First Time Traveling Abroad with Mavic
1974 23 2017-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pedge001
New
Flight distance : 49370 ft
United States

Next weekend, I'm taking my Mavic from California to Italy. This will be my first time traveling with the mavic (specifically to another country).

Any special tips or suggestions?

Thanks!
2017-11-21
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Always follow local rules about drone flying.
2017-11-21
Use props
pedge001
New
Flight distance : 49370 ft
United States

@Eagle_Eye Thanks. I've been reading up on the local regulations to do just that.
2017-11-21
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Make sure your batteries are discharged to 2 lights, pack them in fire proof Lipo bag install UAV FORECAST
and use before each flight and post some vids
2017-11-21
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-11-21 14:13
Make sure your batteries are discharged to 2 lights, pack them in fire proof Lipo bag install UAV FORECAST
and use before each flight and post some vids

Why down to 2 lights?  I hadn't seen that before in other "traveling" postings.
2017-11-21
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-21 16:18
Why down to 2 lights?  I hadn't seen that before in other "traveling" postings.

This will discharge the battery to 50%
2017-11-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Maybe you can also check if the place you are going to will be a No Fly Zone or not. https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=footer
Have a nice trip!
2017-11-21
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-11-21 21:13
This will discharge the battery to 50%

OK, I understand what the two lights will signify.  But I still don't understand why you suggest we do so?  Why is it necessary to reduce the charge in the batteries that you'll have in your carry on?  The cabin will be pressurized, so what problem might a full charge bring about?  I don't think folks do that with their laptops, phones, tablets  ? ? ?
2017-11-22
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-22 12:21
OK, I understand what the two lights will signify.  But I still don't understand why you suggest we do so?  Why is it necessary to reduce the charge in the batteries that you'll have in your carry on?  The cabin will be pressurized, so what problem might a full charge bring about?  I don't think folks do that with their laptops, phones, tablets  ? ? ?

Dude, any friction with the metal will cause ...
You need to cover the metal with plasticcap and or put it in a fire proof Lipo bag. Better be safe than

If not, let me know which flight you will take in the future so I can make sure I am NOT on it!

2017-11-22
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Because the battery has to be discharged to 50% they don't want a full lipo on Airlines..... Pretty self-explanatory LOL. You will need a lipo bag also trust me it's not worth the hassle and you don't want your mavic to get confiscated do you?
2017-11-22
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, some lipo bags for the batteries and tape up the battery terminals and you're good to go.
2017-11-22
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-11-22 13:14
Dude, any friction with the metal will cause ...
You need to cover the metal with plasticcap and or put it in a fire proof Lipo bag. Better be safe than  

You still have not offered why that amount  (or any amount) of discharge is needed.  I have lippo bags, I know to tape up the contacts.  
Also, there was nothing in my reply to you that was discourteous or disrespectful. Your last sentence was quite uncalled for.
2017-11-22
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-11-22 13:37
Because the battery has to be discharged to 50% they don't want a full lipo on Airlines..... Pretty self-explanatory LOL. You will need a lipo bag also trust me it's not worth the hassle and you don't want your mavic to get confiscated do you?

OK, I just did some Google searching on lipo batteries.  While there is pretty consistent writing about the the size of the batteries (over or under 100 watt hours), I can find nothing that requires any level of discharge.  And since many laptop computers have lipo batteries, I've also never seen or heard anything about the amount of charge allowed in your computer when boarding.  So, I'll be sure to follow the fire proof bag and contact tape rules, but I remain unconvinced about reducing the level of charge to 50%.  
2017-11-22
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-22 17:04
OK, I just did some Google searching on lipo batteries.  While there is pretty consistent writing about the the size of the batteries (over or under 100 watt hours), I can find nothing that requires any level of discharge.  And since many laptop computers have lipo batteries, I've also never seen or heard anything about the amount of charge allowed in your computer when boarding.  So, I'll be sure to follow the fire proof bag and contact tape rules, but I remain unconvinced about reducing the level of charge to 50%.

Dude it is a free country do what you feel like but DO NOT ENDANGER OTHERS!

2017-11-22
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-11-22 17:12
Dude it is a free country do what you feel like but DO NOT ENDANGER OTHERS!

You remain unable to offer something authoritative that says the amount of charge constitutes a danger.  I continue to ask you  to address this single subject of charge amount if you want to push your opinion.  You simply reply with sarcasm.  At this point, I'm done with you.
2017-11-22
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-22 16:54
You still have not offered why that amount  (or any amount) of discharge is needed.  I have lippo bags, I know to tape up the contacts.  
Also, there was nothing in my reply to you that was discourteous or disrespectful. Your last sentence was quite uncalled for.

Dude, take a cold shower and cool off

The OP asked for opinion and I gave mine. That is how I do it and I was pretty clear when I said you can do whatever you want to do but I don't want to be on same flight as you.

It is about safety, a discharged battery is a lot safer than a fully charged one in case of fire, accident whatever... it is the same when anyone ships batteries they have to be discharged.

Did you ever receive a FULLY charged battery with your dorone in the mail??? Common sense dude!

2017-11-22
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-11-22 13:37

No common sense he needs a Supreme Court Justice legal opinion  
2017-11-22
Use props
PilotC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1321214 ft
Australia

I have taken my Mavic to 5 countries and I would recommend being prepared for the security check at the airport.

I always remove the batteries from my carry on and get them scanned separately, otherwise you may get stopped and have to remove everything from your carry on.

And I carry the batteries in the original retail packaging.
2017-11-22
Use props
Guidutra5
lvl.2

Hong Kong

I am taking a plane to Italy now. I am using the Lipo bags,  contact tape and discharge the battery to 40% as I ready in another post. I am taking the plane in Hong Kong and until now no problem in the airport. I will reply when I arrive in Europe.
2017-11-23
Use props
Guido-Italy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Where do you go to Italy?
2017-11-24
Use props
Guidutra5
lvl.2

France

Guido-Italy Posted at 2017-11-24 06:55
Where do you go to Italy?

I am going to Cervinia. I entered in Europe from Paris and until now no problem at all. Sunday I am going to Milan then to Cervinia.
2017-11-24
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

Guidutra5 Posted at 2017-11-24 23:45
I am going to Cervinia. I entered in Europe from Paris and until now no problem at all. Sunday I am going to Milan then to Cervinia.

Happy to see that it's not too complicated til now.. Good luck for the rest of the journey
2017-11-25
Use props
Guido-Italy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Cervinia is fantastic you'll make fantastic video with Mavic !!!! Have a good holiday bro
2017-11-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Guidutra5 Posted at 2017-11-23 00:35
I am taking a plane to Italy now. I am using the Lipo bags,  contact tape and discharge the battery to 40% as I ready in another post. I am taking the plane in Hong Kong and until now no problem in the airport. I will reply when I arrive in Europe.

It is always to BETTER BE SAFE THAN SORRY!  

Have fund and post some vids!

2017-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules