DIY case for the ND filters using contact lens holders
978 5 2017-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I have a set of 3 DJI ND filters and 3 filters from PolarPro. While DJI filter case could be squeezed into a pocket of a FlyMore bag, PolrPro for some mysterious reson made a huge jewel-case with a lot of space between the filter nests, so that the case would not be fitting in the bag in any reasonable way. (I could have it in the outer pocket only if I did not zip it).
A post at MavicPilots that I read a few months earlier popped up in my head - there the OP used a contact lens holder and some polyfoam to create a case for the filters.

So off to the optics store I went and procured 3 such holders. The plan is to have one ND and one NDPL filter of the same strength per case. I decided to use a microfiber cloth that is used for cleaning of the glasses and lenses for the inner lining and polstering, and have it fixed to the bottom of each cup with a small piece of a dual-sided tape.

The result can be seen below. All 6 filters can be taken at once (in the outer pockets), or I can decide to only take, for example, an ND8 set.

IMG_2198.JPG
IMG_2260.JPG
IMG_2262.JPG
2017-11-25
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Great idea - nice work!!
2017-11-25
Use props
ghost_ATX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1277703 ft
United States

Smart! Love this idea. Thanks for sharing!
2017-11-25
Use props
40buickcoupe
lvl.2
United States

wow just got my filters same as you and cant fit them into my packed case what a great idea and the good thing is I wear contacts so plenty of cases. I might go one step further and glue a piece of foam in the top and bottom. Thanks for the great idea
2017-11-25
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

40buickcoupe Posted at 2017-11-25 18:30
wow just got my filters same as you and cant fit them into my packed case what a great idea and the good thing is I wear contacts so plenty of cases. I might go one step further and glue a piece of foam in the top and bottom. Thanks for the great idea

I considered foam for a short while, but decided against it. Microfiber cloth is designed to not give any scratches, which cannot be guaranteed with the foam. The strip of cloth, which I measured in the image above, folds over a filter, providing a snug fit - the filters don't move inside the casing. The also allow for variable thickness filters - DJI's a slim, while PolarPro has a high rim. As a matter of fact, foam would have taken so much space that PolarPro filter would not fit into the cup.
2017-11-26
Use props
Guido-Italy
First Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Great idea !!!!!!!
2018-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules