What material do you use to re balance a Dji prop (Solved)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zippo43
lvl.3
Flight distance : 387126 ft
United States

I would Love to be re directed  to a link here that tells me what i need to use to add weight to properly balance a 2 bladed prop on a Phanthom..or where to take weight off a 2 bladed prop......Thank You
2017-11-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

None of the props I've had needed any extra balancing
2017-11-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you find a dji propeller off balance, you could lightly sand the letters near the hub.
Checking frequently for a newly balanced blade.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-21
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

i never add weight.i remove weight from heavest blade.med fine sand paper works good.also blades are spanwise balanced as well as chordwise balanced.
2017-11-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Flight safety is top priority and I do not suggest to add extra weight.
2017-11-22
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

This thread might give some info and tips.
2017-11-22
Use props
Drone Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3896588 ft
United States

This is how I balance my P4 props,
I also use a threaded shaft for P3 props.(never add weight)
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =1&extra=#pid381322
2017-11-22
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-11-22 01:02
Flight safety is top priority and I do not suggest to add extra weight.

Dji  Susan...But adding weight in the form of a small strip clear tape OR clear nail polish Isn't that OK...seems to me  much better then sanding material away so ?
    Also i have a nice prop balancer now and i tested quite a few   "new"  DJI props and i  find them balanced nicely !
2017-12-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

When in doubt, a heavy high speed industrial angle grinder...

RedHotPoker
2017-12-4
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-12-4 18:42
When in doubt, a heavy high speed industrial angle grinder...

Now are you talking about One Off a  4 blade P-51 Mustang or a little 2 blade plastic prop off a Drone  LOL...hello RHP !
2017-12-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Zippo43 Posted at 2017-12-4 20:45
Now are you talking about One Off a  4 blade P-51 Mustang or a little 2 blade plastic prop off a Drone  LOL...hello RHP !

Yes, full speed ahead... ;-)
image.jpeg

Grind me a pound... Whoops, wrong forum... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-12-4
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

I would imagine that DJI prop manufacturing moulds are designed so that the props is balanced already.  Why would you want to try rebalancing an already balanced prop straight from the mould?

You can pick up a pair of props cheap enough.

Why not just replace them, and avoid any doubt about possible damage to your drones motors, through vibration, or the drone itself, should a prop fail.

2017-12-5
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

props cheap enough maybe you should sand and balance before you can use them ... for safety.

I prefer to pay a little more and buy some lists to use ..
2017-12-5
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2017-12-5 03:54
props cheap enough maybe you should sand and balance before you can use them ... for safety.

I prefer to pay a little more and buy some lists to use ..[view_image][view_image][view_image]

Those would look great on that new Obsidian model.
2017-12-5
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-12-5 05:13
Those would look great on that new Obsidian model.

Yes  indeed !!
2017-12-5
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

I used them two times , and im very satisfaced
2017-12-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-12-5 03:38
I would imagine that DJI prop manufacturing moulds are designed so that the props is balanced already.  Why would you want to try rebalancing an already balanced prop straight from the mould?

You can pick up a pair of props cheap enough.

Actually that is not the case for any prop manufacturer in our hobby - even APC and Master Airscrew cannot get props perfectly balanced.

Props such as these are not a single material used in construction. It is not just a case of pouring plastic to a mould. They contain fibres and construction is based on GFN - Glass Filled Nylon.

It is common practice in RC flight world - which DJI is a part of - to check balance of props and correct.

There are many ways to do it and each person ends up with a preferred method.

BUT main thing to be aware of is distribution of prop weight. Adding or reducing weight in small area can cause dynamic forces and stress. So it is usual practice to spread correction along the back of blade. This may be careful fine sanding of heavy blade along the blade length or adding varnish / nail polish to back of light blade length. It is generally accepted that blade length and pitch should not be altered.

The method where thin tape is applied to light blade is a carry over from Helicopters where two factors are corrected due to the extreme length of heli rotor blades :

Balance longitudinally of each blade and balance to each other. So the tape is often moved along one blade to correct for equal weight of each and second to get balance point of each same position out from hub.

DJI props because of significantly shorter than heli rotors - basically do not need the same balance point measurement as long as they are equal weight ... ie balanced.

Nigel
2017-12-5
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-5 05:43
Actually that is not the case for any prop manufacturer in our hobby - even APC and Master Airscrew cannot get props perfectly balanced.

Props such as these are not a single material used in construction. It is not just a case of pouring plastic to a mould. They contain fibres and construction is based on GFN - Glass Filled Nylon.

Theirs not a engine made that don't benefit from a nicely balanced flywheel or a nicely balanced propeller.....or even the wheels on your auto OR  motorcycle !
    I speand alots of time at a small airport with many many "Vintage" planes with wood props....when their planes are in a hanger over a dirt floor they turn the prop so its horizonal  to the ground so it will asorb moisture more even ly then IF it still vertical....thats so it keeps balanced nicely !

2017-12-5
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

I always use small pieces of scotch tape to balance my props been using that stuff for 30+ years Zero issues. Most props will need only a 1/4X1/2" piece of tape  these drones aren't so sensitive as to even realize that tiny tape piece is stuck to the prop so its not like it will cause a motor any harm nor will it make any one motor run faster or slower then another due to the added weight. I use a lot of Master Airscreew Props for my planes and IMO they are the best props on the market, but even those will sometimes require balancing albeit very little. most of the DJI props I have are fairly balanced but none have been perfect and I have 20 sets total. As Nigel pointed out you want to apply the tape on the backside of the prop and I usually stay as close to the hub as I can and still achieve balance.  If I cant get balance with a small piece of tape I use some sand paper to get the weight down sanding off the DJI logo is a good way to drop weight.
2017-12-8
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
United States

Epicdoom Posted at 2017-12-8 15:55
I always use small pieces of scotch tape to balance my props been using that stuff for 30+ years Zero issues. Most props will need only a 1/4X1/2" piece of tape  these drones aren't so sensitive as to even realize that tiny tape piece is stuck to the prop so its not like it will cause a motor any harm nor will it make any one motor run faster or slower then another due to the added weight. I use a lot of Master Airscreew Props for my planes and IMO they are the best props on the market, but even those will sometimes require balancing albeit very little. most of the DJI props I have are fairly balanced but none have been perfect and I have 20 sets total. As Nigel pointed out you want to apply the tape on the backside of the prop and I usually stay as close to the hub as I can and still achieve balance.  If I cant get balance with a small piece of tape I use some sand paper to get the weight down sanding odd the DJI logo is a good way to drop weight.

Thank You "EpicDoom" and all the others that have helped me and many others with how to properly balance a Quad prop !.....i very much appreciate the replies .
2017-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules