Censored Entries for using DJI Forum provision
123Next >
3167 80 2015-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Last night, after a new forum member kept responses to his question invisible to the audience
I tested the privacy provision provided by DJI when posting a new thread to learn how it worked.
Today Tahoe Ed censored the content.
I do agree that it is a provision that does not need to be there based on the results of my test and the responses by the members.
Censorship for testing/utilizing a provided forum feature. It is like giving someone a tool and then telling them they should not have used it.
I'm a little confused as to the censorship action.
I repeat, it is not a useful tool as we all learn from responses to the questions of others.
So, the bottom line is don't use the Privacy Provision in the Additional Options, Basic Properties of a New Thread template. It serves no good purpose and causes adverse reactions.
2015-4-12
Use props
igor_1949.yahoo
lvl.2

United States

It must be you were having to much fun with that.  
2015-4-12
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can see your point - I think the unfortunate deal here is that this forum is just floating in space. DJI is letting the inmates run the jail and it's not likely to end well. Forums such as this need very clear rules and active moderation or they quickly turn useless. I've seen it dozens of times....if we didn't have 6 full time moderators on my (large) forums, we'd have lost control within a week.

For whatever reason, DJI has chosen not to have professional setup and management of their online community....it's low on the priority list. I guess that's why they are calling it "Beta".

Running a successful online forum is not something which is automatic. In fact, most forums fail due to the inmates taking over the jail and chasing the more "normal" members away.

They did get a handle on the SPAM though...which is another big reason for some forums failure. But in the long run they will have to either  pledge resources to the forum, shut it down or not care if it becomes an embarrassment to them and their brand.
2015-4-12
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Yeah, it was an interesting discovery.  But we need to wait for the Private Messages (PM) feature to happen. Regardless of what we do someone won't like it. And it was really only a test/education of features.
2015-4-12
Use props
igor_1949.yahoo
lvl.2

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-13 10:39
I can see your point - I think the unfortunate deal here is that this forum is just floating in spac ...

So, are you also an inmate?  You are posting here also
2015-4-12
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-13 10:39
I can see your point - I think the unfortunate deal here is that this forum is just floating in spac ...

Well, I'm not bitter.  Just surprised.  Your right about the inmates running the show.  I read a pleading to DJI to fix the problem earlier and obviously they reacted to it. By censoring rather than removing the privacy feature.
2015-4-12
Use props
igor_1949.yahoo
lvl.2

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-13 10:45
Well, I'm not bitter.  Just surprised.  Your right about the inmates running the show.  I read a p ...

That's just the way DJI works,  never fix a problem, just shoot he messengers.
2015-4-12
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

This is not a jail, and no one here is an inmate.
People who need help are getting it.
People who wish to socialize are doing so.
Folks are playing games and writing poems...
Okay, I guess I'd call it a looney bin.
2015-4-12
Use props
igor_1949.yahoo
lvl.2

United States

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-4-13 10:47
People who wi ...

What is wrong with giving people the help they need and enjoying it.  It's not like they are getting paid to be here.
2015-4-12
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

igor_1949.yahoo Posted at 2015-4-13 10:42

Well, I have only made one suggestion.  That was regarding the posted wait before a Phantom ships from a purchase from the online store.  No reseller would survive selling product with the posted wait before shipping. So I guess I'm one of the inmates, but not really trying to run the forum like some try to do.
2015-4-12
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

igor_1949.yahoo Posted at 2015-4-13 10:42

We're all inmates - because we don't have the keys, guns and dogs.

Only those with the fancy buttons can really establish order.

So, yes, I'm an inmate but I try to read and follow the guidelines. Still, that's not enough. Human nature....people will get away with what they can. Works every time.

I was/am a jailer elsewhere. I started and ran one of the largest forums on the web - for 18 years. I could tell you stories......but won't since this is not my site!
2015-4-12
Use props
igor_1949.yahoo
lvl.2

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-13 10:51
Well, I have only made one suggestion.  That was regarding the posted wait before a Phantom ships  ...

The only ones I see running this is DJI,  they let some run amuck and sensor the ones they try to help.
2015-4-12
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-13 10:45
Well, I'm not bitter.  Just surprised.  Your right about the inmates running the show.  I read a p ...

I don't think they are doing that purposely - they are probably just in over their head and everyone is crazy with the P3 launch...and my guess is that no one (at least no one with decision making power) is involved in overseeing the forum.

Speculation, of course....but I don't think they have bad intentions, just clueless as to what it takes to really keep things more signal and less noise. They will probably get around to it as they are hiring like crazy.
2015-4-12
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

People who wi ...

Birdman,  In any group someone will have an opposite opinion from the rest.  I think the poetry is OK as the poet is so helpful with answers to questions/problems. I think the little bit of friction that goes on is everywhere, not just here. As an example, your comment about poetry could likely cause some issues.
2015-4-12
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

igor_1949.yahoo Posted at 2015-4-13 10:51
What is wrong with giving people the help they need and enjoying it.  It's not like they are getti ...

I don't see anything wrong with it. But if the operators of site see something they don't like, I respect their right to remove it. As I'm sure does everyone here.
2015-4-12
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

People who wi ...

I'm not saying you made a bad comment about poetry, but some may see it in a negative way. I didn't think it was negative. An example of differences in members, that's all
2015-4-12
Use props
igor_1949.yahoo
lvl.2

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-13 10:57
Birdman,  In any group someone will have an opposite opinion from the rest.  I think the poetry is ...

I like poetry, it keeps my brain active,  do they have a poet thread here?
2015-4-12
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-13 10:57
Birdman,  In any group someone will have an opposite opinion from the rest.  I think the poetry is ...

Ah, so who gets to decide if a poet or pictures of bikinis are OK based on how much a poster helps in his or her other posts?

I'm not down on poets, just giving an example....from experience. No poster is special Sorry. The ideal is that we all should follow the actual rules and spirit of the forum.

IMHO, anyway.

If one of you wants to move to China, the position awaits!
http://we.dji.com/job/Social_Media_Manager.html
2015-4-12
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

Padded walls are better than prop-guards, ya know. Just sayin'.
And prop-guards are better than prison guards. Okay then.
2015-4-12
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-13 11:01
Ah, so who gets to decide if a poet or pictures of bikinis are OK based on how much a poster helps ...

OK, I see your point.  I guess I'm just appreciative of the assistance he has rendered.
2015-4-12
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-4-13 10:58
I don't see anything wrong with it. But if the operators of site see something they don't like, I  ...

yes, That is why I'm not bitter.  They reacted to a concern. Or, should I say put a Band-Aid on it.
2015-4-12
Use props
igor_1949.yahoo
lvl.2

United States

I'm not down on poets, just giving an example....from experience. No poster is special Sorry. The ideal is that we all should follow the actual rules and spirit of the forum.

So, we should all act like drones or robots and not have any personality?  What a boring place this would be to work unpaid doing their job.

2015-4-12
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

igor_1949.yahoo Posted at 2015-4-13 11:20
I'm not down on poets, just giving an example....from experience. No poster is special Sorry. The id ...

Igor,  He has management skills from other forums.  That is the reason for his views.  The views are consistent with his experience in forum leadership.
2015-4-12
Use props
igor_1949.yahoo
lvl.2

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-13 11:23
Igor,  He has management skills from other forums.  That is the reason for his views.  The views a ...

I don't think I would be a participant in his forum.  Being a BORG is not a good idea.
2015-4-12
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

igor_1949.yahoo Posted at 2015-4-13 11:20
I'm not down on poets, just giving an example....from experience. No poster is special Sorry. The id ...

I believe it all boils down to "Give them an inch and they take a mile" theory.
2015-4-12
Use props
igor_1949.yahoo
lvl.2

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-13 11:31

That is why some are leaving.  They are not allowed to have any fun here while they do the job for free for someone else.  Some spend day after day here, some spend little time here because of other work.  That doesn't make them and less or more valuable or their ability to help others.  They do it because they like it.  Some of the people here might be the only friends they have.  No one likes to work with someone behind them with a whip to hit you when you laugh or smile.
2015-4-12
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

When flying the Phantom Vision
Two things can be guaranteed:
The neighbors won't like your decision
And think you'll be searching for weed. (theirs.)
2015-4-12
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-13 11:31

You can't imagine how true.

95% or more of those who use a forum want order and reason. A few percent want what THEY want - not what the owners or managements goal is. Others think every community on the web is like Facebook, Twitter or their own private "group".

Our forum(s) have 1 3/4 million posts and tens of thousands of members. We've banned about 10 members per year except one year when the inmates truly took over the place and we had to get rid of about 25. I think if you take ANY subset of the population in the tens of thousands you will find some that just cannot stay civil and respect others property.

There is a time and place for reddit (hopefully everyone knows what that is)....heck, I belong myself. I love the Florida Man sub-reddit. But when it comes to informational forums, I like information. If that's being too authoritarian, so be it.

Each individual has a different viewpoint on exactly where the lines are - and what the end purpose of the forum is. That's why I always let my moderators make the decisions....because they were on the front lines. Sometimes they are/were too strict, but again....so be it. Better to be too strict than to have users look at the forums and be scared away by the strong personalities.

However - in the end - our strictly run forums outlasted and outgrew 99% plus of other forums and still are growing today. Perhaps that indicates what type of community people (in general) prefer?
2015-4-13
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

We are being called inmastes because we don't agree with how DJI runs things???
2015-4-13
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ronnydsosa@gmai Posted at 2015-4-13 21:04

I don't think you understand the concepts involved.

Inmates means "regular community".
Jailers means "those in charge".....It's also said as "lunatics have taken over the asylum" - same meaning.

Maybe something is lost in translations. It's a commonly used "figure of speech". and in fact it means more that those in charge are not doing their job correctly:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lunatics_have_taken_over_the_asylum
"situation where those in charge are incapable of handling their responsibilities"

Sorry for any misunderstanding. It's not a slight on the users - but rather a comment that no one (capable) seems to be in charge.
2015-4-13
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-13 23:38
I don't think you understand the concepts involved.

Inmates means "regular community".

Droneflyers, thank you for your words of sanity.  Yes, some feel that DJI's forum is their own personal playground and become offended when we tell them to play nice.  If they want their own forum then they can start it or go over to Facebook and start the "Almost Dead Poets Society".  It will not happen here however.  Thanks again.
2015-4-20
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

ronnydsosa@gmai Posted at 2015-4-13 21:04

no
it is a place holder meaning , well yes us!   and rightly so if honest.

it is dji 's property and site. I know it is a odd concept that if you own something you set the rules.. my gosh how TERRIBLE!!!!

and yes a well managed forum will thrive as posters will not get belittled for not being "good enough" etc.

I belong to a long running CCW forum in ohio, about 6 to 9 moderators keeps it running smooth, each has different levels , thoughts and it all works great.

there are a couple posters that do seem to over do it and feel owed,  IMHO. to me if I help you and help you solve your issue. I am good
2015-4-20
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-4-21 10:55
no
it is a place holder meaning , well yes us!   and rightly so if honest.

Is there something wrong about knowing more about the poster with the question than just his problem?
2015-4-20
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-21 11:00
Is there something wrong about knowing more about the poster with the question than just his probl ...

nope Gerry , nothing wrong with knowing!

I think they are saying sometimes just what folks do with what they know and or think they know may be left unstated etc

That is just my guess and answer to your question. It means nothing more and nothing less!

also we must remember that this is world wide forum and many posters are not native English users.  to them I say awesome as I could not post in any  other language, I am happy to do English!
2015-4-20
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-4-21 11:06
nope Gerry , nothing wrong with knowing!

I think they are saying sometimes just what folks do wit ...

It's really all about what was said in a few posts previously,  going after the more senior members, deleting posts they make and censoring them with warnings.
2015-4-20
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-21 11:11
It's really all about what was said in a few posts previously,  going after the more senior member ...

I am a senior dang near 60 , no one after me!!!
2015-4-20
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-4-21 11:14
I am a senior dang near 60 , no one after me!!!

Senior as in been here the longest.  They don't know our ages, just when we signed on and how many points we have accumulated by helping others with their problems.
2015-4-20
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-21 11:11
It's really all about what was said in a few posts previously,  going after the more senior member ...

having 4 kids in sports over the years I bit my tongue off years ago, trying to keep mouth shut.

now I am older its much easier to laugh at things that p'eed me off in past

I tried to teach them discretion is key to doing what you want,  when you want  without drawing attention to yourself!!!  in other words don't go out of way tp piss folks off
2015-4-20
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-4-21 11:21
having 4 kids in sports over the years I bit my tongue off years ago, trying to keep mouth shut.

You're lucky, I sincerely envy you.  This is the only place I have a common interest with people and have made many friends.  Not to many friends in the area I live.
2015-4-20
Use props
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-21 11:24
You're lucky, I sincerely envy you.  This is the only place I have a common interest with people a ...

The Mr. Rogers of the drone forums.  Lol.
2015-4-21
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules