Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Controller disintegrating
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MartyBauer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 265692 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'll start out, my Phantom 3 Advanced and controller are always hard-cased.  Has never been crashed, dropped or roughed up.
The harshest thing it's been exposed to is temperature changes.

Went flying on Thanksgiving day.  Something was "not right" in the controller.  The right stick would jam in the forward position.
Could hear a slight rattle in the controller.
Since it's almost 2 years old, the warranty is well past expired and I opened it up.
Almost every tapped plastic post was cracked and falling apart.I think the main circuit board screws were the only things still holding.

Small pile of plastic scrap dumped out.
Proceded to drill out the posts for through bolts to hold everything together.

20171124_095900.jpg
20171125_144929.jpg
2017-11-29
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Looks like it has gone britle over time.
This can sometimes be a flaw in the manufacturing process of the plastic used to mould the casing
2017-11-29
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

You might want to keep a look out for a replacement controller
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Cheap plastics from China
2017-11-29
Use props
TheKJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 344085 ft
United Kingdom

Come On DJI If this is on there side you should get a free one and have the Plastic Checked so this does not happen AGAIN !!!
2017-11-29
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

This poor plastic seems to be not uncommon. I repaired my DJI P3P RC controller because of a battery problem last February, 2017. My controller was never dropped or stressed in any way; the first flight with it was back in August 2015. As you can see from the photo, when I opened it I found that most of the posts were also broken (rotten). This is probably why nobody repairs Phantom RC controllers...
Otherwise, mine has been working fine since my DIY repair, but I am a bit afraid that the thing will break up in my hands one day.
Have fun & good flying!

P3P RC Controller

P3P RC Controller
2017-11-29
Use props
MartyBauer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 265692 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm just afraid any replacement controller will suffer the same problem.
And I'm now re-evaluating what my next flyer will be.  This has given me pause on my original Inspire 2 plans.
Now if I can find the way to put an X series camera on a homebuilt unit...
2017-12-2
Use props
DL pilot cadet
lvl.1
Australia

Same here. Also conveniently my warranty was just less than 2 months expired and even though my flight logs prove it wasn't flown outside the warranty period, DJI said 'no longer our problem'. Now I've got motor mount cracks
2017-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules