Matching Music to Video
1878 11 2017-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bbohling
lvl.2
Flight distance : 214964 ft
United States

I don't expect to publish stellar videos at this point. I have only flown my drone a few hours so am I still learning. I spend less than 15 minutes throwing together a video and finally I don't spend any time searching for the "perfect" music. That's why I am curious if any one has any tips for choosing music that enhances the video as I realize music can make/break a video. As a point of reference...I posted to videos recently. A gentlemen commented on both. He like the video and music for this one:

However, said he hated the music in this one:

Suggestions? Thanks!
2017-11-27
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

I like both of them
where do you get audio's from? I get mine from Audiojungle.com
2017-11-27
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

honestly, I find choosing songs for my videos the most difficult part. More then editing, color grading, filming, flying etc!

I have no set way, i usually just listen to pandora on a specific genre and screenshot songs when I like them or like the last one where I wanted more cinematic music I sat on youtube and skipped through tons of free songs till i found one.

one more tip is when I find a song I might want to use I will play the song while watching one of my old drone videos on mute just to get an idea of how it goes. I do this for my skiing videos too.
JUST PICK WHAT YOU LIKE - you cant please everyone and everyone has different tastes. I make my videos more for me to watch back and enjoy
2017-11-27
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Second Officer
Flight distance : 769160 ft
United States

For me the music makes or breaks the video. Therefore you want to find music to MAKE the video. I choose a track that will complement the footage in my video and will work to give people the feeling that I want them to feel when watching. Since I have a day job and can't edit my videos till I get home, it usually takes me a week to edit which includes lining up clips to the music, color correction and exporting multiple drafts to watch & revise. Check out some of my videos here that are on my YouTube. My biggest project to date took 8 months of filming. For the song I chose for it, it took me a whopping 3 months to find. It will usually take me a few days to find the song I want though. But yeah, for me it's all about the music and synchronizing that with your footage. The first video below is the project I was just speaking of and there are some others as well.

2017-11-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I like both of them.
There is not really right or wrong here.
Just use what you like.
You can't please everybody.
If it suits your emotion you are good to go!
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I think the first background music is peaceful, and the second one is sanguine. I think it might vary from the audience's mood, for me, both are good. Thank you for posting.
2017-11-27
Use props
RogueDNA
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95184 ft

New Zealand

Both sound good, although I do prefer the first one more.  It's funny, for me I tend to hear something that grabs my attention and I think that'll make a great track for a vid, then go from there and start to visualize shots for it....everyone probably has their own means to an end though...happy flying
2017-11-28
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Yeah, I agree with the the guy you first wrote about plus Rogue.  I think that a good process is to listen to your music and think about what kind of emotion it brings to you.  Use that to then match the right music to the video.  Your two postings were both of a serene, peaceful beach and shoreline.  The music on the first one matches that kind of mood.  The 2nd video had music that felt to me to be "anticipatory" - meaning "something big is coming".  So, while the music implied that mood, the visual was quiet and thoughtful.
2017-11-28
Use props
alaska42
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3668114 ft
  • >>>
United States

Finding music is a passion for me. Choosing music sets the tone for how I edit. I will not even start to edit until the music is picked. I will then put markers on the beats then edit the clips to that. Don't worry about how others feel, there will always be different opinions. Find music you like and edit to it. As long as you are happy, that is all that matters. Enjoy the process.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/c/MikeCriss
2017-11-30
Use props
Jason WAI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I like both of them
2017-11-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed pick what you like. Someone will hate it and others will love it. What matters is how is feel about your work.
2017-11-30
Use props
slamblood
lvl.1

Russia

Hey bbohling!

You are absolutely right about impact of music for your video. And this is great, that you realise this tiny psycology moment. Many video creators passing on this one, but professionals knows, that choosing and preparing music for your video is a huge time-consuming process. It`s unordinary work and you shouldn`t rely only on your taste, but also test it before posting elsewhere.

I am working with different video creators in many areas and I know what I am talking about. About this headache.  Why you think many brands like Audi, McDonalds, fashion and others putting so much money into their advertisement? They are not fools and they do understand that music is taking it`s product on whole new level.

About music in 2nd video I agreeded with your gentlemen - it`s not the best fit. It`s disturb and attracting you away from motion, it`s too noisy.

Recently, I wrote a short blog post about your issue, maybe it will help you somehow - music for your video marketing project.

2017-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules