Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Poll] What do you think of the proposed new UK rules? [Vote]
8753 27 2017-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The UK government has announced they're planning on updating the UK regulations for drone use in the UK.
Details can be seen in the below:

https://www.heliguy.com/blog/201 ... ulations-announced/

Interested to see what UK and non-UK residents think about the suggestions.
Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 2 entry optional ), Total 40 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

26.19% (11)
19.05% (8)
9.52% (4)
28.57% (12)
16.67% (7)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-11-27
Use props
droneflyer101
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm happy as long as it doesn't cost, the us trailed a cost version and ended up refunding people
2017-11-28
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

droneflyer101 Posted at 2017-11-28 06:04
I'm happy as long as it doesn't cost, the us trailed a cost version and ended up refunding people

Completely agree! It needs to be free or there will be a lot of unhappy pilots around!
2017-11-28
Use props
mooreheadproduc
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Not happy at all! Why should we have to sit a test to fly a small drone! Ridiculous.
2017-11-28
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

mooreheadproduc Posted at 2017-11-28 06:42
Not happy at all! Why should we have to sit a test to fly a small drone! Ridiculous.

It seems like it'll only be stuff we should know anyway!
2017-11-28
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Does anyone at DJI know if they're involved with the testing like in the US?
2017-11-28
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Much the same as came out in Germany a couple of months ago. The knowledge test is a farce, took 15 minutes online and cost 25 Euros. Beter these rules as none or a complete ban.
2017-11-29
Use props
Delta Mike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27188 ft
United Kingdom

mooreheadproduc Posted at 2017-11-28 06:42

Because there are soooo many idiots and irresponsible owners and I like to think that the new rules might curtail their activities.
2018-3-18
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

people complained in the same was about driving tests and car insurance.  The fact is a small cheap drone can do a lot of dangerous and criminal things.  Sadly there are  many idiots in the UK with drones. From what I have seen recently of the proposed rules it is fairly basic and common sense.   I expect there will be a cost to it but it seems fair enough.
2018-11-7
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

The rest of the population always have to suffer because of some idiot.
2018-12-29
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Delta Mike Posted at 2018-3-18 08:10
Because there are soooo many idiots and irresponsible owners and I like to think that the new rules might curtail their activities.

I agree in principle but in reality we know this will not work! I hold a PPLH and have been on approach when a pr** with a RC airplane tried to race me! So this nonsense about drone is not just for drone its all RC aircraft (drones can at least be controlled by software) my old Esky RC heli wasnt could fly anywhere)

The new rules are an idea that I dont think will stop the idiots by they will make the work of ATC a lot hard if I wish to fly inside the zone as I will need to call them!

My other issue is that if most drones are geo fenced and height and distance limited (maybe not the older models)  the 400FT is the max height it can fly too, Im in the South and Id like to know at what point outside of 2.6KM an aircraft is allowed below 1000ft  unless on final and even then I doubt very many drop below 400ft outside of 1 mile final or climb out! And if they do then I think they will be the ones not following the rules! Increasing the distances will not stop idiots or who don't care or are unaware or people who are deliberately breaking them!

Let face it how many people have a driving licence but ignore most of the rules in the highway code! Hmmm Speeding springs to mind and mobile phone use this is one that government legislation bought in in to tackle new technology and it just gets ignored!

Why dont they make an incentive for whistle blowers like a large reward for shopping someone who acts inconsiderately, lets face it most of these idiots will be showing of to a mate and if there is video footage posted online then maybe the government could review this footage then prosecute the poster this way the medium to display reckless footage would less of an attraction even if the poster was not the pilot in command.

How may people have actually been caught and how are the general public going to measure how far the drone is from the nearest airport, most of the reports will be from the public who hate drones so will not be calling regarding aircraft safety but more out of annoyance and spite! Then the police have to attend but the report will be vague as to where it might be so then there will be wasted police time as they will need to locate it and then try and track down the pilot (all the time there will be real crime going on that will take a back seat).

Also this will now be used as a good diversion for the police to keep them occupied while something more sinister take place.

I understand the need to stop the like of the Gatwick situation but this seems to be more along the lines of publicity to the public so show they are doing something about it but meanwhile sod all the legitimate safe pilots who are being treated like criminals for wanting to use technology as part of a hobby!

The Gatwick situation is still not clear cut Ive not seen any publicly available evidence of the reported sightings surely these people would have been logged and their reported sightings recorded. Di none of them take a mobile phone video or image of the drone in question? There always seems to be this type of record for evening meals or random selfies but nothing to help identify the drone type etc... in this case! Didnt Gatwick just pay out a large some for an Israeli Drone detection st up! (gorilla sales tactic maybe! Only joking!)

Right Rant Over and now calm!
2019-2-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2-24 09:47
I agree in principle but in reality we know this will not work! I hold a PPLH and have been on approach when a pr** with a RC airplane tried to race me! So this nonsense about drone is not just for drone its all RC aircraft (drones can at least be controlled by software) my old Esky RC heli wasnt could fly anywhere)

The new rules are an idea that I dont think will stop the idiots by they will make the work of ATC a lot hard if I wish to fly inside the zone as I will need to call them!

Great points
2019-4-16
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cheers bud Im all for safety and I think geofencing solves te odd person that doesnt really know what they are doing or where they are, relative to and ATC but for the most part the people are not dong this by accident it is with intent so introducing a law does not actually stop them but merely serves the purpose of prosecution if caught (and I mean IF caught!). so really means nothing. So if I were to be deliberate in my intentions surely I would just mask the GPS and rely on piloting skills and fly where I want anyway!

How many cars are there on the road that are not insured or taxed or fit for the road and these cause far more damage on a daily basis but nothing changes in that arena.

This is just more government spin on looking like they are actually doing something that benefits the public without fully understanding, Knee and Jerk spring to mind! How is it that the government let off   repeat driving offenders even thought there is a clear law stipulating the offence they have been caught for and then are let off because the judge thought different! What is the point of a law if the presiding judge can effectively let them off! I bet if I was speeding in a gps enabled car but chose to ignore the speed warnings Id still be charged!

Maybe they need to introduce a sky cam like speed cameras! or how about let people register drones and then prosecute anyone found flying an un-registered drone if found in flight with out being registered! regardless of age or gender or weight class etc..

trick is to catch them in the same way it is to catch speeders and uninsured pr**s

But as we are the government lets go for making lots of paperwork and possible licence fees and penalize only the people who are likely to comply! (its much easier this way and at least looks like we are tackling the situation to fool the public that the situation is being dealt with!

2019-4-17
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hoping to see a drop in the £16.50 reg fee!
2019-6-14
Use props
silk186
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7438 ft
United Kingdom

I'm happy that my new drone is 249g so it does not need to be registered in China or in the UK under the new proposed rules.
2019-11-18
Use props
silk186
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AJC-W Posted at 6-14 10:19
Hoping to see a drop in the £16.50 reg fee!

Isn't the fee £9? unless I'm not looking at the right page.

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/individual/register-and-take-test-to-fly

You both fly and are responsible for them                  flyer ID and operator ID        £9
You just fly other people's                                              flyer ID                                      £0
You’re only responsible and do not fly                         operator ID                              £9
2019-11-19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

silk186 Posted at 11-19 09:34
Isn't the fee £9? unless I'm not looking at the right page.

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/individual/register-and-take-test-to-fly

It is now (my previous reply was in June) - the original proposal was £16.50 but they lowered the price to £9 for one-year - so my 'hope' came true! Still not quite the $5 for three years that the US pay but at least they brought down the cost.
2019-11-19
Use props
silk186
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-19 12:29
It is now (my previous reply was in June) - the original proposal was £16.50 but they lowered the price to £9 for one-year - so my 'hope' came true! Still not quite the $5 for three years that the US pay but at least they brought down the cost.

An annual cost is a bit ridiculous.
2019-11-19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

silk186 Posted at 11-19 13:54
An annual cost is a bit ridiculous.

Indeed - though if you only own/fly the Mavic Mini you can ignore the whole lot as any drone weighing less than 250g isn't applicable.
2019-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

A J Posted at 11-20 10:04
Indeed - though if you only own/fly the Mavic Mini you can ignore the whole lot as any drone weighing less than 250g isn't applicable.

As long as you dont put sticker or prop guards on it and you dont fly with muddy feet
2019-11-21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-21 03:30
As long as you dont put sticker or prop guards on it and you dont fly with muddy feet

Or get any water droplets on it
2019-11-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

A J Posted at 11-25 15:17
Or get any water droplets on it

very true AJ.
2019-11-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just took the CAA test - 100% first time! As a member of FPV I don't need to register it until 31/01/20 - so all cool and sorted. Have next week off work so will be taking the Inspire out to stretch her blades
2019-11-27
Use props
fansdc09aa54
New
United Kingdom

Sensible idea and will hopefully get rid of those getting drones a bad name in th UK
2019-11-27
Use props
fansa9d895ec
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-21 03:30
As long as you dont put sticker or prop guards on it and you dont fly with muddy feet

Imagine getting stopped by an officer with a scale

2019-11-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

fansa9d895ec Posted at 11-27 16:18
Imagine getting stopped by an officer with a scale

[view_image]

I wouldnt put it past them tbh.
2019-11-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

A J Posted at 11-27 11:47
I just took the CAA test - 100% first time! As a member of FPV I don't need to register it until 31/01/20 - so all cool and sorted. Have next week off work so will be taking the Inspire out to stretch her blades

Nice one, welcome to the 100% club.
2019-11-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-27 23:38
Nice one, welcome to the 100% club.

2019-11-28
Use props