do not own Mavic and my friends just fly with Phantom. Thanks for the warning.
2017-11-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-30 14:12
Mavic does have WiFi , I’m not to sure why you thought it didn’t. I have often flown my Mavic with WiFi just using my phone.

Connecting device via wifi to AC, but connecting device via wifi to RC?
2017-11-30
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

djiuser_VeQ7bFM Posted at 2017-11-30 11:32
Why don't DJI disable OTG with ios why you disable only Android

Ios can still fly @4.1.18 with otg?
2017-11-30
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

So what would be the reason DJI won’t support OTG for the Spark, seriously?
Competition to the Mavic, really? 2axis gimble, 1080 30fps, 12minute flight time, doesn’t really seem like competition.
So I ask again, why not support OTG? There has to be a reason other than cutting into Mavic sales.
2017-11-30
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
United States

Yes iOS still supports otg with version 4.1.18 it is only android not working properly- no telemetry
2017-11-30
Use props
skalleking
lvl.1
Denmark

Wow this is bad Dji please fix this or my drone is no longer in use for me... Thanks to advise in this forum I'm back on 4.1.15... So disappointed
2017-12-1
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
United States

It's more of a crystal sky thing probably, why let people use their Android tablet - when you wanna sell your new display
2017-12-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

dansmar Posted at 2017-12-1 05:39
It's more of a crystal sky thing probably, why let people use their Android tablet - when you wanna sell your new display

I cant really see that!
First it is android, too
Second the 'wifi and selfie drone' is not really the target for a device, which can only be used for the drone flying.
Not as long it costs more, as even the 'wifi and selfie drone' alone is!

Many people probably bought this little bugger because they (thought they) can fly it with the phone in the pocket or better, an old phone from the drawer.
2017-12-1
Use props
djiuser_CEMGgwh
New
Flight distance : 141552 ft
Brazil

It's a so huge problem! How could a company like DJI allows to release a new version with this bug! Doesn't they have people to test it before release it? My spark is on the ground and I don't feel comfortable to fly with its!
2017-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules