Need video editing feedback please
2172 17 2015-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

I had the opportunity to film a local golf course for a promo video they wanted done. I used Final Cut Pro and filmed at 1080p 30 fps.
This is my first time using the color correction tools and wasn't really sure how the video would come out. I am only a hobbist and not a pro by any means.
I would love to get some feedback, tips and tricks to get better at this. Of course YouTube doesn't do the video any justice. The copy on my computer is so much more vibrant and clear.

Thanks!!

Cypress Lake Country Club Golf Course:

2015-4-12
Use props
chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1213051 ft
United Kingdom

Yep, a little too green IMO.  Keep in mind everyone's monitors display differently and you may need to calibrate yours with something like this:  

http://amzn.to/1IWzqwp
2015-4-12
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I am not at all qualified to give you editing advice - but I can tell what my first thought was when I saw your video.

First - for me its to green - oversaturated
Second - The music reminds me of a funeral - to sad and not let me want to go to that golf course

Greate that you publish this so we all can learn from the feedback you get. Hopefully one of the pro video guys in this forum will comment on it
2015-4-12
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

Thanks and I agree. Still learning how to use the color correction tools. The music was supposed to be a classical piece for the golf course to be more elegant and sophisticated. At least that's what I was told to do for this. Do you or anyone else on the forum have other suggestions for the music? I'd like to get this right as well as specific suggestions for correcting the color?

Thanks!
2015-4-12
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

chris@bigchris. Posted at 2015-4-13 06:39
Yep, a little too green IMO.  Keep in mind everyone's monitors display differently and you may need  ...

Thanks. I've never used one before. How does it work?
2015-4-12
Use props
chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1213051 ft
United Kingdom

It measures the actual light and colors coming out of the monitor and then adjusts the monitor profile to a standard.  It's meant for photographers that send files off to a lab for prints.  That way when the prints come back you can be sure they look the same as you expected to see.

In your case it may be as simple as you like the brighter greens, it just looks like a little too much green IMO.  Not horrible, just not quite realistic.  Over-saturated is the term I guess.
2015-4-12
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

chris@bigchris. Posted at 2015-4-13 07:51
It measures the actual light and colors coming out of the monitor and then adjusts the monitor profi ...

Got it. Thanks for the info. I'll look into getting one.
2015-4-12
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, you need to desaturate it to get to a more normal color and as above, you would get it closer if you calibrated your monitor.  Nice looking scene otherwise.  
2015-4-12
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh,  at work they call that kind of green "Easter Grass".  
2015-4-12
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

My 2 cents after seeing the video - beautiful!!!  Crisp and clear.  Didn't have sound so wasn't able to hear the music. I think your flying skills are well executed. Good variety of shots and movement.  
Color grading is subjective.  I've photographed several golf courses (have yet to do video) and, in my opinion, golf courses are meant to be lush and green.  I don't think that your video is too far off.
It should also be noted that I am not a pro videographer. Lots of still photography experience but I am finding video to be a completely different animal.
Hope this helps, I enjoyed the video!

Peter
2015-4-12
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-13 08:32
My 2 cents after seeing the video - beautiful!!!  Crisp and clear.  Didn't have sound so wasn't able ...

Thanks Peter.
2015-4-12
Use props
Aerographis
lvl.2

United States

It actually has a yellow-green bias. Nice shots, after a little tweaking you'll have exactly what you're looking for. Calibrating monitors is key in achieving a good color balance. I use the Color Munki and it is ideal for setting up monitors and printers: http://colormunki.com/.

Another issue with men is color blindness. Many of us have a bias that we would never notice unless tested. There is a great test for this that has been around forever: http://www.colour-blindness.com/ ... colour-test-plates/

Interestingly, color blindness in women is extremely rare.

I used to own a commercial photographic color lab (remember those?) and always went red-sensitive after drinking coffee. Just something to think about.

You could also calibrate your camera using one of these: http://www.amazon.com/30x30cm-Wh ... RS3FQD5HRPEZ438D9S9
2015-4-12
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

Aerographis Posted at 2015-4-13 12:12
It actually has a yellow-green bias. Nice shots, after a little tweaking you'll have exactly what yo ...

This is great information. Thanks for sharing. Looks like I have a lot to learn and work on. Practice, Practice, Practice....
2015-4-13
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

crossfittb@yaho Posted at 2015-4-13 16:02
This is great information. Thanks for sharing. Looks like I have a lot to learn and work on. Pract ...

That I have also realized - practice practice practice
i think your compositions are nice - you will get it.
Myself have a lounge way to go ( but I will try walking it )
Keep on - thanks for sharing
2015-4-13
Use props
wolftj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

Pretty good for a self-proclaimed amateur, makes me want to go hit some little white balls!

Consistent motion control will really make this kind of video stand out. There were a couple points where the pan changed direction, even if momentarily; cut to another shot before that happens. You can even come back to the clip after the pan change later in the edit.

Might try filming in 1080p 60 and retiming it to 1080p 30. The result is what's become popular with recent action videos, the ones most people associate with a GoPro. The slowing effect is quite nice sometimes.

Jim's color grading videos are really good. There are a few more on YouTube using FCP; using some of the built-in instrumentation (waveforms, etc) will take out the subjective nature of 'how it looks' on your monitor if it's not calibrated. www.colorgradingcentral.com has some great tutorials, lots of free info.

A couple of the real pros here will likely have better more specific advice, strong first effort. Just takes a little practice, and sometimes a return to reshoot. Really slick well composed video isn't as easy to do as it would seem, otherwise everyone would do it.
2015-4-13
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Looks great!  Yeah, agree about the color balance.   Most programs will show you video scopes.  They are scary at first but incredibly simple really.    Though there will be a green emphasis because of all the grass, in general the image is in balance when you have an even amount of each color.  
Good editing advice above, always good to cut around camera changes and bumps, one of my pet peeves!

scopes.jpg
2015-4-13
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

crossfittb@yaho Posted at 2015-4-13 07:04
Thanks and I agree. Still learning how to use the color correction tools. The music was supposed to  ...

Go to www.Istockphoto.com they have great music for any mood. Each peice of music on avg. is $33. I agree the music needs to be a little more up beat.

2015-4-13
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

Man, I can't believe all the great advice. You guys are amazing. Thanks so much for all the input & helpful suggestions.
Trust me I will be working on all of them. Hopefully this information can help other newbies too.

Thanks again!
2015-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules