Love, Hate relationship with Inspire 1 (GPS is better on Phantom 2)
1067 5 2015-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scott.k.davidso
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189167 ft
United States

Still getting a feel for the Inspire 1 and FCPX (which I just starting using).    I love that the bird is so stable and agile that an amateur can come out with something like the video below.   Really enjoying my flights

The Hate part comes in regard to my Inspire 1's inability to keep GPS signal with the landing gear up.   Withing 5 seconds of putting the gear up, I loose GPS lock and go into ATTI model (EVERY TIME).    My Phantom is rock solid no matter what the wind and has consistent, strong lock on GPS.    I spoke to someone at DJI about the issue with my Inspire and they said that i would need to send it in for diagnostic and it would take 4-6 weeks.  With all the data this bird collects, i cannot believe that i cannot just send them a file so they can see if there really is an issue.     

As it still flies great in ATTI and takes great video, I cannot decisde if i should dent it in or not.   What do you guys think?   Are you getting good GPS lock, if so, it is worth it to be without it for 6 weeks to get this problem resolved?

Thanks for all input!   Would also be great if someone from DJI would comment.
2015-4-12
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

That problem is already addressed, it will be solved on the next firmware update, if after that keeps failing, then you will have to ship it back to them!
2015-4-12
Use props
scott.k.davidso
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Leo.   I hope the next firmware does the trick.    I mostly fly in ATTI, but when I plan out the next shot or take pictures I like to be able to think a little bit less about flying.

You may not have an answer for this, but do you have any indication of when the next update is coming out?

2015-4-13
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

I've had the momentary loss of GPS only 1 time in the 20-30 flights I've had . . . . but it is a very dangerous situation to have anytime . . .
2015-4-13
Use props
scott.k.davidso
lvl.2
United States

Acid,

I'm Jealous that you haven't had many GPS issues.   That's what makes me thing it may be a hardware defect on my end as many like you are reporting no issues.   I guess I will wait until the next firmware upgrade to determine if I send it in or not.

I agree that loss of GPS can be dangerous if you are relying on it.    One good thing about not having GPS most of the time is that it has forced me to fly in ATTI.   I can really say that this had made me a better 'pilot'.   I think that everyone should do some practicing in ATTI so that they are prepared should something go wrong with the GPS.

2015-4-13
Use props
scott.k.davidso
lvl.2
United States

Heading out today to see if the new firmware fixed my issue with the GPS loss with gear up.   A short 5 minute test the other night says yes, but we shall see if thats the case in the real world.    Wish me luck.

I am going to preemptively say thanks DJI for addressing the issue.  Now on to additional IOC flight modes, waypoints and follow me!
2015-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules