Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Autonomous flight - False advertising
4691 53 2015-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quinton
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ive said this before but they also need to update their home page as it still says the following which is not true..

"Dynamic Home Point

When GPS signal is available on the remote, the Home Point automatically refreshes. This becomes useful while traveling in a car or on a boat allowing the return-to-home point to move where the operator goes. Multiple configurations are available via the Dynamic Home Point function."

http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/feature (bottom of page)
2015-5-17
Use props
wattsnb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656444 ft
United Kingdom

All DJI care about is shifting boxes.  As to anything else, they will do the absolute minimum they can get away with to continue shifting those boxes.  Shifted boxes = money in their account.  End of.
2015-5-17
Use props
bobbymanson
lvl.2

United States

I sold my phantom 2 v+ (which had these features) for the Inspire 1 based on DJIs marketing claims. If DJI does not want to fulfill these claims, they should rebate a fair amount of the purchase price to people that bought the bird based on these claims. I don't see this problem going away for DJI. A lot of us are just struggling to make a judgement on whether to fly it or not based on all of the firmware bugs.  I'd much rather have DJIs programmers make the bird save to fly at this point verses introducing new features that will probably be equally as buggy. Once the firmware is stable, watch out DJI!  Your customers will not forget about this issue and it will be the next big thing. I hope that you have a plan.
2015-5-17
Use props
MidwestIsBest
New

United States

This has possible HUGE ramifications in the agriculture and land market. Think of all the agricultural crops and pastures in the world that supply us with our food, and how large some of those fields are – depending on the operation, it could be several thousand acres. Autonomous flight is absolutely critical to these owners/farmers as they do not have the time or desire to fly these fields by “hand.”

I personally work with and know several large companies and operations that have previously taken a wait-and-see approach to the copter/drone market but who are now looking to purchase for their clients or themselves (as either an operator or owner of the land). There is an absolute windfall to be made for the company that can efficiently develop a copter with efficient autonomous flight.

I understand that some previous models offered this but these guys have the money to burn (it’s obscene how much) and want to be on the forefront of whatever the next big thing is. And word-of-mouth is critical marketing in this industry with people that are less inclined to visit/read forums or websites. They rely on what their friends and colleagues say.

I’ve been asked to do some research into a copter/drone by some of these companies and individuals and, like many others, was lured here with promises seen on other sites/videos about the Inspire I’s autonomous flight capabilities. However, having read some of these forum posts I am questioning not only this product but DJI as a company – it seems that many users have complained about the lack of support and customer service. I would not feel comfortable recommending a product to my associates knowing that the company behind the product offered such poor customer service and that they proposed features that no longer being offered and are doing little to assure their understandably infuriated and frustrated customer base. Likewise, should one have a bad experience with a product, you can guess what the next topic of discussion will be next time he meets with his friend and colleagues.

I have been looking into other companies (3DR robotics for example) and will be monitoring these threads very closely. Thank you everyone who has contributed so far, this information has been invaluable. DJI I hope you are taking this matter seriously and will address this issue with more forthcoming soon. The loss of potential users could be quite significant…
2015-5-18
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-4-13 11:56
Skysight, with all due respect, how is this costing you money?  And if it is,  why not just buy anot ...

Great response. I see the same things all the time.  For what we charge per day for jobs, I would never let the fact that there isn't "waypoints" affect me doing my job.  Neither would I claim to be able to go after a company in China, who have at their access, billiions.  Sure they can defend any claim, or at least tie it up far longer than the time is worth.
For what it will cost to pursue, you can buy another product and generate more than enough revenue stress free.
2015-5-18
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

kinsonlai Posted at 2015-5-13 11:17
Amen to that... Personally, I don't doubt DJI will probably follow-up on the ground station suppor ...

You wanted a follow me mode on the inspire?  No way I would want that on a drone of this size and weight, let alone expense.
I will leave that for the toys and use this for more professional work.
Using this with an operator is the way it was meant to be used.
2015-5-18
Use props
kinsonlai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69662 ft
Hong Kong

Shadrack Posted at 2015-5-19 07:23
You wanted a follow me mode on the inspire?  No way I would want that on a drone of this size and  ...

Yes, I wanted a 'follow-me' mode on the inspire, not because I am definitely going to use it but that's what it was advertised to do in the first place.  It would be handy to have it in remote locations when you want it to film yourself and take your hands off the stick.

Although you are right about the size and weight of it, the i1s camera doesn't have any zoom capability so if you want any closeups you are probably better off with a platform that can lift an actual DSLR.  The i1, at best, is still a prosumer grade piece of equipment.  Lovely thing to fly though =)
2015-5-18
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

kinsonlai Posted at 2015-5-19 09:45
Yes, I wanted a 'follow-me' mode on the inspire, not because I am definitely going to use it but t ...

Or just use a smaller drone with guards and go closer.  Zoom doesn't make sense when you have gimbals calibrated.
2015-5-22
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

kinsonlai Posted at 2015-5-19 09:45
Yes, I wanted a 'follow-me' mode on the inspire, not because I am definitely going to use it but t ...

I think we'll start seeing some of these features on the Inspire from third parties as the SDK gets off the ground.  
2015-5-22
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-13 22:14
I will refer you to the FAQ section of the Inspire 1.

When will ground station functionality be ava ...

Does not currently implies that at some time it will.
2015-5-22
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

SkySight Posted at 2015-4-14 03:08
Our lawyers downloaded the videos from YouTube where DJI talks about how to use the autonomous fli ...

You know I brought this very thing up a few months ago and was erased by Ed. I am surprised that Ed has allowed you to make accusations? Perhaps it's the potential for a class action law suit that prevents a comment like this that has been screen shot from being erased?
2015-5-22
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-4-14 04:26
SO let us all know how your lawsuit goes with 'your lawyers'  HA.  Lets see about $25-50k in disco ...

No, you have it all wrong there. Sure if he was suing as an individual for damages there would not be much point. But collectively as a class action suit, world wide, this could be enormous!
2015-5-22
Use props
Airosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

What about Lightbridge , HD long range video?
Now it's crap!
From 32ch to 8ch and less power?!
Did we pay the right price or are we just chipping in on THEIR $8B?
2015-5-23
Use props
kinsonlai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69662 ft
Hong Kong

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-23 07:39
I think we'll start seeing some of these features on the Inspire from third parties as the SDK get ...

Let's hope it's sometime soon before the i2 gets announced lol
2015-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules