Just Ordered the 5th Gen Ipad (WiFi only)
1384 9 2017-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VicGenesis
lvl.2
United States

I guess I have a question in regards to this.  I know I won't get the GPS functionality with this iPad.  I'll be connected via OTG cable to the iPad and have the RC connected to the Spark via Wifi.  My question is in regards to the lack of GPS built in.  Will I need this to use the Intelligent Flight modes?
2017-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is no lack of gps, you should be able to pick up gps almost everywhere, you don’t need WiFi to fly in fact they recommend you turn WiFi off and fly in airplane mode.
2017-11-24
Use props
VicGenesis
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-24 16:08
There is no lack of gps, you should be able to pick up gps almost everywhere, you don’t need WiFi to fly in fact they recommend you turn WiFi off and fly in airplane mode.

Thanks. I actually went out and got a galaxy Tab A today as well and tested it out.  Looks like I can still connect to Sats.  I've been using the OTG cable to connect to the RC and then WiFi from the RC to the Spark.  Much smaller tablet.  May keep it if it can out perform the iPad.
2017-11-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The GPS module is built in the aircraft, it will search satellite itself. It has nothing to do with the GPS of your mobile device.
Hope you have a great time with Spark.
2017-11-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

No worries there, all the satellite are coming from the AC not from wifi.
2017-11-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-25 00:26
The GPS module is built in the aircraft, it will search satellite itself. It has nothing to do with the GPS of your mobile device.

I believe the only thing you will miss when you use a NON GPS device is the dynamic home point (where it needs the location of the controller / device) or follow me.
I can't confirm this, but maybe a DJI admin can?
2017-11-25
Use props
VicGenesis
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-25 12:03
I believe the only thing you will miss when you use a NON GPS device is the dynamic home point (where it needs the location of the controller / device) or follow me.
I can't confirm this, but maybe a DJI admin can?

Thanks, I'm going to do some testing when I get the iPad and update.  I went out and bought a Galaxy Tab A last night as well and from what I can tell, I'm still getting GPS functionality.  Going to test it tomorrow and give everyone a little more of an update on that.
2017-11-25
Use props
VicGenesis
lvl.2
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-11-25 07:35
No worries there, all the satellite are coming from the AC not from wifi.

Thanks! That's kind of what I figured.  The AC itself had the GPS to look for the satellites and I'll be connecting to the remote via OTG so I shouldn't have an issue.
2017-11-25
Use props
VicGenesis
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-25 00:26

Awesome! Thanks!  After sitting there for a bit I started to think of the AC itself having the GPS to search for the Sats.  
2017-11-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

VicGenesis Posted at 2017-11-25 16:09
Thanks, I'm going to do some testing when I get the iPad and update.  I went out and bought a Galaxy Tab A last night as well and from what I can tell, I'm still getting GPS functionality.  Going to test it tomorrow and give everyone a little more of an update on that.

Yes, Samsung has a GPS chip built in in both Wifi AND their cellular versions.
2017-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules