Tamper-Evident Screws & Regular Maintenance?
1435 2 2017-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Theo2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104167 ft
United States

As a Part 107 pilot, I need to perform and document regular maintenance procedures in my sUAV logbook. Every 20-hours, various items on the Mavic need to be checked and recorded; one of these items is to ensure that the screws have not worked themselves loose.

As I was checking the screws today, I noticed that the underside screw on the starboard side of the gimbal and the rear screw on the same side (behind the leg) had a clear substance applied to the inset of the screws. I assume this was done by DJI as some sort of tamper-evident measure. However, the insertion of the substance makes it impossible to ensure that those two screws are secure.

I removed the substance, checked the screws and then started to consider the implications of doing so. What if the Mavic needs to go in for repairs? Will DJI not find the substance and refuse me service? How can I observe Part 107 maintenance regulations without removing the substance?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

TIA

2017-11-22
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I would have just put a mark with a sharpie pin across the screw and the body. if the lines change, it's lose.

And yes, you may have "jiggered" your warranty, unless you can find out EXACTLY what they use, and in what location.
2017-11-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I was refused a warranty because the glue was removed from these screws, they thought I had tampered with drone, the truth was I never tampered with the Mavic, lucky enough I proved that I had one of the first Mavics made which at that time they were not using this tamper proof glue and after some negotiations they relented and admitted they had made a mistake and I got a warranty replacement Aircraft.
2017-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules