gimbal re-initializing multiple times on startup - help/advice ...
1535 15 2017-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

My Mavic Pro just today started something I've never seen before.  First off let me say I've never crashed it and I'm up to date on all current fw/software (iOS).
I just drove up to my in-laws (loooonnng drive) and wanted to fly.  Everytime I turn on on the Mavic the gimbal goes through six (rapid) motins, abroptly enough that it 'clicks', presumaby hitting the sides with the camera?!  I also am getting a couple of errors (attached).  I have tried the gimbal auto recalibration but it never gets past 5%.
I checked for any obstruction, all bands are in place and the gimbal chassis is behind the "L" plate and it appears to all be seated properly (according to various photos I've seen on the net).
Would appreciate any advice or suggestions to try.  This has never happened before and I was just flying it a couple of days ago with no incident whatsoever, then packed it up in it's case and now trying to fly it at the in-laws.

IMG_0031.PNG

gimbal error

gimbal error
2017-11-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe post a video of what’s going on. Then maybe someone here could offer a solution.
2017-11-22
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Did you have the gimbal clamp in place while you were travelling? If the clamp was not in place then the gimbal may have suffered some damage in transport. Have a really good look at the gimbal without the Mavic turned on and see if it is sitting straight and whether it can move freely.
2017-11-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please try to restart the drone several times, remember to remove the gimbal lock, or try to refresh the firmware via DJI Assistant 2. If the issue persists, please send it back and we will help to take care of it. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2017-11-23
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

The gimbal clamp and cover was on during transport and I didn't have it on during startup so there was/is no obstruction that I can see.  The gimbal makes 6-7 rapid movements every 20 seconds or so, like it's re-initializing or something.  Anyway, I contacted support via email, he had me try a couple of things that didn't work either so now I have a return for repair case number.  The problem is that I just got to my in-laws and I'm 1000 miles away from home so I won't be able to send it back in until Dec 1.  I hope the UPS label they sent me is not going to be stale by then
Major bummer though. I had 6 nice lake missions set up and was anxious to show it off.  In-laws were anxious to see this thing fly.  At least they think it's purdy in the case.
2017-11-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

That’s a bummer, hopefully you find a solution before the 1st
2017-11-23
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

Woe Posted at 2017-11-23 09:31
That’s a bummer, hopefully you find a solution before the 1st

I decided to go ahead and box it up from my in-law's house instead of waiting until I got home.  It's not packed in the same box I got it in but it's packed very well and snug.  I'm totally bummed out that I don't have it for this trip.  There are so many  nice lakes I had lined up to fly around and the scenery here is beautiful.  grrrrr.  I hope the turn around time is good from DJI.
2017-11-24
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

marklyn59 Posted at 2017-11-24 09:52
I decided to go ahead and box it up from my in-law's house instead of waiting until I got home.  It's not packed in the same box I got it in but it's packed very well and snug.  I'm totally bummed out that I don't have it for this trip.  There are so many  nice lakes I had lined up to fly around and the scenery here is beautiful.  grrrrr.  I hope the turn around time is good from DJI.

Was it the same as the knocking behaviour that messed up mine?  (around 0:40 into the video).

I was less lucky as already on my major trip so I bit the bullet and bought a second one there and then on my trip.
When I got back to London and sent it off, it required a new gimbal control board.
Hats off to DJI Europe Service.  Sent, assessed, billed, reassessed as warranty repaired and back all within 8 days!

Ian

2017-11-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-11-24 11:25
Was it the same as the knocking behaviour that messed up mine?  (around 0:40 into the video).

I was less lucky as already on my major trip so I bit the bullet and bought a second one there and then on my trip.

Very nice video.
2017-11-24
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-11-24 11:25

Wellsi, sorry for the late reply... was on the road since I posted that and now back home.
But, YES, that is EXACTLY what mine was doing but it had never been crashed and I handled it like it was fine china so I'm not sure why it just decided to go bonkers on me.
2017-12-1
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

Received an update from DJI today.  They received my Mavic yesterday (11/30/17) and damage was "assessed" today and it's at the next step "under repair" which states should take 3-6 days including testing it.  At this point they're not stating what the assessment of the issue was but I hope to know that.   They've already specified it was covered under warranty but it *seems* they're not talking about the DJI Cares warranty so I'm just guessing that there is some type of manufacture defect/issue that's covered under the regular warranty.  I'll ask for clarification on that later.
So far, I'm really happy with the process, it's been smooth and they have been communicative so that makes me happy, but until my Mavic is back and a test flight is done by me, I'll reserve kudos for DJI until then
2017-12-1
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

marklyn59 Posted at 2017-12-1 16:59
Received an update from DJI today.  They received my Mavic yesterday (11/30/17) and damage was "assessed" today and it's at the next step "under repair" which states should take 3-6 days including testing it.  At this point they're not stating what the assessment of the issue was but I hope to know that.   They've already specified it was covered under warranty but it *seems* they're not talking about the DJI Cares warranty so I'm just guessing that there is some type of manufacture defect/issue that's covered under the regular warranty.  I'll ask for clarification on that later.
So far, I'm really happy with the process, it's been smooth and they have been communicative so that makes me happy, but until my Mavic is back and a test flight is done by me, I'll reserve kudos for DJI until then

Another update, Today was notified that my Mavic repair was completed and is in the final stage of Quality Checking.  So far I have nothing but kudos on their repair process, at least from a warranty standpoint, not sure if the process would be as smooth if I had to use the DJI Cares repair process.
I know other folks have had issues with repairs and time involved but hopefully this is a new and improved DJI Customer Service.
2017-12-2
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

Final update (maybe).
Today the drone is on it's way back to me via UPS.  So far I'm impressed with the turn-around time since they first got the done last Thursday.
However, I noticed that the serial number of the Mavic is different than what I sent in so I'm now wondering if I got a different drone...
I did ask for details of what was done to repair the Mavic so if anything interesting comes up I'll post here otherwise I won't bore anyone with more details.
2017-12-4
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

Last update (for sure)
Got the drone back.  It had an "R" in the middle of the serial number and best I can tell from SN searches, this is definitely a refurb.  I was told (via support email) that the drone I was to receive would have been one that was never flown by a customer but was likely ordered/returned without being used.
I was a little disappointed in the return, in that there was printed info stating the drone had been synced with my controller, but it actually wasn't, so I did that. The drone did look new, zero signs of any use, even on the landing feet, they did look totally unused on the bottom.  Overall, I have to give the DJI support/return process an "A".  I would have given them an A+ if they would have told me what happened to my original drone, just to know.  Other than that, it felt a little odd getting a replacement. I've gone through a lot with my original Mavic and felt a weird "connection" to it.  Silly, I know.
2017-12-9
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

marklyn59 Posted at 2017-12-9 07:25
Last update (for sure)
Got the drone back.  It had an "R" in the middle of the serial number and best I can tell from SN searches, this is definitely a refurb.  I was told (via support email) that the drone I was to receive would have been one that was never flown by a customer but was likely ordered/returned without being used.
I was a little disappointed in the return, in that there was printed info stating the drone had been synced with my controller, but it actually wasn't, so I did that. The drone did look new, zero signs of any use, even on the landing feet, they did look totally unused on the bottom.  Overall, I have to give the DJI support/return process an "A".  I would have given them an A+ if they would have told me what happened to my original drone, just to know.  Other than that, it felt a little odd getting a replacement. I've gone through a lot with my original Mavic and felt a weird "connection" to it.  Silly, I know.

I've gone through a lot with my original Mavic and felt a weird "connection" to it.  Silly, I know.

ya i understand as i am anal like that too lol Glad you had a good experience and back to flying again.
2017-12-9
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

Well, as luck (or lack of) would have it, I spoke too soon.
On about my 3-4 test flight I started getting various errors.  First one was a "compass needs restart"; then I got another compass error "compass abnormal solution".  This one is interesting because it implies that you're near something that could be causing mag interference.  I'm in an open area that I've used 50+ times before and there is *nothing* around or under me.  But the last error I just got seems to be the one that has me contacting DJI repair again... "Unknown error (code 205), cannot take off, please contact DJI support.
So I moved to another area, powered everything off/on and flew about 20' in the air.  The camera gimbal kept rapidly moving and the video record kept turning off/on very rapidly.  Saw the same error 205 so landed and here I am filling out another repair order.
Needless to say, I've joined the club of very frustrated owners who laid out a lot of hard earned money to get a replacement that is obviously lacking quality control out the door.  At this point I don't want another refurb (someone else's problem?)... I want a virgin Mavic replacement.   We'll see what DJI says. Right.
2017-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules