Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
solsystem7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6550331 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are reasons for mounting the GPS Antenna on the stand which is supplied by DJI or other vendors?
I came across 3 people today where I fly who have mounted their GPS antenna directly to the frame without using any type of stand to raise it above the frame. One person whom mounted his to a TBS discovery, had no problem getting all the required sattelites, and flew in very windy conditions using the GPS mode with no problem at all. Without the stand, there is no worry of snapping the mast if you crash.

Thanks for any info.
2015-4-12
Use props
wildanmar
New

United States

My understanding is to isolate the gps/compass. Not only is the compass less susceptible to magnetic/electromagnetic interference if it is kept away from other components, it keeps the vibrations that reach the compass/gps to a minimum. All the electronics and wiring in these multirotors can generate a lot of rf and emf, a good practice is to mount it as suggested. Yes, others may mount directly, but electronics can emit differing levels depending on several factors. It will only take one time to have a negative impact on the gps/compass unit, and the extra protection afforded by having it mounted as suggested is well worth the effort and far outweighs any cons.
2015-4-12
Use props
markimus58
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6296 ft
United States

wildanmar@gmail Posted at 2015-4-13 13:45
My understanding is to isolate the gps/compass. Not only is the compass less susceptible to magnetic ...

That all makes very good sense. However, if that is indeed the case how do they achieve proper "isolation" so successfully on Phantom? The puck sits directly above the FC and the unit is crammed with EF emitting components.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
2015-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules