Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Android 8 Oreo cannot connect to Mavic Pro RC
5588 28 2017-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5290f1af
lvl.2
Flight distance : 525135 ft
United Kingdom

Since I updated my phone to Android 8 Oreo I cannot connect to my Mavic Pro anymore. When I connect the RC to the phone DJI Go 4 starts like it should and the start screen shows "RC Connected" however the button does not read "GO FLY" but instead just "ENTER DEVICE" (see screenshot 1). When I enter the device I don't see a video feed and it says "Aircraft Disconnected" in the top left corner (see screenshot 2).

This behavior is the same for DJI Go 4 versions 4.1.15 to 4.1.18 and for the Mavic and RC both on firmware versions 1.04.00000 and 1.04.0100. I also tried Litchi 4.1.2 and played around with the connection modi of my phone (enabled USB debugging, changed the connection type from charging to media device to MIDI) to no avail. I can fly the drone and see the video feed when I connect via WIFI. My second phone running the same version of DJI Go 4 on Android 7.1 has no problems connecting via the RC.

I have found a thread where people describe this problem with a Pixel 2 running Android Oreo but the suggestion to connect RC and Mavic, disable data connection on the phone and reboot the phone before connecting it to the RC did not help.

Has anybody experienced similar problems and found a solution?

Screenshot1

Screenshot1

Screenshot2

Screenshot2
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Since the app is saying Aircraft disconnected, please check could you control the gimbal by the RC? If the gimbal doesn't move, please try to relink the drone and RC.
2017-11-27
Use props
fans5290f1af
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I can move the gimbal and read out all the aircraft data on the RC's display.
2017-11-28
Use props
Denominerika
New
Austria

Any news? Same problem with Android 8.0.0. Clearing cache, relinking RC and trying different cables didn't work. RC works without phone - I can fly and take photos.
2017-12-4
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Given that 8.0 is a significant architecture change to Android, I personally would never have expected it to work,,, A bonus if it does
2017-12-4
Use props
fans5290f1af
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wirezfree Posted at 2017-12-4 16:20
Given that 8.0 is a significant architecture change to Android, I personally would never have expected it to work,,, A bonus if it does

That may be so but given that Oreo has been out for several month now I would have expected DJI to get their app ready. Not really acceptable for a product this expensive.
2017-12-10
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Wirezfree Posted at 2017-12-4 16:20

I don't buy that. I've been using 8.0.0 and now using 8.1.0 without problems on my Pixel XL.
I always factory reset my devices when installing a major Android OS change. Maybe that is how i get away with it.......
2017-12-10
Use props
fans5290f1af
lvl.2
United Kingdom

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-10 15:47
I don't buy that. I've been using 8.0.0 and now using 8.1.0 without problems on my Pixel XL.
I always factory reset my devices when installing a major Android OS change. Maybe that is how i get away with it.......

I went one step further, completely wiped my phone and installed Android from scratch.
2017-12-10
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Quote: "I would have expected DJI to get their app ready".

For what..??

28,000 different Android variants

This was back in 2015, it is probably much higher now
2017-12-10
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

You need to say which phone.  Go 4 works fine on Oreo 8.0 and 8.1

The main problem is people buy Samsung and other devices that drastically alter the android kernel and make it break.
2017-12-10
Use props
fans5290f1af
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Xiaomi Mi6 in my case.
2017-12-11
Use props
Grafics
New
Flight distance : 59236 ft
France

Hi,

I've got the same problem with an OnePlus phone.
Anyone find a solution ?
2018-3-3
Use props
fans5290f1af
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Some Oreo custom roms seem to have the issue while others don't.  In my case lineage os and atomic os had the issue while pixel experience is fine but this will be different from phone model to phone model. Really frustrating because it makes some otherwise awesome roms unusable but that's what it is right now.
2018-3-3
Use props
Grafics
New
Flight distance : 59236 ft
France

GO4 works fine with my mavic pro in wifi mode.  
But always disconnect with the usb. Before Oreo, it worked wery good without eror or bug.
2018-3-4
Use props
Poops
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53553 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, my first post and a shame that I've now found issues.  This thread is the exact issue that I'm experiencing.
I'm having the same problem on my Sony Xperia X.  Recently updated to Oreo 8.0 and flew it yesterday to catch some shots of the snow covered landscape.
At first it would not get past the "checking version info" screen.  I reset my phone and it seemed to work so thought nothing more of it.
So last night I decided to check for firmware updates using DJI assistant - none.
I reconnected my phone to the controller which was linked to my Mavic via USB.  The app seemed to think that I had a Phantom 4 pro and wouldn't recognise anything else.
Disconnecting the USB completely from my phone would then bring up the app to suggest that it was now trying to connect to my non-existent P4 Pro.

I read a few forums and found that suggestions ranged from wiping cache/data, re-installing the app, changing USB connection from side to bottom connection on the RC, changing cables, changing usb connection type from "charge only" to "midi" to anything else.  None of these worked to give a permanent fix.

The issue is very intermittent.  I re-installed the app from scratch and wiped the DJI folder from my phone.  Re-installed and it worked first time.
A few more resets of the controller/RC/App to prove the fix and back to square one - not working again.

I changed the USB connection from the side port to bottom USB and it worked.....once......  Moved it back to side connection/bottom connection and back to not working again.

Wiped the directrory/uninstalled the app/re-installed/reset my phone/reset USB debug/everything else.  Currently have the app recognising that I have a Mavic Pro.  Takes a while to get past the "Checking version info" and then instead of "go fly" prompt I instead get "enter device" which then brings up the screen but "aircraft disconnected".

Any fix to this would be appreciated.  Obviously there is a major issue with the app compatability with Oreo.

Thanks for any help or further suggestions.
2018-3-4
Use props
Poops
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53553 ft
United Kingdom

It turns out that the issue with my DJI Mavic Pro and my issues is my fault for having a phone which has been deemed "not supported".
This despite the fact that it worked perfectly prior to upgrade to Oreo 8.0.0

The advice given by DJI support was to downgrade my phone the previous OS.  Not at all happy!

However, I did manage to get it downgraded to Nougat and now it works flawlessly.
"Thank you for writing us back,
We just got a confirmation from our field application engineers that the mobile device is not compatible with the application. Have you tried to downgrade the system of your mobile device?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Best Regards,
Amadeo
DJI Customer Support"

Far from a satisfactory response from a company with their reputation.  
Bottom line - Don't upgrade to Oreo if your drone/app are currently working.
2018-3-15
Use props
fans5290f1af
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Poops Posted at 2018-3-15 07:49
It turns out that the issue with my DJI Mavic Pro and my issues is my fault for having a phone which has been deemed "not supported".

If you feel adventurous try one of these Oreo custom roms for your phone. Chances are that one of them will give you Oreo + DJI GO 4.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-x/development

2018-3-15
Use props
seppo54
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161089 ft
Sweden

I found a solution to this issue. I had the same issue with my new phone (Xiaomi mi a1, Android OREO). So when I tried to power up my drone, the app just said that RC connected, but no video feed to the phone. App also said that enter device, but not GO FLY. I could us gimbal, take off etc, but there was no connection to the phone. I tried almost everything and was really frustrated with this issue. I also tried my drone with my girlfriend's phone, and it worked perfectly, so then I knew it was not a hardware issua with my drone. I'll try to explain the steps I did, which were actually very simple.
1. Delete the app
2. Reinstall the app, but when it asks permission to use external USB-device (or something like that), don't give the permission.
3. Power up the drone and the controller and in the app enter the device. There should be grayed text disconnected or something like that (the app does not have permission to use the controller as device).
4. Close the app and open it up again
5. It should ask the permission for USB-device again. Then tick the box and allow it.
6. Voila, the drone works again and it gives the live feed.

I think this is a software bug in the app and has something to do with USB-connection between controller and phone. I think this way I somehow reseted it how it works. But try this and hopefully it helps.
2018-7-1
Use props
seppo54
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161089 ft
Sweden

seppo54 Posted at 2018-7-1 02:59
I found a solution to this issue. I had the same issue with my new phone (Xiaomi mi a1, Android OREO). So when I tried to power up my drone, the app just said that RC connected, but no video feed to the phone. App also said that enter device, but not GO FLY. I could us gimbal, take off etc, but there was no connection to the phone. I tried almost everything and was really frustrated with this issue. I also tried my drone with my girlfriend's phone, and it worked perfectly, so then I knew it was not a hardware issua with my drone. I'll try to explain the steps I did, which were actually very simple.
1. Delete the app
2. Reinstall the app, but when it asks permission to use external USB-device (or something like that), don't give the permission.

Little reminder to step 2: when you don't give the permission to use USB-device, do not tick the box, so that it will ask it again when you restart the app.
2018-7-1
Use props
BPlanet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136529 ft

I have a LG G6 which was recently updated to Oreo (no connection to RC/phone after the update). I tried the above solution twice and it didn't work unfortunately. I did not see the "permission to use external USB-device" prompt either time.  
2018-7-8
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

BPlanet Posted at 2018-7-8 17:25
I have a LG G6 which was recently updated to Oreo (no connection to RC/phone after the update). I tried the above solution twice and it didn't work unfortunately. I did not see the "permission to use external USB-device" prompt either time.

Have you changed debugging mode and USB settings.
Enable debugging mode.
2018-7-8
Use props
BPlanet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136529 ft
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-7-8 17:44
Have you changed debugging mode and USB settings.
Enable debugging mode.

Yes. I should have mentioned that. And I also should have mentioned that everything worked perfectly prior to the Oreo update.
2018-7-9
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

People need to say *which* device rather than OS version.  The ONLY "android" device are the google pixel series.  Every other manufacturer alters the OS, some a small amount and some by a massive amount "samsung".
The more they alter it, the more chance of problems.
So "Oreo" isn't a constant - its hugely different between devices.

(FWIW working perfectly on Oreo 8.1 here on my Pixel 2 XL).
2018-7-9
Use props
BigTomCallahan
New
United States

I am new to flying and had the same issue yesterday.  Drone was stationary above me--I walked 10 feet forward without moving the drone, just as that happened the app crashed.  The display showed a pixelated screen with a line coming across at about a 60 degree angle with one side lighter and one side very dark.  Before the app crashed, the drone was above me on a road, but this image once the app crashed made me think that maybe the drone crashed as well, landing in the surrounding marsh at an angle similar to the screen.

Thankfully, after finding the drone in the air, I pressed RTH on the controller (battery was on 30%) and went home.  Needless to say, this created a scare for me and now I am timid in flying off of this phone again.  My main phone is a Pixel 2 XL--this phone would not connect to the drone via USB-C to micro USB nor USB-C to USB.  Because of this, I checked the guaranteed to work device list and pulled out my old Galaxy 7 Edge.  I had no issues with this app aside from 1 grainy screen for about 2 seconds prior to this near scare.  

Does anyone have any suggestions aside from going to an apple product for flying only?  I am of the same viewpoint of many on here, which is that it is unacceptable for DJI to continually allow this to happen on Android but minimal occurrences on Apple.  Especially when I switched to a device on their list.  
2018-7-9
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

A device on their list would have been tested with a specific version of the OS, yours may have updated so isnt on "the list" any more
If the app does crash it shouldn't be much drama - the RC still responds so you can manually fly it home.
2018-7-9
Use props
Sky views
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6178 ft

How did you downgrade to 7.0?
2018-7-15
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

My Note 8 works fine, but it is a very powerful phone. My S3 Tab not on Oreo has not worked well since 4.2.16. Newer S3 Tabs are also very powerful devices, plenty of cpu and ram. It worked perfectly up until the Mavic Air was added to Go4.

many others in our drone club on Android devices, both Oreo and Nougat, and some on Marshmallow, all of which have experienced the problems above.
It's not the devices because most of these flyers also have Litchi which is fine.

Look at the list of last supported devices. Those devices were probably never tested with newer fimrware or the newer apps. Most devices tested on that list for Android are outdated, out of program and no longer sold. Many many newer common retail devices much more powerful that what are on the list.

I also have a mini4 iOS device which is 2G ram and an A8 cpu which is right on the edge of working and not working with Go4. I get small choppy blocks of grayed video from time to time with that. It was perfect for months. Was the latest iOS update the app killer for that?

The company needs to do a better job of at least updating the LIST to more common recent devices. They don't even list the iPad Pro. A company as big as DJI needs to get this right.

Any competing company that supports their Android community better will win over that customer. These phones and tablet costs can be quite a bite out of the wallet. The App here is the issue.. It is too big and too much of a resource hog that even iOS devices are on the brink of failures. Soon you will have to have an iPad Pro or CS only to run the app. It's getting crazy!!

Again, this is not a Samsung only issue. People have installed different Android OS's on their rooted free of vendor crap tablets and phones, and yet the app still fails.

For the past several months it was glitchy video feed, then useless transmission of video, and now even worse... it simply disconnects mid flight which is dangerous, and very problematic for new flyers that are having their eyes on the App instead of the drone. It's also a problem fo Mavic Air users. This problem is very broad, not isolated to Samsung, or Pixel, or Nexus, etc. It has plagued many mfg's and many versions.

Telling people to buy an iOS product is NOT right. IF DJIis to support only iOS, they need to indicate that, and not mislead users into thinking their device will work.

Someone with a NOTE8, or S9 is going to think... ok they list a NOTE 4 and S7 and the newer phones are twice the power..... then they buy the DJI product, and their device is not supported... but the older ones from 2 to 3 years ago are?
2018-7-15
Use props
OnTheTrent
New
Flight distance : 133986 ft
Canada

I have an LG G5 that worked perfectly with DJI GO 4. But after the update to Android 8.0, nada. And I just got off of tech support with LG and I can't go back to an earlier Android. (Hmm...would a factory reset work?)  What a royal pita.
2019-1-8
Use props
Master.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Did you try to use a different cable?
2019-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules