2025 21 2015-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
x
lvl.1

Belgium

Hi everybody,

This my first message on the DJI Forum.
I'm a photographer based in Brussels and I recently purchased the DJI Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D to shoot aerial video with my GoPro Hero 3 Black edition. I wanted to come back from Iceland with more than pictures, that's why I went for a drone.

It was my very first project with a drone. I never had the chance to play with that kind of gear before and I really like how it opens so many new possibilities. I still learning and I fly in GPS mode... which make me feel safe for the moment.

Here is the video I did in Iceland. Any suggestions, advises about flying the drone is more than welcome!
The video was recorded at 30fps in 2K Protune on the GoPro.

http://compulsivephotography.com ... around-iceland/542/

Best regards,

Xavier.
2015-4-13
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

The still shots are fantastic.  The video is wonderful!  Very nice.  Thank you for sharing.  You saw some beautiful places for sure.

If you search the forums you will find many threads asking for tips/help.  Reading some of these will give you more information than you probably wanted.  There is a lot of good information crammed in this forum.
2015-4-13
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Beautiful!
2015-4-13
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beautiful scenery and well-shot.  
2015-4-13
Use props
aladrian
lvl.1
Netherlands

Awesome.  

I'm going to Iceland next summer, and riding around it on Motorcycles.. Planning on wearing my Phantom 2 in backpack while there.. Hoping for lots of great shots then too.

Al...
2015-4-13
Use props
x
lvl.1

Belgium

Thanks for your messages, really appreciate. Will check the forum for more info about flying.

Aladrian > I used the Vanguard UP-Rise II 48 to transport my Phantom 2 and the accessories everywhere in Iceland. You can check the pictures on the article.

Best regards,
Xavier.
2015-4-13
Use props
trgauldin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4105446 ft
United States

WOW!!  That was amazing!  I'm throwing mine in the garbage right now.  
2015-4-13
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

ONE word......... DAYAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015-4-13
Use props
bobavers
lvl.1

United States

Nice work. Iceland is on my bucket list
www.rjaphotography.com
2015-4-14
Use props
x
lvl.1

Belgium

Thank you!

Does someone know how to avoid the "jello effect" of the gopro... they are so visible in my video and I can't figure how to manage this.

Xavier.
2015-4-23
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

Very well done.
2015-4-23
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

Great video and well edited. I suggest using the gimbal to stabilize the video you take from the car (lash the drone to the roof perhaps). Did you have any trouble with the cold affecting the drone?
2015-4-24
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

Great Video I really like the Icelandic horses.
2015-4-24
Use props
x
lvl.1

Belgium

Thank you for the messages!

Granferfx > Ahahaha that's a great idea, never thought about it The problem is that the gopro needs to be on the front bumper, because on the rooftop you would see part of the car which is not so esthetic I think. But I could also use a gimbal for the car footage... I'm going to investigate on that.

Yes I had some minor issue with the cold, you have to keep the battery at a normal temperature, in a glove, or against your body, because they don't last as long as normal. Also the cold affected the gopro... some corrupted files... never have that before so I'm assuming it's the cold. Also I crashed once during my trip... no real damages, but I didn't get it... the battery was at 55% and I wanted just a quick footage, so I took off, and after like 15 seconds in the air the drone acted weird, like going left and right, it was really strange...

Best regards,

Xavier.
2015-4-28
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Great googly moogly!  The synchronization of the scene cuts with the music gave me tingles on the back of my neck it was so good.  Dude, that is National Geographic caliber stuff!  High marks all around, more, more!
2015-4-28
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

x@xavierportela Posted at 2015-4-23 23:07
Thank you!

Does someone know how to avoid the "jello effect" of the gopro... they are so visible in ...

I've heard using a ND filter will allow the camera to use a lower shutter speed and that somehow reduces the jello.  I also wanted to use a polarizing filter on my own Phantom/GoPro but had a problem finding one that was light enough so it wouldn't overload the motors on the gimbal.
Here's a couple of things to check out:
- http://www.snakeriverprototyping.com/v-series-filters
- http://shpws.me/CdM7  - Shapeways filter pedal
2015-4-28
Use props
x
lvl.1

Belgium

Thank you for your messages! Really happy that you like the edit and the music, indeed I spent a lot of time in post-production to sync the video and the music.

gil> great, I will investigate that ND filter. Thank you for this info! I have to be carefull because my Phantom II is already load with iOSD, transmitter and gimbal. so I don't how much more it can handle for taking off. I wish I had those ND filters before my trip!

Xavier.
2015-5-3
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

X,

Simply fantastic! You are a true artist. I couldn't even dream of doing anything like what you've done. Everything was gorgeous and seamless. I loved the horses and those canyon and waterfall shots were truly amazing! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing more of your artistry!

Jerry
2015-5-3
Use props
trsmith18
lvl.2

United States

WOW!...simply wow!

What music is that and where can i get it
2015-5-3
Use props
cj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 265121 ft
United States

Really nice job of photography and editing.
2015-5-3
Use props
x
lvl.1

Belgium

trsmith18@hotma Posted at 2015-5-4 03:47
WOW!...simply wow!

What music is that and where can i get it

Thanks!

The music was composed by Doug Kaufman.
http://dougkaufman.net/

Xavier.