DJI Pilot App Phantom 3 *FUTURE* Features???
4688 17 2015-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnl1906
lvl.2
United States

So I'm wondering what you all think we might see come later for the Phantom 3's features, as it pertains to the piolt app and the SDKs released for development.  I'm really trying to keep myself from canceling my Phantom 3 pre-order, and trying out a 3DRobotics Solo based on the app features alone.  I currently own a Phantom 2 v3 w/H4-3D and GoPro Hero 4 blk, which I got back in Feburary.  It just go warm enough in my area to where I'm able to start clocking some flight hours, so i'm still new this this.  As of know, I'm pretty impressed with my Phantom 2 but instantly wanted a few upgrades.  Right now I dont operate FPV (as I wanted to learn more before deciding what to invest in), and I'm getting really tired of detaching my GoPro from my quad when I want to use it sepeartely.  So I figured the P3 was the route to go, this was awesome, and pre-ordered one!....then 3DRobtics announced the Solo, and I viewed the promo video of the app features and was disappointed with DJI not implementating the same or having it readily avaiable unpon launch.
-
3DRobotics COOL app features:

• CABLE CAM - A virtual     cable for the automatic perfect shot.
  • ORBIT - Circle an object     for an iconic “wrap-around” shot.
  • SELFIE - Put yourself in     the center of a scenic aerial pull-out.
  • FOLLOW - Don’t want to     fly? Go completely hands-free.

Whats the likelyhood that you guys think we'll end up seeing the same app features getting developeved for the P3, also given they wont be done by DJI?  I seen some ppl complain of features never being developed.  If it's never, detaching my GoPro to get these is something I'm considering overlooking as I debate.  In my opinion these could make or break my purchase of who I go with.  With both launching at the same time, its kind of time to make a game time decision here.

2015-4-13
Use props
irrbloss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 210669 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

It would be very cool to have, but would also take the fun out of flying. Just press buttons and have it do everything. Then I can just go to Youtube and watch other peoples videos .
2015-4-13
Use props
kss113
lvl.2
United States

Altitude measurements, Temp, wind speed ect..
2015-4-13
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm just not that good looking.....I have about 15,000 pictures on my computer and about 10 of them are of me!

I guess if one is devilishly handsome and likes watching themselves on video....then selfies are cool. I like fly by's with me ducking my head out of the way, but that's about it.

It's a lot of trouble to put good scenes together. Most folks just aren't going to do it. The 3DR stuff has had follow me and a lot of that stuff for a year or more - how many good videos of it are online?

I think programmers will eventually have the entire kitchen sink and more. But like fonts and clip art, most of us will make limited us of them - preferring to be in control.

It will take a couple more generations for these modes to become really useful IMHO - example, I definitely want a "follow me" when I'm on my sailboat, but I also want the drone to know to go from side to side and above and below to get all kinds of various angles - and I want it to be able to land in the water on floats if it runs out of battery......and I want it to be able to really fight the wind to get some good sailing shots.

All the pieces will come together someday - but we are not there yet. Until then many of the auto features are asking for trouble. I think that's why DJI took out the ground station. It's a surefire way for a newbie (or even experienced pilot) to lose their craft or crash into a crowd, etc.
2015-4-13
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-14 11:32
I'm just not that good looking.....I have about 15,000 pictures on my computer and about 10 of them  ...

If you're sailing, you may want the much greater speed of the Inspire.
2015-4-13
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

msjh Posted at 2015-4-14 15:44
If you're sailing, you may want the much greater speed of the Inspire.

Ill take the 5 extra minutes of flying time over the extra 6 meters a sec speed, but thats just me.  35 mph is plenty fast enough...for now
2015-4-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

My tri sails at about 12 knots - but the wind is at a cross of about 15 knots or so at that time....I think it would be tough without at least a second operator!

Even then...this summer I think I'll try to "sailing at 8 knots close to shore" shots - at that point the wind will be less than 10 knots.

It would be great to have a quad smart enough to fly all around the boat at various angles and take video....that's the kind of thing that the airdog quad is shooting for, but I don't know if they will ever make it. My thoughts are that we'd have to be ready to sacrifice a quad if we wanted to do a great job - and ideally we'd have a motorboat running nearby with the operator on it.

Complicated....which I guess is why the big boys still use helicopters.....

2015-4-14
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Jerdel Posted at 2015-4-14 20:31
Ill take the 5 extra minutes of flying time over the extra 6 meters a sec speed, but thats just me ...

Don't forget - you can and do sail into the wind: you're going one way, the wind another. You might well find your Phantom struggling to get back to you.
2015-4-14
Use props
johnl1906
lvl.2
United States

Yea, i'm speaking solely from a photographer/videographer's angle.  Really the only two features that are of concern to me in wanting to have are the cable cam and the orbit.  Dont get me wrong, I love flying my quad, but to be able to obtain that kind of video at the click of a button would be cool, or to have the drone fly "cable arm style" while i'm controlling the cam would be awesome.  Have since decided that I'm sticking with the P3 over trying out the Solo.  Would be cool to play with tho
2015-4-14
Use props
hankhill123
lvl.1

United States

How about a self destruct mode?  If someone steals your phantom you press a button and it explodes
2015-4-14
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

3Drobotics rocks!! some of my friend already did order....
2015-4-15
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

I think Im gonna stick with my future plans and get a Pahantom 3 Pro. It does mostly what I want(missing ground station) and is a trusted platform. Maybe in the future if a competitor comes out with a better drone at a cheaper price and it gains my trust then I might make the switch. Things im currently looking for in a drone.

Required
Long Range:Control and live video feed. Pretty much anything you could do within 20 ft of the drone should be able to be done at 2000ft
Stability
Stability in wind
Live video feed
GPS and Return to home
1080p or 4K video
Control over the camera through remote or App
15 minutes or more of Battery Life

Optional perks that may sway me one way or another(if all of the above are met)
Ground station or waypoint flight
Longer Battery Life
Better Camera Quality
Inspire 1 like camera controls
Vertical or Horizontal speed
DJI goes bat **** crazy and ruins the usefulness of the Phantom 3 through some kind of Firmware update that cripples it.
Amazing low price that just kills the appeal  of the Phantom 3.
Some other mind blowing feature that is just "can't live without"   
2015-4-15
Use props
johnl1906
lvl.2
United States

^^^ LOL your "required" list is the Phantom 3 spec list hahahahaha
2015-4-16
Use props
HalloweenBob
lvl.1

United States

I have the Phantom 3 Professional and love it! I do like to fly it myself and stay at the controls, but at the same time, I would love to fly out to an object and kick in a POI or Orbit app and have it circle smoothly while keeping the camera focused on a single spot. This is VERY difficult to do and almost impossible to do smoothly manually. That is really the only feature on my wish-list that didn't already come with the Phantom 3 pro.
2015-7-1
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

I would like POI and path following.  I'd like to be able to set up a sweeping shot and not have to worry so much about my flying skills.  I've toyed with the idea of becoming a developer but with all the issues concerning product delivery and firmware updates, I'm waiting a while to insure DJI is still in business before I devote the time required to code such things.  There's an existing $10 app that kinda' does these things but not the way I'd like.
2015-7-1
Use props
BMWKante
lvl.2

Austria

required: synchronization of flights which last longer than 15 minutes (android Version app)
2015-7-2
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

As we have learned, DJI will be happy to add all those features ... in their Phantom 4 software. Your chances of seeing those features in the Phanom 3 app are about the same as seeing an iPad version of the Phantom 2 app.
2015-7-2
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-14 21:38
My tri sails at about 12 knots - but the wind is at a cross of about 15 knots or so at that time.... ...

Try this video:    https://youtu.be/Iyw2jTUdKiI
Inspire 1
2015-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules