Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
why is dji ruining OTG support
14630 208 2017-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-24 13:19
Dear all, I am really concerned about many posts in this discussion and happy about others. But to be honest I am not happy at all about the OP. The tone has been agressive and hostile from the outset and despite all valid explanations given by other users did not change in following posts. And unfortunately many others jumped on this escalation of emotions apparently with little prior reflection and further reading across this forum. And what should or could all this be good for any of us? Nothing at all! Please allow me to summarise the course of events:
1. As soon as the first of us got their Android Go 4 App updated to version 4.1.18, credible and well documented reports about serious issues with this version were published here (more than a week ago).
2. Instead of joining the discussion(s) on that topic that were already in place (what would be my usual attitude in a forum like this one: Reading what has already been reported and responded/clarified and then adding to it),  on a daily or sometimes hourly basis new discussions were opened on the very same topic, making it very difficult for everyone to be on the same page concerning statements made by DJI to clarify the situation.

Well said Wachtberger
2017-11-28
Use props
ArnoSpark
lvl.4
Kenya

well i didnt noticed the update till today then after updating i noticed that there is a problem on landing as well as no battery info on the app screen, of course i was using the OTG, then i decided to reinstall the app and still the same problem, then i came here to see all this issues of the update.
So i decided to use WIFI and all the info and the landing was on the screen.
So am not sure if what is happening to me is happening with everyone else?
I connect the OTG i dont get battery info (charging level, low battery warning level, voltage) the min i connect wifi i get all the info.
Well am not going to repeat what have been said, but for me my major issue will be i wont be able to use cellular data while on Wifi, am android Samsung J5 Pro so the location and GPS wont work if am connecting Wifi to RC, unless there is something am missing .
I used the OTG and i loved it i wish it will get back to normal soon.
and i agree they really ruin it since it was working well previously even though its not intended to but it was.
2017-11-28
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-28 07:34
Edd_88, that is not, what I meant.
To keep it short in the "OTG in 4.1.18 blinding pilot" topic:
I have read somewhere, that this setting, no 149, 151, ..... Wifi in CE areas comes with the android from google.

Hi S-e-ven, sorry for misunderstanding your statement, if any. The point I want to stress is that dji as a big company should have knew the " bloody android 5.8 band problem in CE areas" well before they try to sell the flymore combo to customer there. They should alert CE customer, even in Fine Print, that there may be some difficulties for you to fly more that xxx meter even with RC because the bloody android in your area not support the 149, 151... channel that dji chosen  if dji has no intention to support otg for spark or have the bloody problem solved in a very short period, say add some 5.8  channel that supported by CE android. How a general customer could knew which channel not supported or  5.8ghz CE: 14dBm means.
I suppose, correct me if I were wrong, CE android not supporting channel 149, 151... known by dji well before they choose these channel to fly the spark. Blaming android for this seems not fair.
More, I just wonder why dji rush to, if not intentionally ruining otg for spark, roll out the 4.1.18 which not actually improve much functionalities except add pano mode to mavic nor fix any major bugs over 4.1.15. It just invite argument.
2017-11-28
Use props
rxdeath
lvl.2
United States

so as of now dji has released 2-3 patches for the .18 disaster.  and funny enough, the problem isn't fixed.  after all the threads, all the concerned customers, not a thing has been done in almost a week.  

i guess we know how much dji cares about the android portion of it's userbase
2017-11-29
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

2.8/5 stars on the play store shows DJI commitment to Android.

All it takes would be a post by DJI stating it will be fixed in the next update or not. But they prefer to sidestep the issue.

Just make the post a sticky announcement that way it stays at the top of the forum
2017-11-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

rxdeath Posted at 2017-11-29 10:33
so as of now dji has released 2-3 patches for the .18 disaster.  and funny enough, the problem isn't fixed.  after all the threads, all the concerned customers, not a thing has been done in almost a week.  

i guess we know how much dji cares about the android portion of it's userbase

I count a total of six on this thread having problems with otg, and not all of them are having a problem android WiFi and app. So I’m thinking that there are not as many having problems as you think.
Some also have found update has helped, so hopefully it’s all going to be sorted soon.
2017-11-29
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

Go-to play store more than 3 people there bringing this issue up.

Check out the post on this forum - over 3000 posts regarding this issue.

It seems you are the one downplaying this serious issue

2017-11-29
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

https://forum.dji.com/thread-120380-1-1.html?

Over 3000 posts on this one thread alone
2017-11-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dansmar Posted at 2017-11-29 11:47
https://forum.dji.com/thread-120380-1-1.html?

Over 3000 posts on this one thread alone

120 posts about 18 posters most with no problems, over 3000 views so when you think about it 2880 people with no problems or none worth complaining about, so looks like the same people complaining on all similar threads, maybe best to just have one thread.
2017-11-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dansmar Posted at 2017-11-29 11:45
Go-to play store more than 3 people there bringing this issue up.

Check out the post on this forum - over 3000 posts regarding this issue.

Go to play store look through all the apps a lot more people complaining about apps than liking them.
Face up to it there are very few having problems with android app, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t need sorting but getting hysterical is not going to help.
2017-11-29
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

No one is hysterical, only your defense of DJI. This issue should be addressed by DJI. Your opinion means pretty much nothing as it is not an official answer
2017-11-29
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

The majority of apps are for freeware games, but you look at $500-700 hardware the apps run and support is present.

Funny the app works in iOS and all previous versions - but DJI won't officially address this error in the latest Android version

Again great hardware and iOS software but Android support is lacking
2017-11-29
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-29 11:28
I count a total of six on this thread having problems with otg, and not all of them are having a problem android WiFi and app. So I’m thinking that there are not as many having problems as you think.
Some also have found update has helped, so hopefully it’s all going to be sorted soon.

How many say no problem? Then we can work out the %
2017-11-29
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

Again you have no official capacity at DJI so your answers for them are pretty much you just your opinion - your opinion isn't really going to answer anything for anyone
2017-11-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dansmar Posted at 2017-11-29 20:20
Again you have no official capacity at DJI so your answers for them are pretty much you just your opinion - your opinion isn't really going to answer anything for anyone

Well then maybe you should contact dji support.
2017-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Edd_88 Posted at 2017-11-29 16:54
How many say no problem? Then we can work out the %

The vast majority say no problem, but this is not about them it’s about a few having problems and they should have their problems sorted, most of the people here come to complain about their problems so if you think most are having problems then we would see it reflected here.
2017-11-30
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 330686 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-30 01:48
The vast majority say no problem, but this is not about them it’s about a few having problems and they should have their problems sorted, most of the people here come to complain about their problems so if you think most are having problems then we would see it reflected here.

Virtually every android user within the EU should have problems switching to 2.4GHz when using the remote... (including those with a CrystalSky). The quickest way to fix this has been the OTG cable, until DJI pulled it from the last version of the app without providing a fix. I honestly don't understand how you can say that this isn't an issue?
2017-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Flip_L Posted at 2017-11-30 02:40
Virtually every android user within the EU should have problems switching to 2.4GHz when using the remote... (including those with a CrystalSky). The quickest way to fix this has been the OTG cable, until DJI pulled it from the last version of the app without providing a fix. I honestly don't understand how you can say that this isn't an issue?

The issue is not with otg its with the app,
2017-11-30
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

They are blind fan boys - look at the size of each thread. Most threads in the forum a few entries and views.

The ones related to 4.1.8 are multiple pages and thousands of views. Look at google play store rating for the app is 2.8/5 if you bother to check the most recent reviews the majority are reporting issues with 4.1.18

But some respond on here as they think they are moderators when their answers are just mere opinion and they have no official capacity
2017-11-30
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-30 02:56

You can not be serious. OTG is not supported and I believe it will never be supported in the future. So we all stay forever at 4.1.15?
2017-11-30
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-30 02:56

Which issue are you referring to? Certainly not the "android not being able to switch to 2.4GHz" that has absolutely nothing to do with the app.

"ruining OTG" of course has everything to do with the app and thus should be fixed quickly, for the sake of every android user in Europe. (Because I suspect that a WiFi fix wouldn't be that easy/quick, if possilbe at all)
2017-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Flip_L Posted at 2017-11-30 03:02
Which issue are you referring to? Certainly not the "android not being able to switch to 2.4GHz" that has absolutely nothing to do with the app.

"ruining OTG" of course has everything to do with the app and thus should be fixed quickly, for the sake of every android user in Europe. (Because I suspect that a WiFi fix wouldn't be that easy/quick, if possilbe at all)

Look otg has never been supported has never been promised to be supported so if otg is not going to be supported where are you going to look to to get your Aircraft working as it should.
Remember you purchased knowing otg wasn’t supported.
2017-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dansmar Posted at 2017-11-30 02:58
They are blind fan boys - look at the size of each thread. Most threads in the forum a few entries and views.

The ones related to 4.1.8 are multiple pages and thousands of views. Look at google play store rating for the app is 2.8/5 if you bother to check the most recent reviews the majority are reporting issues with 4.1.18

Your getting views mixed up with those having problems, maybe go through the threads and you will see the same people spouting the same thing that dji purposely bricked otg. This is ridiculous and makes a nonsense out of your argument.

I never insulted you or called you any names, so refrain from calling me names, if that’s the only way you can make your case then you’ve lost already.
2017-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-11-30 03:01
You can not be serious. OTG is not supported and I believe it will never be supported in the future. So we all stay forever at 4.1.15?

Otg was never promised to be supported, if it works for you on .15 then I suggest you go back to that and wait until whatever is coming gets sorted.
2017-11-30
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-30 03:21
Look otg has never been supported has never been promised to be supported so if otg is not going to be supported where are you going to look to to get your Aircraft working as it should.
Remember you purchased knowing otg wasn’t supported.

This is something I would like to ask you. Are you going to return your CrystalSky monitor because your spark worky a lot better with your iPhone, or are you ok with this? And did you buy the CrystalSky knowig that it wouldn't work properly with your spark, or was this dissappointing for you as well? (I don't have any OTG/Android/EU related issues at all as, thank god, I use iOS)
2017-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Flip_L Posted at 2017-11-30 04:15
This is something I would like to ask you. Are you going to return your CrystalSky monitor because your spark worky a lot better with your iPhone, or are you ok with this? And did you buy the CrystalSky knowig that it wouldn't work properly with your spark, or was this dissappointing for you as well? (I don't have any OTG/Android/EU related issues at all as, thank god, I use iOS)

I won’t be returning my CS , when I purchased CS I knew otg was not supported but was aware that dji would support it in the future, I also have a Mavic which I now mostly use my CS.

The problem here should not be about otg, otg was not supported when you purchased your spark it still is not supported.
What you need is to have your spark working for you as it was advertised and sold I.E. between RC and monitor it should work through WiFi , my CS works with wifi on 5.8 ghz but not on 2.4ghz that is a problem for me and I believe it will get sorted in upcoming firmware/software, I can get it to work with otg on 2.4ghz.
But where I’m coming from is otg has never been supported yet on the spark, yet we have the continuing argument that dji bricked on purpose , I don’t believe dji did this on purpose or tried to ruin it for those using it. Think about it dji would go out of there way to create disgruntled customers anyone who believes this is not thinking straight.
If the argument was about getting the app up to speed so as I could fly my spark in 2.4 and 5.8 with whatever monitor dji recommended, that’s the argument I would have no great difficulty in supporting. I have written to dji expressing my thoughts on this matter and believe it will get sorted, when we’ll your guess is as good as mine.
Until otg is supported the argument is pointless, if it does get supported and there is a problem then that’s another thing.
I can fly my spark using iPhone 7 in both 2.4 and 5.8 the video feed is fine I don’t have a problem with distance, this should be what android users should be looking for, But I’m not going to join the argument about otg with dji when you continue to get the same mantra Spark doesn’t support otg.
2017-11-30
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-30 01:48

"The vast majority say no problem"? The other former already express the view for me. anyhow, you may be right in certain extent for pilot in USA and/or who using ios like you. Do they brick the otg on purpose? I am not sure. I heard one and only one moderator deny so far and no dji official/support has a word on this. You really know what dji is planning? In my opinion, I presume very little, if not no one, here insist to fly with otg if flying with wifi can have the similar range and video transmission. Don't tell me to buy an iPhone!! If dji said they only support iPhone, I have no complaint. However, they also want to catch the market of android user, they should do their job to satisfy this sector even in CE area. Remember, dji make use of android and not android tailor for dji.
2017-11-30
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

DJI doesn't support OTG officially, but they did in practice, and many people, especially Android users in Europe, absolutely need it and rely on it.
Also, I doubt how many users were aware of the lack of official support of OTG when they bought their Spark. True, DJI never declared they supported it, but they also never warned they didn't, and since previous models supported OTG I don't think you can blame the users for getting the impression that it's a basic feature.
Sure, DJi can hide (or be defended by forum users) behind the claim that "hey we never said we supported it, so it's your problem". Officially I guess they are protected... from a consumer relation point of view that would be the dumbest step ever, and judging by the rate at which DJI issues patches for 4.1.18 Android - virtually every day now - it looks like they realize that.

having said that, it would be nice (and wise from a customer relation POV) of DJI to be more transparent toward its customers in acknowledging the errors they intend to fix, and also saying what issues they don't intend to fix if there are any.
2017-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Edd_88 Posted at 2017-11-30 06:17
"The vast majority say no problem"? The other former already express the view for me. anyhow, you may be right in certain extent for pilot in USA and/or who using ios like you. Do they brick the otg on purpose? I am not sure. I heard one and only one moderator deny so far and no dji official/support has a word on this. You really know what dji is planning? In my opinion, I presume very little, if not no one, here insist to fly with otg if flying with wifi can have the similar range and video transmission. Don't tell me to buy an iPhone!! If dji said they only support iPhone, I have no complaint. However, they also want to catch the market of android user, they should do their job to satisfy this sector even in CE area. Remember, dji make use of android and not android tailor for dji.

There you go again putting your foot in your mouth, I never said buy iOS or use iOS read what I said in the thread and then comment.
Adding these comments to your post to me just shows me you are just on a rant here.

Do you seriously think dji are going to come out and say they bricked otg on purpose, there is only one answer dji have given and it has been consistent since release of Spark, and I will repeat it again Spark doesn’t support otg, so this statement renders your argument about otg as delusional and useless, what you need dji to do is sort out the app for Android and I have been very consistent in my views on this.
2017-11-30
Use props
Not_That_Nic_Sp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158045 ft
United States

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-11-30 06:29
DJI doesn't support OTG officially, but they did in practice, and many people, especially Android users in Europe, absolutely need it and rely on it.
Also, I doubt how many users were aware of the lack of official support of OTG when they bought their Spark. True, DJI never declared they supported it, but they also never warned they didn't, and since previous models supported OTG I don't think you can blame the users for getting the impression that it's a basic feature.
Sure, DJi can hide (or be defended by forum users) behind the claim that "hey we never said we supported it, so it's your problem". Officially I guess they are protected... from a consumer relation point of view that would be the dumbest step ever, and judging by the rate at which DJI issues patches for 4.1.18 Android - virtually every day now - it looks like they realize that.

I have to agree with you on much of this. Had I known that OTG was on the verge of being blocked, I would have sincerely reconsidered my purchase altogether. Perhaps it's truly the intention of DJI to practice this bait and switch tactic and force consumers to Mavic to gain this stability feature.
Again - I fully understand the DJI's position that they never claimed OTG support for the Spark, but let's be real. It is and will be a large part of the decision making for many people this season when doing their research.
Saying it again - I'm relying on DJI to remedy. Patiently waiting on version .15.
2017-11-30
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-30 06:39
There you go again putting your foot in your mouth, I never said buy iOS or use iOS read what I said in the thread and then comment.
Adding these comments to your post to me just shows me you are just on a rant here.

Why should I rant? I am quite happy  flying my spark with android in wifi @2.4ghz. I've never expect dji will admit anything and never ask, Did I? I did and I think many here also did tried fly successfully fly with otg. It's fact,  How can anyone say "not support", at least in earlier stage. dji just said "not tested". Did I request otg support? I repeated more than once in different post that I prefer to fly with wifi and that's what I am flying with. Who's ranting here?? Who's putting his/her foot in his/her mouth??
2017-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Edd_88 Posted at 2017-11-30 07:47
Why should I rant? I am quite happy  flying my spark with android in wifi @2.4ghz. I've never expect dji will admit anything and never ask, Did I? I did and I think many here also did tried fly successfully fly with otg. It's fact,  How can anyone say "not support", at least in earlier stage. dji just said "not tested". Did I request otg support? I repeated more than once in different post that I prefer to fly with wifi and that's what I am flying with. Who's ranting here?? Who's putting his/her foot in his/her mouth??

Well did you say I told you to use iPhone ?

Dji have said otg is not supported by spark and not tested, and this has been said since the release of spark, again you fail to read posts correctly ,
If your happy with your set up what’s your problem then?
2017-11-30
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-30 08:29
Well did you say I told you to use iPhone ?

Dji have said otg is not supported by spark and not tested, and this has been said since the release of spark, again you fail to read posts correctly ,

Did I say.....No! The open statement I made is to make myself clear that I will not accept kind of buy an iPhone advice from you or others, if any. How you imply it, I can't help.
If there is any official document/statement from dji specificly mentioned, even in fine print, otg is not support when spark first release, pls enlight me. The hear say in this and/or other forum dose not count. My problem? How about I got too much time and have nothing else to do.
You also mentioned you are happy with your spark iphone setup earlier, what's your problem then? Same as mine?

2017-11-30
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

A lot of would be moderators, fan boys - let DJI speak for themselves regarding this issue.

Nothing but speculation
2017-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Edd_88 Posted at 2017-11-30 16:51
Did I say.....No! The open statement I made is to make myself clear that I will not accept kind of buy an iPhone advice from you or others, if any. How you imply it, I can't help.
If there is any official document/statement from dji specificly mentioned, even in fine print, otg is not support when spark first release, pls enlight me. The hear say in this and/or other forum dose not count. My problem? How about I got too much time and have nothing else to do.
You also mentioned you are happy with your spark iphone setup earlier, what's your problem then? Same as mine?

First I never advised told or asked anyone to use or buy iPhone (fact)
Second I never said I was happy with my spark and iPhone, again you don’t read post before commenting.
Third Just because it doesn’t say something is not supported (that somehow it is) well that’s just ridiculous.
2017-12-1
Use props
djiuser_OZVsrqg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 276 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone advise me where i can download the 4.1.15 dji go 4 from for my samsung galaxcy s7 edge as its no longer on google play
2017-12-1
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

djiuser_OZVsrqg Posted at 2017-12-1 00:52
Can anyone advise me where i can download the 4.1.15 dji go 4 from for my samsung galaxcy s7 edge as its no longer on google play

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... -release/#downloads
2017-12-1
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-1 00:07
First I never advised told or asked anyone to use or buy iPhone (fact)
Second I never said I was happy with my spark and iPhone, again you don’t read post before commenting.
Third Just because it doesn’t say something is not supported (that somehow it is) well that’s just ridiculous.

First - Your repeated statement is loud and clear. It reminds me an old Chinese Saying "此地無銀三百兩". (If  foreign language is again forum rule, I am willing to take it back. Believe me, each and every of the words is traditional and wise. No offence word. )
Second - This is the abstract of your post (#106) "I can fly my spark using iPhone 7 in both 2.4 and 5.8 the video feed is fine I don’t have a problem with distance,". OK, you are not happy. Sorry. I got you wrong. Should you be happier if you can fly only 100m with your spark, video transmission start lagging, jittering, lost signal and ask you for RTH in just 10 or 20m away?
Third - I just made you a chance to prove that you are right and I was wrong. Not taking it is really  ridiculous unless....I don't know.

Ok. that's it. I will not waste any more time, even I still have some, to reply any of your post until it became more constructive, rational and, more important, suck your foot back from your mouth.
2017-12-1
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

Typical response from would be moderator - if someone is having an issue and you have nothing constructive to add, then let DJI answer the concern. Rather than insult and claim people have thier foot in thier mouth
2017-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Edd_88 Posted at 2017-12-1 08:06
First - Your repeated statement is loud and clear. It reminds me an old Chinese Saying "此地無銀三百兩". (If  foreign language is again forum rule, I am willing to take it back. Believe me, each and every of the words is traditional and wise. No offence word. )
Second - This is the abstract of your post (#106) "I can fly my spark using iPhone 7 in both 2.4 and 5.8 the video feed is fine I don’t have a problem with distance,". OK, you are not happy. Sorry. I got you wrong. Should you be happier if you can fly only 100m with your spark, video transmission start lagging, jittering, lost signal and ask you for RTH in just 10 or 20m away?
Third - I just made you a chance to prove that you are right and I was wrong. Not taking it is really  ridiculous unless....I don't know.

Well it was interesting while it lasted , I have much respect for opinion and if we don’t agree then it’s not the end of the world, you area good participant on this forum and have much to offer. Until we debate again good luck.
2017-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules