There are ZERO Federal "Laws" in the USA for drones, ZERO -
2850 26 2015-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

(this thread is in response to this thread FAA Now Trolling You Tube for UAS Violations)

There are ZERO Federal "Laws" in the USA for drones, ZERO -

I'm sick of people talking out their lower orifice, especially when they post the word, "Illegal".
In order for something to be illegal, a written LAW has to be broken.
There are no such laws to find. If you are speeding and a cop gives you a ticket, he HAS to write down a specific law number on the ticket.

As far as "someone is using a drone in a dangerous manner"
This sentence has NOTHING to do with drones, and EVERYTHING to do about "dangerous manner".
You could get ticketed for operating a lawnmower in a "dangerous manner".
You could get ticketed for operating a Kite in a "dangerous manner".
You could get ticketed for operating a Car in a "dangerous manner".
You could get ticketed for operating a Wood chipper in a "dangerous manner".
You could get ticketed for operating a Forklift in a "dangerous manner".

The ticket or law broken is for "endangering others" or "other's property",  it is NOT for doing so with a drone, a lawn mover, car, etc.

Typically the guys on the internet who post the word "illegal" are often the most clueless of the group -

Find me a LAW that says John can't fly above 400ft, look it up as if you were writing a ticket, (post the law number that was violated)?

I have always "voluntarily" followed the FAA suggested "rules" , but that's all they are, "suggested rules" NOT "Laws" -

Bob -

Now go ahead and fight amongst yourselves about it - lol

2015-4-12
Use props
e350coupe
lvl.2

Canada

I am trying to stay Neutral but this is a very "combative" and "challenging" post as if you are looking to pick a fight with someone.  Perhaps the best way to handle this is to SAY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
2015-4-12
Use props
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

FYI: The world doesn't stop at the borders of the United States - and there are indeed laws about UAVs in some countries!
2015-4-12
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Hi Bob,

so you are aware Bob there are drone laws and in Australia they have been in place since 2002. The regulations can be found in CASR part 101

AS an overview.......

Unmanned aircraft activities are approved for operations over unpopulated areas up to 400 feet AGL (above ground level) (120 metres), or higher with special approvals.

Special approvals are also required for other areas.

Operations are not permitted in controlled airspace without CASA approval and coordination with Airservices Australia

Can be operated in visual meteorological conditions (VMC) and /or instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) with appropriate approvals.
2015-4-12
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Let's me post for the non-us citizens what the faa stands for

Federal Aviation Administration (united states)

I will adjust the subject line to make it clear as to what I was talking about - (just the United States)
Sorry for the confusion, I guess the rest of you don't fight like idiots on the internet about this, like we do in the USA -

(this thread is in response to this thread FAA Now Trolling You Tube for UAS Violations)

Bob
2015-4-12
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

e350coupe Posted at 2015-4-13 07:59
  Perhaps the best way to handle this is to SAY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. ...

I'm thinking how nice it would be for you to heed your own advice.
If you have no comments about the usa rc flight rules or anything constructive to add to the thread, (anything else is just trolling) - This site would be a thousand better if guys just kept on going if they see a thread they are not interested in participating on -

Bob
2015-4-12
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

marco Posted at 2015-4-13 08:28
FYI: The world doesn't stop at the borders of the United States - and there are indeed laws about UA ...

Sorry Marco, you are soooo right - this thread responds to this one FAA Now Trolling You Tube for UAS Violations) and forgot about the rest of you - lol (u guys know how I am)

Sorry Wolfman, I simply forgot to include usa in the title, sorry again for the confusion. I'm sick of guys in the usa fighting about this, so I thought I would post some facts and give the haters a chance to prove me wrong buy searching the web for "LAWS" regarding rc aircraft -

Bob
2015-4-12
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

"There are ZERO  "Laws" in the USA for drones, ZERO -"  Very irresponsible comment and 100% untrue.
You might want to change that to "Federal Laws". There are many "State Laws"
Now go ahead and fight with yourself about it.
2015-4-12
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

sbarryjackson@s Posted at 2015-4-13 10:22
"There are ZERO  "Laws" in the USA for drones, ZERO -"  Very irresponsible comment and 100% untrue.

HI THERE, NEW MEMBER, FIRST POST, DO YOU KNOW RODGER?

FAA troll - (FEDERAL) not state,  look it up, then post like you know what you're talking about.
(I bet $100 bucks you argue with your reflection every morning while shaving)

What state do you live in ? Who cares, this thread is in response to the FAA
You are clearly trolling this thread like a jagbagger -

Bob

edit :

I have re-edited the title of the thread again.
I added the word Federal in the title as well, since my copy/paste FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION was not seen/understood by sbarryjackson .
Let's make sure the less educated can determine whether we are talking about STATE laws or not) - geeze -
2015-4-12
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Not trolling and you can do the work yourself, its not that hard. I was just here to fix your sub title that was 100% NOT TRUE.
BTW..you should stick to your Lincoln Tech degree and leave the rest of the stuff to the big boys.
2015-4-12
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

sbarryjackson@s Posted at 2015-4-13 11:18
Not trolling and you can do the work yourself, its not that hard. I was just here to fix your sub ti ...

HI THERE NEW MEMBER, FIRST POST, DO YOU KNOW RODGER?

Be careful, Dangier has a name for guys like you. (He was in the army you know) -

2015-4-12
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-13 11:03
HI THERE, NEW MEMBER, FIRST POST, DO YOU KNOW RODGER?

Bob you are always so obnoxious. Mommy didn't give you enougt hugs
2015-4-12
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

dennis@aerialpe Posted at 2015-4-13 11:23
Bob you are always so obnoxious. Mommy didn't give you enougt hugs

You are correct dennis.
I have a problem with jags on the internet.
You are a perfect example.
You have absolutely ZERO to add to the thread, but you feel as if you have some god given right to pull out your keyboard and put me down.

I laugh myself silly at trolls like you who think you can come into my barn and get my goat - lol

The fact is, all you monkey's know that I am RIGHT - Just hilarious -

There are NO FEDERAL LAWS in the usa.

Just VOLUNTARY flight rules -

So cry all you want, you know I'm right, (even if you say your own village ordinance says so)

@ sbarryjackson - CONGRATS on your First post, (so helpful) Here's Mine  
2015-4-12
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob,

You are correct at this point in time, here in the USA we only have voluntary rules and guidelines that have been in effect mostly by the efforts of the AMA Academy of Model Aeronautics in the USA.  The FAA has a proposal currently being circulated for discussion.

We have a long way to go, and hopefully it is not ruined by the few stupid people out there not thinking of anyone else but themselves.

Rich (long time leader member of the AMA) 53
2015-4-12
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

"@ sbarryjackson - CONGRATS on your First post, (so helpful) Here's Mine  " LOL! I think I learned that in 10th grade shop class. LOL@ you, clown shoes.
As I said...stick to your Lincoln Tech degree and leave the rest of the stuff to the big boys because its obvious you are stating things that are, just not true.
2015-4-12
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Thanks Rich,

mtmred posted this on another thread -

These are the RULES I myself personally fly by regardless of which model I'm flying.

These are Common Sense "Rules" that EVERYONE should abide by, for the safety of everyone involved, (even bystanders).
I have been an AMA member for 18yrs. They have MANY rules, all are meant to keep this a safe activity.
When someone disregards one of these rules, their action is "ignorant" NOT "illegal"

Buy no means are ANY of these things FEDERAL LAWS. They are voluntary Rules designed for the safety of this activity.
Ed should Copy/Paste these and put them up top as a *sticky so all the photographers buying I1 can be aware of what is safe to do with the I1 -

FAA Recommendations

Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
     Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
     Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
     Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
     Don't fly near people or stadiums
     Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs

2015-4-12
Use props
tpoznanski0331
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276204 ft
United States

I'm in California and the only laws are in the proposal stages. There are local ordinances but nothing written in law yet.  The only state laws I have seen pass so far are to do with law enforcement utilizing drones (Not saying that there are not more, just saying what I personally have seen).   The only FAA laws that would directly affect UAV use is for commercial (Very fuzzy picture) use and no fly zones (Cant fly anything without clearance), however those laws are not based or written for just UAV use.  As for this thread it has to do with the FAA (Federal) and Bob is right.  @sbarryjackson please share any laws that you have in your state. If your going to post at least throw some information in the mix and share what you may know to help others that maybe in your state.  I know this is a FAA law thread but known state laws I think would be a great thread to start.  Could be very helpful.
2015-4-12
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

Please allow me to bring a wider view on this subject. Lets start by asking ourselves (at least) what SHOULD be the purpose of LAWS. Lets skip discussing the obvious situations when someone intentionally produces harm or damage and procedures are required to be set in place to stop such undesired behavior.
The next will be a bit difficult for me to explain, but lets admit that accidents can happen to any of us doing absolutely anything from slipping in the bathtub or handling electrical items. A lot of things we do daily may pose a threat to ourselves as well as many others around us. Acting responsible is the best we can do to avoid such events. Being responsible involves both gaining the knowledge and applying it to the best of our ability. Laws and the means of enforcing them (or else they are useless) are a tribal way of building and maintaining a society in which individuals behave responsibly. I am categorizing it as tribal because even that it still works, it does not really work well in more complex situations which are growing in numbers as our society "evolves" (figuratively speaking).
How do these laws most often appear or change? When not "pushed" by what we call nowadays as "lobbyists", these changes in legislation are usually caused by events that trigger them, making our "lawmakers" learn from the gained experience. Thus, to the best of THEIR abilities, the changes are meant to avoid further occurrences of such undesired events. Please note that I have said THEIR abilities, thus such laws can be only as good as the knowledge of the lawmakers... at best.
In the recent years we have heard / seen a slowly increasing number of "mediated" events in which an UAV was involved. It only makes sense since the number of such devices is hugely increasing. In fact, scientifically speaking, the probability of an UAV incident is decreasing as compared to the increasing "population" of UAVs in action. That also makes total sense as those operating them are also gaining experience and knowledge, also sharing it between themselves and with the newer community members, thus helping avoid undesired events. Does anyone here have information about a single event (no military operation) when a life threatening injury or death has already occurred due to an irresponsible handling of an UAV? IF NOT, my personal opinion would be that our community has proven so far (as it is growing fast) to be very responsible one.
If you are one of those concerned about your safety or privacy being endangered by someone using an UAV, most probably will have no lesser concern even with stricter laws in place because laws can only help avoiding accidental faults or making it a bit more difficult for voluntary actions, but someone with clear intent and motivation in doing harm will not be stopped by any law.
If you are one of those concerned about loosing the some liberties involving operating an UAV, most probably should expect such liberties to be lost in the future before they can be regained back. I assume there're only 2 things that can be done to avoid such restrictions:
- get as much knowledge as possible and remain without the limits of your abilities EVERY time you fly
- be pro-active, for example by asking the local authorities to emit an affordable license permit as a test result, similar to a driving license; the main reason for this is because less accidents happen to trained people and harsh sanctions will not be applicable to licensed pilots when an event occurs by someone flying without a permit
Best regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-13
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Popcorn

I think I will stay out of this one...And watch the comments fly.
Now where's the popcorn at

Just had too

2015-4-13
Use props
Playful Monster
lvl.2

United States

I want to fly a UAS for business purposes…do I need approval from the FAA?
Yes. There are presently three methods of gaining FAA approval for flying civil (non-governmental) UAS:
Special Airworthiness Certificates – Experimental Category (SAC-EC) for civil aircraft to perform research and development, crew training, and market surveys. However, carrying persons or property for compensation or hire is prohibited. For more information, please contact the Airworthiness Certification Service, AIR-113, at 202-267-1575. 1,3
Obtain a UAS type and airworthiness certificate in the Restricted Category (14 CFR § 21.25(a)(2) and § 21.185) for a special purpose or a type certificate for production of the UAS under 14 CFR § 21.25(a)(1) or § 21.17. 7,8
Petition for Exemption with a civil Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) for civil aircraft to perform commercial operations in low-risk, controlled environments. For more information, please visit our Section 333 page. Instructions for petitioning for exemption are available here.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/faq/#qn3

YouTube pays for content if you have a large viewer ship making it commercial use

also

SEC. 333. SPECIAL RULES FOR CERTAIN UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS.

(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other requirement of
this subtitle, and not later than 180 days after the date of enactment
of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall determine if
certain unmanned aircraft systems may operate safely in the
national airspace system before completion of the plan and rulemaking
required by section 332 of this Act or the guidance required
by section 334 of this Act.
H. R. 658—66
(b) ASSESSMENT OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS.—In making
the determination under subsection (a), the Secretary shall determine,
at a minimum—
(1) which types of unmanned aircraft systems, if any, as
a result of their size, weight, speed, operational capability,
proximity to airports and populated areas, and operation within
visual line of sight do not create a hazard to users of the
national airspace system or the public or pose a threat to
national security; and
(2) whether a certificate of waiver, certificate of authorization,
or airworthiness certification under section 44704 of title
49, United States Code, is required for the operation of
unmanned aircraft systems identified under paragraph (1).
(c) REQUIREMENTS FOR SAFE OPERATION.—If the Secretary
determines under this section that certain unmanned aircraft systems
may operate safely in the national airspace system, the Secretary
shall establish requirements for the safe operation of such
aircraft systems in the national airspace system.

if that isnt a law what is
2015-4-13
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

I have to agree.. There are no OFICIAL LAWS.. just some recomendations to follow and of course common sense...
2015-4-13
Use props
drklion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2712825 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob,

First I would like to start by saying you are irresponsible to make a comment like this “There are ZERO Federal "Laws" in the USA for drones, ZERO”

There are individuals on this site that are new and are looking for answers to operating an Inspire 1 (focusing only on the DJI Inspire 1 here) in US airspace.

With that said your question is “Find me a LAW that says John can't fly above 400ft, look it up as if you were writing a ticket, (post the law number that was violated)”

That is a loaded question.  The answer is complex and fluid.  As stated by another post States, Cities and jurisdictions have implemented rules for UAS.  How can anyone answer this question with a yes or no?  

The FAA provided an interpretation on this matter.  

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

The link tries to give a guide for operating a UAS.

The problem that we have in the United States is that we have areas of rules.  If I fly my Inspire 1 as a hobby and obey the suggested 400ft altitude limit then I am adhering to hobby/model criteria.  If I cross that altitude and then I am taking a risk on interfering with FAA rules.  I would be in a full-blown FAA jurisdiction.  Their may or may not be rules for crossing the 400ft limit which depends on what was done but what if a manned aircraft was at 500ft and the Inspire 1 collided with it or not but was reported by the pilot?  All the pilot would do is say that the Inspire 1 put the manned flight endanger.  Which Bob has pointed out in this thread that it would be operating your Inspire 1 in a “dangerous manner”.  If that would happen then yes you broke a FAA rule.

§ 91.13 Careless or reckless operation.
(a)        Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

An Inspire 1 is considered an aircraft.

So my point is that Bob’s question is loaded it cannot be answered with a yes or no.  We continue to wait on the FAA to come out with specific rules for UAS’s but in the mean time everyone here is taking a chance when going beyond the operating criteria of just a hobby or model flight.  If someone would like to get the blessing of the FAA then look up Section 333 and apply for an exemption to certain flights that you may not be able to do under the hobby/model criteria.
2015-4-13
Use props
jaharrell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15417 ft
United States

As I understand it an “aircraft” weighing less than 55 pounds is a “model aircraft” and not regulated by the FAA thus one can fly a “model aircraft” as long as one does so responsibly.
The “problem” is that the FAA has jurisdiction over the airspace within the US and has stated that in order to use the airspace for commercial purposes their approval is necessary. Thus far the FAA has no regulation that clearly apples to the commercial use of the Inspire 1 or any of the many other so called drones on the market today but they do have lots of regulations governing the airspace and it’s use. The FAA has had problems applying their regulations to persons who do not hold FAA Pilot Certificates but it has no such problem with persons who do hold FAA Pilot Certificates. Any alleged violation of FAA regulation could result in difficulties for those of us holding FAA Certificates.
SEC. 333. SPECIAL RULES FOR CERTAIN UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS May apply to the commercial use of the Inspire 1 but that is not clear at this time. The FAA is currently working on rules that will clearly apply to the Inspire 1 but it’s not there yet.
I contacted the FAA Flight Standards District Office in Riverside, CA and was referred to the individual in that office who has been assigned the responsibility for unmanned aircraft systems (UAS). I sent him an e-mail stating my intention to use my Inspire 1 for commercial purposes and requested guidance. That was a week ago and I have heard nothing yet. I will post any response that I do get from the FAA here.
2015-4-13
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-13 11:38
You are correct dennis.
I have a problem with jags on the internet.
You are a perfect example.

YAWN !!! I think you should should call me some more names tough guy.  How about Bridge Troll, I like that better then just Troll.  
2015-4-13
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Playful Monster Posted at 2015-4-13 19:49
I want to fly a UAS for business purposes…do I need approval from the FAA?
Yes. There are presently ...

Okay, this is my opinion.... and putting aside safety.

The FAA had to do something when it comes to  commercial use and UAS. As a commercial pilot you spend a great deal of money and time to obtain your flight ratings. You need to be certified in every different type of aircraft following all of the FAA rules and regulations. This is a huge investment in time and money.
After completion you now qualify to take someone in this aircraft (FAR 135) and charge them money to get video or photos of the ground from the sky or a ride somewhere cross country.

Guess what this is a big industry and the investment of special aircraft (Helicopter and fixed wing) plus qualified pilots. Now you come along with a cheap UAS solution that can almost do the same thing....

I believe the FAA is protecting the established industry and there interests.  
2015-4-13
Use props
philbard
lvl.2
United States

Me, I'm wondering why anybody ever pays any attention to this guy...
2015-4-13
Use props
Playful Monster
lvl.2

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-4-14 09:36
Okay, this is my opinion.... and putting aside safety.

The FAA had to do something when it comes ...

I agree with you.  My point was if your video goes viral on YouTube and they start paying you for content H. R. 658—66 gives the FAA the authority over your commercial aerial video.

the headline was  "There are ZERO Federal "Laws" in the USA for drones, ZERO" and that is not true if you make a cent at flying

and that is my two cents
2015-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules