CrystalSky device froze up mid-flight again (not just GO app)
9465 65 2017-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

castormalin Posted at 2017-12-26 04:34
Hi !
Thanks for the answer . That's quite funny, a monitor that has HDMI output capability, but not HDMI input lol

There are rumors on some forums that DJI may release a cable dongle that attaches to the Crystalsky and provides multiple new connectors including HDMI input.  Perhaps a DJI rep on THIS forum could confirm or deny that rumor and, if true, provide an estimated availability date?
2017-12-26
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

To continue with my FPS issues, I made today (thanks to vacation ) some cross tests with my 3 devices. Here are the results:

- with DJI Go, the X5 and the Inspire 1V2 Pro
  . Iphone 7+ :  good (15 to 20 FPS), no freeze
  . Crystalsky : bad (2 to 3 FPS), no freeze. No crash

- with DJIGo, the X5 and the osmo (Pro), thru wifi (worst case)  
  . Iphone 7+ : good (15 to 20 FPS), no freeze
  . Crystalsky : bad (2 to 3 FPS), intermittent freeze. Unusable, for the purpose

- with DJIGo4 and the Mavic
  . Iphone 7+ : perfect , no freeze
  . Crystalsky : good (15 a 20FPS), no freeze

So...
Good news, my X5 is working fine with my Iphone -> The aircraft is OK
And it seems that the 2nd CS is working as expected with DJI Go 4 and the Mavic.... but not with the Inspire 1.
All FW are up to date (on Dec 26th 8h50 PM, Paris time... ^^)
What is your advice, DJI ? Downgrade the Inspire ?  It was working like a charm 2 years ago with an Ipad mini2...
2017-12-26
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-12-26 10:07
There are rumors on some forums that DJI may release a cable dongle that attaches to the Crystalsky and provides multiple new connectors including HDMI input.  Perhaps a DJI rep on THIS forum could confirm or deny that rumor and, if true, provide an estimated availability date?

Thanks ! Interesting info...
In my case, I'm more and more thinking that if I could come back 2 years ago, it would work fine..
I'm not the only one:
2017-12-26
Use props
fansaaf77ff2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 483074 ft
United States

Mindy
  I was having a similar problem with my Phantom 3 Advance with intermittent screen freezing on my 7.5 CrystalSky high brightness.  I tried using a 5 pin mini USB to USB cable that has one of those round filters built into the cable.  I was only able to fly it for about 1/2 hour on two batteries as it is rather cold here in the northeast.  No problems with the separated cable.  I  will let you know more if it gets above freezing to fly it.  The drone works fine in the weather, but my hands get too cold
2018-2-1
Use props
STKNRUD
lvl.2
United States

Been watching this thread as I had similar problems with the Cendence/CSU combo.  There haven’t been any posts for a month+.  Has anyone found a solution or response from Mindy?  Or is the soluttion to simply use an iOS device?
2018-2-3
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

STKNRUD Posted at 2018-2-3 17:14
Been watching this thread as I had similar problems with the Cendence/CSU combo.  There haven’t been any posts for a month+.  Has anyone found a solution or response from Mindy?  Or is the soluttion to simply use an iOS device?

I was told the last CS firmware update was supposed to fix my issue but, for me it did not, and since then I have not been flying as much. The few times I have flown I've used my iPhone 7+ especially given it allows me to use pano mode, which is still not available on DJI's own CrystalSky for some reason.
2018-2-3
Use props
fansaaf77ff2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 483074 ft
United States

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2018-2-3 21:29
I was told the last CS firmware update was supposed to fix my issue but, for me it did not, and since then I have not been flying as much. The few times I have flown I've used my iPhone 7+ especially given it allows me to use pano mode, which is still not available on DJI's own CrystalSky for some reason.

Hugh
  Did you see my post below.  Try a separate cable, it seemed to make a difference

I was having a similar problem with my Phantom 3 Advance with intermittent screen freezing on my 7.5 CrystalSky high brightness.  I tried using a 5 pin mini USB to USB cable that has one of those round filters built into the cable.  I was only able to fly it for about 1/2 hour on two batteries as it is rather cold here in the northeast.  No problems with the separated cable.  I  will let you know more if it gets above freezing to fly it.  The drone works fine in the weather, but my hands get too cold
2018-2-4
Use props
djiuser_LP0Yj8B42Avg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 219003 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

fansaaf77ff2 Posted at 2018-2-4 04:22
Hugh
  Did you see my post below.  Try a separate cable, it seemed to make a difference

I am also having constant device level hangs/crashes with my CS.  The commonality is the USB C device.  If i use USB C either with the DJI mavic mount or 3 separate USB C cables I get a hard crash within 5 minutes.  If i use a micro-USB cable i dont get any crashes.
2018-2-4
Use props
roger39
lvl.3
France

Good morning
I got a frozen screen too.

My procedure is simple: before flying, I close dji go then I open dji go. And I start again if necessary. Never had a 'frozen' CS or GO app since.
2018-2-9
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4

In my particular case, I downgraded the Inspire 1 Pro and the X5 to a 2- year old Firmware, after that the video link with the CS became still slow, but usable.
I installed also Litchi on the CS, seems better but not tested in flight.
Unfortunately, I don't expect help from DJI here anymore. The Inspire 1 is obsolete, and (imho) they're going to redo the CS to make it work
2018-2-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2017-11-30 21:27
it happened again. I did a full factory rest on the CrystalSky. Tonight I updated my Mavic to the new firmware released last week and had just powered everything up to check all my settings to put them back how I like them. Then it froze up.

https://youtu.be/pFJ7KRitWww

Saw similar problem with my new CrystalSky Ultra.  All I was doing at time was checking settings of my Mavic Pro using GO4 app.

CrystalSky had previously HUNG on my first test flight using CrystalSky with Mavic Pro.  
Thank goodness RTH did work!

During test flight temperature outside was about 70 degrees, inside it was about 72 degrees.  
What ever is wrong, it is not a case of over heating.  
2018-3-10
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-10 19:06
Saw similar problem with my new CrystalSky Ultra.  All I was doing at time was checking settings of my Mavic Pro using GO4 app.

CrystalSky had previously HUNG on my first test flight using CrystalSky with Mavic Pro.  

What sort of mount and cable are you using for the CS , I've used the DJI Mavic CS mount which is a usb to usb-c connection for 6 mths without a single disconnect or glitch ?
2018-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-3-10 21:04
What sort of mount and cable are you using for the CS , I've used the DJI Mavic CS mount which is a usb to usb-c connection for 6 mths without a single disconnect or glitch ?

USB-C to USB-A

On bottom edge of CrystalSky between (two screw mounts) using a USB-C going to bottom edge of Remote Control between two arms using USB-A (standard 2.0).
2018-3-11
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-11 15:56
USB-C to USB-A

On bottom edge of CrystalSky between (two screw mounts) using a USB-C going to bottom edge of Remote Control between two arms using USB-A (standard 2.0).

i'd be doing a full factory CS reset
2018-3-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-3-12 03:19
i'd be doing a full factory CS reset

I will give CrystalSky factory reset a try.  At same time I would like to ensure GO4 App is not corrupt.

Do you know of anyway to uninstall builtin DJI GO4 app, then reinstall the app?

From my testing, the CrystalSky only Hangs when DJI GO4 app is running, CrystalSky is connected to DJI Remote Control, and Remote Control is connected to Mavic Pro.

I am believe it takes some sort of activity with GO4 app, while Mavic Pro is ready to fly.  
2018-3-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I have emailed DJI support the tombstones.zip file I copied off.

I tried to unzip tombstones.zip file, but it is password protected (for some reason).
Does anyone know what password is?

Knowing for sure that Hangs are being logged, tombstones are of same type would help greatly in duplicating problem.
If I can exactly duplicate the Hangs, it might help isolate what causes the Hangs.  

Sure wish I had access to source code, and crash tools, I used to have for entire computer system.  Made trouble shooting a whole lot easier.
2018-3-12
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-12 08:26
I will give CrystalSky factory reset a try.  At same time I would like to ensure GO4 App is not corrupt.

Do you know of anyway to uninstall builtin DJI GO4 app, then reinstall the app?

If you do a full reset the DJI Go4 app is also refreshed
2018-3-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-3-13 03:25
If you do a full reset the DJI Go4 app is also refreshed

I did a Factory Reset under Settings: back/restore (?).  Actually did it twice.
The CrystalSky did reset, but I couldn't tell GO4 app got erased and reloaded.  

May not matter if GO4 app was refreshed.  It is looking more and more like CrystalSky itself has a hardware problem.
I had never before used built-in Browser.  While I was looking for a GooglePlay Android Diagnostic Tool; the CrystalSky Hung.
This time, CrystalSky did respond to a single push of Power button.  After that CrystalSky started responding to touch input and other button pushes.
The two wierd parts were:
1) CrystalSky browser appeared to display a previous webpage, instead of webpage it was displaying when it hung.
2) Power button push did not bring up the Power Off or Reboot window pane.

One thing that would really be of help with all Android / iOS devices is if they came with built-in diagnostic tools.  Diagnostics that checked functional correctness of CPUs, memory addressing, memory, etc.
2018-3-13
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-13 09:45
I did a Factory Reset under Settings: back/restore (?).  Actually did it twice.
The CrystalSky did reset, but I couldn't tell GO4 app got erased and reloaded.  

When DJI Go 4 is running this is all the files that are loaded, have you side loaded any other apps into the CS ?

2018-3-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-3-13 14:31
When DJI Go 4 is running this is all the files that are loaded, have you side loaded any other apps into the CS ?

[view_image]

No.  
I kept CrystalSky clean.
I only looked into loading diagnostic tool App after I ran into trouble.  
Unfortunately, GooglePlay insists on registering device, which was not possible.
2018-3-13
Use props
Christer Molander
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85922 ft
Sweden

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-13 18:11
No.  
I kept CrystalSky clean.
I only looked into loading diagnostic tool App after I ran into trouble.  

HedgeTrimmer, have you had any luck with stability on the CS?
2018-3-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Christer Molander Posted at 2018-3-21 02:51
HedgeTrimmer, have you had any luck with stability on the CS?

My CS Ultra-brite is in transient to DJI Service & Repair.
Supposed to arrive sometime to day.
2018-3-21
Use props
Christer Molander
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85922 ft
Sweden

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-21 08:04
My CS Ultra-brite is in transient to DJI Service & Repair.
Supposed to arrive sometime to day.

I also have a CS UB with pretty much the same problems. Keep us updated if the new one works better
2018-3-21
Use props
Rotor360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18656654 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm getting constant crashes of the go app on my CS 5.5 inch while flyinmg with an Inspire2.I'd guess the DJI Go 4 app crashes 2-4 times per flight on average.

I found that I could get the log file (tombstones.zip) by plugging the grey CS usb cable direct to my Mac and accessing "USB storage".
The Zip file requires a password and says Please enter the password for "last_install". So I cant access THAT crash log.

I also have access to the logs from the whole device which is burried in one of the directories. From peeking at the logs, it looks like a mess of files and libraries producing errors and just not functioning or loading. I'd imagine DJI would be embarrassed at the state of this software if I shared the logs.

Anyway, whats the favoured approach to fixing this before I send it back?

2018-4-2
Use props
fans9cf81cde
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74472 ft
United States

Same troubles here with Inspire 1. Phantom Pro seems OK. Inspire 1 video feed is too choppy to do any good with CS. Very disappointed.
2018-8-30
Use props
Dronealta
New
Flight distance : 235016 ft
Philippines

fansce2e2e58 Posted at 2017-12-4 16:38
Hi.
Recently I bought 7.85 CS.
I received the latest firmware update immediately.

So far, I have found a big improvement using the micro USB connector rather than the type C port.   
Hurray.   An expensive gadget and very disappointing.   Am hoping it will be OK from now using the micro USB.
2020-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules