Flying into a canyon
1233 12 2017-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ZqRZSTa
New
Bolivia

Hello all!

I'm currently in Bolivia and have made already some really cool shots with my Mavic.
Couple of days ago I was flying near a canyon. I was wondering about the following:
I started the Mavic at a view point above the canyon and descended a little in to the canyon (drone was a couple of meters lower than the starting point). I didn't dare to go much deaper as I was not sure what the drone would do if the GPS signals was lost during the descend.
Therefor my question, what will the Mavic do if I descend into a canyon, GPS signal is lost and the drone is still way to high for opti mode (the gulch was almost 300meters deep and not so wide).
Later that day I descended to the bottom of the canyon by my self and there was indeed no GPS signal.

Thanks!

Maarten (the Netherlands)
2017-11-22
Use props
Camogreg 9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 528228 ft
Switzerland

Already did a flight in a canyon without any isssue! But it was 160 meters deep

Check the video I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkoQuqYonjM&feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkoQuqYonjM&feature=share
2017-11-22
Use props
Camogreg 9
lvl.3
Switzerland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkoQuqYonjM&feature=share
2017-11-22
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

"I didn't dare to go much deaper as I was not sure what the drone would do if the GPS signals was lost during the descend."

Good thing you didn't because you'd had an AWOL drone.
2017-11-22
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

If you had lost GPS signal the Mavic will default to "Atti" mode and you would be required to manually fly it with no positioning assistance. This is why you should always learn to "Fly" your drone instead of driving it through the airspace. Practice in an open field with other drones as you can not manually switch the Mavic to "Atti", have read in other posts of people trying to block GPS signal using aluminum foil to trigger "Atti" mode for practice.

Once you gain enough experience truly flying a quad it is soothing to know you can probably fly out of a Lost GPS situation.

On the other hand if you loose RC connection, depending on if the RTH setting is activated and the RTH altitude is set the Mavic "should" rise to the preset altitude and start returning back to it's HP, once out of danger you can cancel the RTH and continue the mission.
2017-11-22
Use props
djiuser_ZqRZSTa
New
Bolivia

Thanks for your response.
I'm just wondering how the drone is programmed, I think I have to contact DJI directly for this.
Will the RTH work if it has no GPS signal, does it have an altimeter not working with GPS but with air pressure sensor?
2017-11-23
Use props
djiuser_ZqRZSTa
New
Bolivia

Attached a picture of the canyon
20171120170659.JPG
2017-11-23
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

djiuser_ZqRZSTa Posted at 2017-11-23 03:09

Looking at your photo I believe you probably will maintain GPS signal as the top of the canyon looks pretty wide open, but you have a good chance of loosing the RC connection as the canyon is very winding and once you go past the first turn the cliffs will most likely block the signal and trigger RTH
2017-11-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_ZqRZSTa Posted at 2017-11-23 03:09

Nice picture!
2017-11-23
Use props
Welsh Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26493 ft
France

Gonna get a tracker to put on my Mavic, pretty sure I will  dare a bit much soon and lose my drone.  Had a scarey mo the other day, it got dark quickly and the drone was far away, then the app crashed and I had no idea where I was, started the app again, knew where the sun was setting relative to me so gained height and headed to my supposed direction.  Hit RTH and it seemed to decend and want to land  almost immediately, thought to myself goodbye drone and felt such a loser, little did I know the drone was where it should be but at 500 metrs and just wanted to land, app has no visual and light had virtually gone, on the point of despair, I heard it, right above me, i then realised, put faith in RTH, I hit the button again and my Mavic came down to home.  What a scare.  Loads to learn.
2017-11-23
Use props
Camogreg 9
lvl.3
Switzerland

Sorry for my link but can’t put the preview...
2017-11-23
Use props
Welsh Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26493 ft
France

Camogreg 9 Posted at 2017-11-23 08:51
Sorry for my link but can’t put the preview...

Yeah, was a problem the other day but I thought it got sorted.
2017-11-23
Use props
Camogreg 9
lvl.3
Switzerland

Still by posting a video from a mobile ...
2017-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules