Introducing DJI Goggles Racing Edition
41402 156 2017-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneRacer101
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_KMFlQ0Z Posted at 2017-12-20 23:27
Wow DroneRacer101, great initial OcuSync Air setup video!  Mine just arrived (with the Racing Edition Goggle package),... but I see I am way behind the power curve of understanding this.  I have a generation 1 dji Phantom and my plan was to use the OcuSync Air to get some “learning time” at FPV flying by hanging it below the quad in place of my GoPro.  I didn’t realize that the OcuSync Air unit wasn’t “stand alone” powered, but instead has to be wired into the controller.  Yikes, is there a “hacker” way to do this with my generation 1 dji Phantom quad?  I plan to eventually buy a Mavic Pro, but I really wanted to get some FPV flying experience first,... can you help with this, or do I need to find a less expensive racing drone or just buy a Spark to make this work?  Also is it possible to upgrade to a controller similar to yours to fly my generation 1 dji Phantom so that the controller can be connected to the Racing Edition Goggles for more “live” flight information?  Thanks

Interesting idea.  You certainly could do it.  I'm not sure I would, but to each his own.

How you would do it actually isn't that hard.  Relatively.  Do you have access to a 3d printer?  You could print up a little frame to hold the camera, Ocusync Air unit, and a 3S Lipo Battery.  Solder a connector onto the red and black wires connected to the unit and it will power up then you can mount it wherever you want.  At that point it's an independent unit and you could put it on anything.

For the cost vs quality though I'm not sure it's a great solution.  I think you would be much more satisfied with a Spark or a "real" racing drone.  Since you have the goggles they will do the analog connection which is pretty good in them and WAY better than what most people start with.
2017-12-21
Use props
djiuser_KMFlQ0Z
lvl.2
United States

DroneRacer101 Posted at 2017-12-21 09:31
Interesting idea.  You certainly could do it.  I'm not sure I would, but to each his own.

How you would do it actually isn't that hard.  Relatively.  Do you have access to a 3d printer?  You could print up a little frame to hold the camera, Ocusync Air unit, and a 3S Lipo Battery.  Solder a connector onto the red and black wires connected to the unit and it will power up then you can mount it wherever you want.  At that point it's an independent unit and you could put it on anything.

Thanks, but now I am thinking that rather than having the OcuSync Air function as “stand alone”, it would be even better for a “hack” idea to tie it directly into the controller of the generation 1 Phantom both for power and whatever data is available,.. much like you have done on your racing drone example.  Is that possible to do?  I was going to use an adhesive GoPro mount on the OcuSync Air unit to hang it and its camera underneath the Phantom and run the antennas out the tail end. (?) Any advice on this idea and the NAZA controller connections? Thanks.
2017-12-21
Use props
BBB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94101 ft
United States

Tried the new DJI RE Goggles today.  They are wonderful with the Mavic but not so good with racing FPV quads.  The aspect ratio of the image when used in Racing Drone Analog cuts off the top and bottom of the camera image...I assume the DJI goggles use 16:9 and the cameras on the latest racing quads use 4:3.  Instead of having black bars on the left and right portions of the image, the DJI Goggles actually crop the top and bottom of the image which does not work well when racing the FPV quads.  It would seem that this could be corrected with a software/firmware update on the goggles.

Any further info/comments?  I cannot believe that DJI let this slip between the cracks during design.
2017-12-23
Use props
BBB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94101 ft
United States

UPDATE:

The latest RE goggles update:    v01.00.0100 corrects the aspect ratio of the analog signal image.
2017-12-24
Use props
c4Lvin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8412 ft
United States

Does anyone know the differences between the 3 different firmware versions on the Racing Edition?  I don't see any information regarding that.  Thanks.
2017-12-24
Use props
fans2273a52f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 824829 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Grace Posted at 2017-11-22 19:02
There are up to 19 channels (5.8 GHz: 12 channels, 2.4 GHz: 7 channels) for digital video transmission, and each bandwidth is 10 MHz. You can select the transmission channel manually to avoid interference from other devices.

how can I record the analog video flying racing drones
2017-12-25
Use props
DroneRacer101
lvl.1
United States

fans2273a52f Posted at 2017-12-25 10:55
how can I record the analog video flying racing drones

With a SD Card installed and while in Analog Racing Mode just push the Function button on the bottom and it will start recording.
2017-12-27
Use props
fans9ddcaaec
lvl.2
Flight distance : 429108 ft
United Kingdom

Is it possible to connect Ocusync to an autopilot module like RVOSD which overlays telemetry in the video stream?
2017-12-28
Use props
eirikso
lvl.1

Norway

I got my Goggles RE today and are doing som testing with my existing analog FPV equipment. I have systems with both PAL and NTSC cameras. So far it seems like my goggles ONLY support PAL for the analog signal (I bought them in Norway). This seems strange. Both my fatsharks and even my dead cheap eachine goggles seamlessly switch between PAL and NTSC.

Is this something that can be fixed through a firmware update? It is really annoying that some of my equipment won't work because it is NTSC.
2018-1-6
Use props
PRGeno
lvl.1
United States

eirikso Posted at 2018-1-6 13:01
I got my Goggles RE today and are doing som testing with my existing analog FPV equipment. I have systems with both PAL and NTSC cameras. So far it seems like my goggles ONLY support PAL for the analog signal (I bought them in Norway). This seems strange. Both my fatsharks and even my dead cheap eachine goggles seamlessly switch between PAL and NTSC.

Is this something that can be fixed through a firmware update? It is really annoying that some of my equipment won't work because it is NTSC.

All of my cameras are NTSC and seem to work fine win my DJI Goggle REs.  Sometimes they don't initially sync up and I need to exit FPV Racer mode and go back in again, but it works 90% of the time.  

I do wish the goggles would start up in the last mode used, instead of reverting back to the DJI model home screen every time.  So far I've rarely used them with my Spark (my only DJI model) but frequently use them for my self build FPV models.  

So I always have to wait for the goggles to boot up, two finger swipe down, 3 swipes to the right and 1 down, tap, wait for the FPV menu to disappear, and then finally I'm ready to fly.  It sure would be nice to skip all that and be in analog FPV mode right away if that is what I was doing the last time I used them.  
2018-1-9
Use props
eirikso
lvl.1

Norway

PRGeno Posted at 2018-1-9 14:35
All of my cameras are NTSC and seem to work fine win my DJI Goggle REs.  Sometimes they don't initially sync up and I need to exit FPV Racer mode and go back in again, but it works 90% of the time.  

I do wish the goggles would start up in the last mode used, instead of reverting back to the DJI model home screen every time.  So far I've rarely used them with my Spark (my only DJI model) but frequently use them for my self build FPV models.  

I have now found that I have a similar situation. But strange: my PAL quads ALWAYS connect with no problems. My NTSC quads have trouble connecting, but it is possible to get a lock on the signal if I restart the goggles a couple of times. Yes: complete off/on.

Very strange. I'll have to experiment som more.
2018-1-10
Use props
timmy1
New

United States

will dji ever sell an ocusync receiver that i can use with our search and rescue ground station?
timmy

2018-1-11
Use props
fansd5c51b1b
lvl.2
Canada

Hello everyone.

I just got my DJI Googles RE and I love them so far even though I have not even flown in real time yet. I already own FatShark Dominator HD googles and that is what I have been flying my Tarot 200 quad and my hexacopter and it's been good. However the my DJI Goggles RE blow them out of the water. The main concern online is the lag delay of 50 milliseconds but for me, I notice no difference in the quick test I did and the view is amazing. Also, I decided to buy the Ocusync transmitter and camera and plan on retrofitting my hexacopter with it and then maybe my 200 quad as well.

I will most likely try to sell my FatSharks as I cant see ever wanting to use them again besides the size difference but its so worth it to get that view. I used to connect my Fatsharks to my PC and practice drone racing with the Steam game Liftoff which is pretty sweet, but now I use the DJI goggles and it's so much better. It makes is so clear and crisp and just downright amazing. I also race a lot better now with the new goggles, actually way better as I see so much more.

I am looking forward to flying my old multi-rotors and my new Mavic Pro Platinum (which I haven't' flown yet either) as soon as the weather improves and I get some time off work. It's great to hear everyone's experiences with the goggles and the Ocusynce transmitter as well.

Oh one final note, BBB have you tried to zoom in and out the analog view in the goggles, it may prevent the image cropping you talked about.

2018-1-13
Use props
Maxheadspace
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A trivial matter, but is there no Goggles RE icon for the user ID on forum postings?  My Phantom, Mavic and Spark all show up, but not the Goggles RE.  I see the regular Goggles on peoples' postings, but not the RE icon.  Just curious.
2018-1-17
Use props
fans51f2004d
lvl.1
Hungary

I have the mavic pro platinum and the racing edition googles and I get: "Failed to enter head tracking flight mode" all the time. I am very frustrated that I buy the latest products from DJI, I take the time to update all the firmwares (controller, aircraft 1.04.02, dji goggles re 1.00.01) and they do not work. The whole point of the goggles is head tracking so its a completely defective bad product from DJI for me.
2018-1-18
Use props
csamaniego
lvl.1
Flight distance : 497438 ft
Chile

djiuser_ZiNzFEg Posted at 2017-12-17 13:19
Hello! I'm Trying to map out the connections from the air unit to this flight controller.

[view_image]

Hi, this is my configuration to CLRACING F4S.

I switch to 9V and use the CAM+ pad, to power on. But in your F4S may be need use the 12V (battery). I don't see the 9V switch.
2018-1-19
Use props
csamaniego
lvl.1
Flight distance : 497438 ft
Chile

Check this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2761097
2018-1-23
Use props
fans07b92790
New
Flight distance : 216627 ft
United Kingdom

way too expensive as a package.  £600 with the camera and TX would have been better.
2018-1-26
Use props
Svacik
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1172267 ft
Czechia

Hi Grace. Is possible answer for my questin in my post here https://forum.dji.com/thread-132733-1-1.html ?
2018-2-1
Use props
ChrisRyan
lvl.1
United States

Will there be a firmware update to make these work with the Mavic Air? (Soon?) I didn't know they wouldn't work together, and I just want to know if I should return the goggles.

I am new to all of this, and my hope is to be able to take photos and video while using the head set. Eventually I intend to get into racing.
2018-2-14
Use props
fans3a74cf94
lvl.2
United States

ChrisRyan Posted at 2018-2-14 12:03
Will there be a firmware update to make these work with the Mavic Air? (Soon?) I didn't know they wouldn't work together, and I just want to know if I should return the goggles.

I am new to all of this, and my hope is to be able to take photos and video while using the head set. Eventually I intend to get into racing.

So these support playing videos from the SD card? I cannot seem to find any mp4 files I leave there....HMM 550.00 and no video support? odd no>? Is DJI REALLY that retarded?
2018-2-16
Use props
Guitars555
lvl.2
Flight distance : 451447 ft
United States

I do wish the goggles would start up in the last mode used, instead of reverting back to the DJI model home screen every time.  So far I've rarely used them with my Spark (my only DJI model) but frequently use them for my self build FPV models.  

I also wish they would start up in last mode used. I use mine for my Mavic and also my racing quads. My original goggles always remembered my mavic. I realize the RE goggles have the additional analog mode to deal with, but it is frustrating as PRGeno posted to go through the menu each time. With the Mavic, each time I start the goggles I have to re-pair them to the Mavic, including pushing the linking button, waiting for the goggles, etc. DJI are you listening?
2018-2-18
Use props
Guitars555
lvl.2
Flight distance : 451447 ft
United States

I do wish the goggles would start up in the last mode used, instead of reverting back to the DJI model home screen every time.  So far I've rarely used them with my Spark (my only DJI model) but frequently use them for my self build FPV models.  

I also wish they would start up in last mode used. I use mine for my Mavic and also my racing quads. My original goggles always remembered my mavic. I realize the RE goggles have the additional analog mode to deal with, but it is frustrating as PRGeno posted to go through the menu each time. With the Mavic, each time I start the goggles I have to re-pair them to the Mavic, including pushing the linking button, waiting for the goggles, etc. DJI are you listening?
2018-2-18
Use props
Ropalet
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

Hello.

I have been  tried to conect my dji ocusync air unit to my betaflighjt f3 flight controller with BF 3.3, almost all is working, but the OSD in my DJI RE goggles say 0 in all the parameters. What is the problem?.
2018-3-31
Use props
Linda Maria
New

Bangladesh

It looks more modern. <3
2018-5-20
Use props
BC NightOwl
lvl.2
  • >>>

Got mine ordered.  Can anyone recommend a good bag or case to carry them in?
2018-5-26
Use props
dronto
lvl.4
Singapore

thanks Grace, very comprehensive intro
2018-7-17
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

Maxheadspace Posted at 1-17 17:27
A trivial matter, but is there no Goggles RE icon for the user ID on forum postings?  My Phantom, Mavic and Spark all show up, but not the Goggles RE.  I see the regular Goggles on peoples' postings, but not the RE icon.  Just curious.

You need to contact DJI and they update it on their side.

Take a look a this thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-173381-1-1.html

Leave a message there calling @DJI Natalia. They fixed my profile with the Goggles RE icon in about 24h.
2018-12-4
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1643907 ft
United States

BE CAREFUL BUYING GOGGLES RE IF USING WITH MAVIC2. Without goggles re linked to M2, the M2 has great range, as advertised (personally, 4+ miles away in suburban enviroment) HOWEVER, WHEN GOGGLES RE ARE LINKED, THE SIGNAL DROPS PRETTY PRECISELY AROUND 1000FT, EVERYTIME!

In addition, with the goggles linked, it makes the entire systems range horrid. The RC flight control and Go4 App, all lose signal. THEN, AS SOON AS GOGGLES PWRD DOWN, SIGNAL INSTANTLY COMES BACK STRONG...

DJI knows about this issue but have yet to release any update on the Goggles RE.

Be warned!!!
2019-1-9
Use props
TANK78
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94587 ft
Germany

Hello,
i cant update my DJI Goggles Raceing with the new firmware v01.00.0700
Can someone say me whats wrong or what can i do?

Greets
2019-1-10
Use props
TANK78
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94587 ft
Germany

btw. i click on update the update is done, the goggles restart. All looks fine and than i see the same update for the goggles.
I think i have do it 10 times...always the same result.
2019-1-10
Use props
Spark in the Park
lvl.3
Flight distance : 725961 ft
Australia

So do these goggles work in stereoscopic and do they work with mavic air?
2019-1-27
Use props
Devildog01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1263924 ft
United States

I have both the RE and regular googles; had them both for a few months. When will I be able to use both googles at the same time as advertised months ago. I bought them for Pilot/ observer use.
2019-2-14
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 289567 ft
United States

djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM Posted at 1-9 21:39
BE CAREFUL BUYING GOGGLES RE IF USING WITH MAVIC2. Without goggles re linked to M2, the M2 has great range, as advertised (personally, 4+ miles away in suburban enviroment) HOWEVER, WHEN GOGGLES RE ARE LINKED, THE SIGNAL DROPS PRETTY PRECISELY AROUND 1000FT, EVERYTIME!

In addition, with the goggles linked, it makes the entire systems range horrid. The RC flight control and Go4 App, all lose signal. THEN, AS SOON AS GOGGLES PWRD DOWN, SIGNAL INSTANTLY COMES BACK STRONG...

I'm have the same issue, have you gotten any resolution yet?
2019-3-26
Use props
NrG_hr
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi flyers and drivers.

Just received my RE combo set goggles. First DJI product in my hangar. After one hour, i think it is first and last!

For that money range, deliver Combo set without battery adapter connector for Ocusync (1$), still without solved extreme hot work of O-S unit, DJI know for that and not put some little vents (another 1 or 2 bucks) in combo, idiotic on line activation, discontinued support!!! OMFG how I'm disappointing. Shame on you DJI, you are a cheapskate for few bucks to make easy life for your supporter and customers, and but not last, for what you offer, now I see it,  you are greatly overcrowded with prices.

Goggle is now on charger and cannot try, but after lost my nerves how to turn on O-S unit, i not have will to try goggles. Make miracle to find way to connect on battery-some your idiot engineer is put fem connectors but all knows battery usually come with fem connectors...or maybe you live on another world? And you expected to any of us have home tons of stupid never before using adapters for your products?

Who knows what I can expected in future after lemon taste start.

Sry DJI team, that is not way to make me fool for that amount of money.

Hope so to can use return policy on my store...
2019-4-29
Use props
Steve00
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4951 ft
Australia

Can you focus these goggles unlike the standard DJI goggles?
I got the standard DJI goggles there rubbish not able to focus them must think everyone has the same eye sight even cheaper junk has the ability to focus there goggles, DJI goggles are just a waste of money why you see so many been sold on eBay unusable to most people
2019-5-4
Use props
AzChopp3r
lvl.1
United States

I love my Racing Edition Goggles ! head tracking is Awesome! Only thing I would like to request is to put Reset Motion Control on a C button on the controller.
2020-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules