How to hand launch/catch phantom 3 drones
3570 48 2017-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

My fingers and other parts of arms and so on are too important to do a hand launch or hand catch. ...and my two kids don´t need to learn that.
2017-11-29
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

indeed ... something wrong may succeed when you are trying catch or launch it...
2017-11-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It's a skill definitely worth learning and knowing.  That way, if you ever need it, if you ever have your Phantom about to go into the drink close by or land on a steep hill or on a bunch of big rocks where it will take a hard tumble, you can save yourself some heartbreak.
2017-11-29
Use props
jcaerialstudio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171040 ft
United States

Agree great skill at your own risk sorta thing?
2017-11-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I live in very mountainous area.  Launching is usually no trouble. but landing can be problematic, especially when there is a bit of wind.  Much safer for the drone if I hand catch.  Also, it helps to protect the lens from blowing sand and such.  That being said, I'd advise anyone who wants to do this to put the drone in a stable hover at slightly above head height and walk up to it.  Grasp a leg as close to the body as possible with one hand and hold the drone steady while you use the other hand to lower the throttle until motors stop.  The closer you handhold is to the body, the less strain on the point where the leg is attached to the body.  As I said earlier, it is likely that eventual cracks may develop in the body because of this, but for me it is a better option than landing on uneven rock surface in the wind.  And if I avoided those times and places, I would never fly at all.
2017-11-29
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

That's the point ... its good to know how to do it in case of unsuitable landing point.

Nigel
2017-11-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-11-29 12:42
I live in very mountainous area.  Launching is usually no trouble. but landing can be problematic, especially when there is a bit of wind.  Much safer for the drone if I hand catch.  Also, it helps to protect the lens from blowing sand and such.  That being said, I'd advise anyone who wants to do this to put the drone in a stable hover at slightly above head height and walk up to it.  Grasp a leg as close to the body as possible with one hand and hold the drone steady while you use the other hand to lower the throttle until motors stop.  The closer you handhold is to the body, the less strain on the point where the leg is attached to the body.  As I said earlier, it is likely that eventual cracks may develop in the body because of this, but for me it is a better option than landing on uneven rock surface in the wind.  And if I avoided those times and places, I would never fly at all.

it is likely that eventual cracks may develop in the body because of this
I'm not sure where this idea came from.  There's certainly no evidence to support the theory and of all the supposed causes this sounds like the most implausible.
Hand catching doesn't put any strain on the Phantom or it's landing gear.
Of the six Phantoms I've owned since the P3 series came out, I've only ever landed when teaching new flyers how to land.
Every other flight (lots of flights) have been hand caught bit no cracks have appeared.
2017-11-29
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Like many aspects of life and our 'toys' - there are opinions and views that not everyone agrees with.

I have hand caught my P3 on various occasions and to be honest - I think most realise this - I am no fan of the act. I also do not like the feeling that the 'leg' flexes when I do it. Even catching high up next to the body - I feel that leg flex.

Sorry not for me unless necessary.

Nigel
2017-11-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-29 22:02
it is likely that eventual cracks may develop in the body because of this
I'm not sure where this idea came from.  There's certainly no evidence to support the theory and of all the supposed causes this sounds like the most implausible.
Hand catching doesn't put any strain on the Phantom or it's landing gear.

As solentlife pointed out, you can feel the flex in the leg when you hand catch.  And the lower down the leg you catch it, the more it flexes.  As the Phantom was not designed to be caught this way, it would be no surprise if cracks do develop eventually.  I never implied that it was something that was going to happen right away.   Obviously though, when you hand catch, the weight of the aircraft is now affecting the junction with that leg and the body of the aircraft in a way that puts extra stress at that point.   Because it has not cracked yet is not an indication that it is unlikely to ever crack.  I have 3.  I always hand catch.  I have no cracks yet.  I expect to one day.  It is that simple.
2017-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules