Phantom 4 Crashed Need Help Reading Flight Log
3599 19 2017-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7858b1b9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126765 ft
United States

My Phantom 4 Pro crashed and I'm not sure why. I was hoping someone could look at the flight logs and possibly give me an answer. I loaded the flight logs to Airdata, but I'm not sure what could have caused the crash. I can send my flight log for review. I'm not able to attach my .txt file within this post.

2017-11-23
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Sorry for the crash, you can post a link of your flight log
2017-11-23
Use props
fans7858b1b9
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, Vendex. How do I post my flight log?
2017-11-23
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2017-11-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
2017-11-23
Use props
fans7858b1b9
lvl.2
United States

Thank you guys for your help. Below is a link from Phantomhelp. Please let me know if I need to provide anything else from Airdata.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/8KHH5DP23WB6439TPSYL/#
2017-11-23
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Other than just stopping,. I can't see anything unusual.   Labroides is the expert, see what he has to say.
2017-11-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans7858b1b9 Posted at 2017-11-23 07:40
Thank you guys for your help. Below is a link from Phantomhelp. Please let me know if I need to provide anything else from Airdata.

Airdata won't give anything more (it has less useful information).
It might help if you can give a little more explanation than simply saying it crashed.

The flight record you posted ends 2:28.2 after launching.
At the time it was 179 feet up, steadily climbing and all indications are normal.
You started with a fully charged battery.
The Phantom was not tumbling at the end of the record.
If that's the flight that crashed, whatever happened was after the end of recorded data.
2017-11-23
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

How did the crash happen?  Give some more details.
2017-11-23
Use props
fans7858b1b9
lvl.2
United States

Everything was normal and I did do a steady climb. I was flying in about low to mid 40 degrees Fahrenheit and was in about 5 to 10mph winds. I'm not sure if weather would play a factor. I calibrated the drone. I was flying above a metal or tin roof. Previously, I've gotten the aircraft disconnected and weak image transmission within the DJI Go 4 app but the drone would work fine. I did receive both of those messages, but I'm not sure if that caused it to crash if that's not in the data.
2017-11-23
Use props
fans7858b1b9
lvl.2
United States

Also, there were no obstructions around. It just fell out of the sky onto the roof.
2017-11-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans7858b1b9 Posted at 2017-11-23 08:44
Everything was normal and I did do a steady climb. I was flying in about low to mid 40 degrees Fahrenheit and was in about 5 to 10mph winds. I'm not sure if weather would play a factor. I calibrated the drone. I was flying above a metal or tin roof. Previously, I've gotten the aircraft disconnected and weak image transmission within the DJI Go 4 app but the drone would work fine. I did receive both of those messages, but I'm not sure if that caused it to crash if that's not in the data.

I calibrated the drone , do you mean compass ? I was flying over a metal roof. Flying over a metal roof or around any metal structure is an absolute NO NO , did you get a magnetic interference warning or Yaw error.
Really need to see the rest of your log or get some more information from you.

What warnings did you get ?
2017-11-23
Use props
fans7858b1b9
lvl.2
United States

Yes, I meant that I calibrated the compass. I did not have a magnetic interference warning or yaw errors. The only warning I received was the aircraft disconnected and weak image transmission, but I've gotten those before and the drone worked fine. I included a link to my flight log on phantomhelp. Do I need to send anything else?
2017-11-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans7858b1b9 Posted at 2017-11-23 09:31
Yes, I meant that I calibrated the compass. I did not have a magnetic interference warning or yaw errors. The only warning I received was the aircraft disconnected and weak image transmission, but I've gotten those before and the drone worked fine. I included a link to my flight log on phantomhelp. Do I need to send anything else?

That log you put up ends at 2.38 there is either some that didn’t upload or it could be wrong log but it tells nothing.
2017-11-23
Use props
fans7858b1b9
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, Hallmark007. I saw that it ended there as well before it fell.  This was the correct log, but like you said it doesn't give me much.
2017-11-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans7858b1b9 Posted at 2017-11-23 09:49
Thanks, Hallmark007. I saw that it ended there as well before it fell.  This was the correct log, but like you said it doesn't give me much.

If you were 3 feet above it, maybe but at 178 feet in the air, the metal roof had no effect on your Phantom.
And the magnetic interference at 3 feet wouldn't make your Phantom fall from the sky.
In normal flying, you should never need to recalibrate the compass.
But again, that wouldn't have caused it to fall.

The log doesn't explain anything but the internal data recorder will have even more data that DJI can investigate when you send it in for repair.
2017-11-23
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

fans7858b1b9 Posted at 2017-11-23 07:40

Is it possible that you were close to the metal structure, and the controller's antenna did not have a clear line of sight to the aircraft antenna?  This could explain a complete disconnect and end to the flight log, as the connection was severed and shielded by the metal in the building.   This doesn't explain why it would have fallen from flight over the roof.  If all was well, a disconnection should have initiated a RTH after a few seconds.  Is it possible it hit a wire or tower or other structure on the roof on the way back?

Seeing as you have retrieved the aircraft, you could download the dat file from the flight recorder inside the aircraft, which would hold all the telemetry values for the whole flight.  This could indicate what happened when the aircraft flew over the roof, and whether any fault developed.  If possible, upload the dat file to a file sharing site such as dropbox, and share it here, prior to sending it off to DJI.  Dat files are much larger than the txt flight record in the controller.   DJI will rely on this data but aren't known for passing on what happened, only their final determination.  You will have better luck on the forum trying to make sense out of it and determining what went wrong and why.
2017-11-24
Use props
fans7858b1b9
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Endotherm. Below is a link to the .csv file that I created from Datcon. If anyone can tell me how you interpret it I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

https://ufile.io/2c8i9
Click the free slow download.
2017-11-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear the crash. Have you reported this case to our support and start a data analysis? You can contact support.us@dji.com and we will help to investigate the reason. Also, if the drone was damaged, please send it back for repair.
BTW, we have a tutorial for reading Flight Controller data, click here for more info.
2017-11-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans7858b1b9 Posted at 2017-11-24 11:27
Thanks Endotherm. Below is a link to the .csv file that I created from Datcon. If anyone can tell me how you interpret it I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

https://ufile.io/2c8i9

I don't usually work from .dat files so it's not familiar to me but it looks like that file doesn't explain the crash.
At the start of the file, the Phantom was already disconnected and in atti mode.
There is no change of altitude at all for the whole file.
At the start of the file there are no GPS sats and I can't find a battery % to match to the other file.

I'm guessing but I suspect that the file that explains what happened might be the one before this one.?
2017-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules