Right toggle Pull back should = up
1642 15 2017-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DOWSETT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 392234 ft
United States

Am I missing something? I am in custom; I cannot get the binds to do as I need.
I would like the right toggle when pulled back _towards the torso_ to tell the Drone Up.
This is how it is; in manned arial equipment, so I believe.
2017-11-28
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

What do you mean binds ?
2017-11-28
Use props
DOWSETT
lvl.1
United States

Bind's; as in the controllers joystick arrangement.

I looked over my original post; I was a little buzzed. But yea I was wondering if I am missing something?
I cannot seem to bind the right joystick > down to = ascend, keeping us on-track with actual flight controls
2017-11-28
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

you'll have to set that up under "custom" in the controller settings.  keep in mind that you must be connected to the controller in order to save the settings.  since you want the "pull back" to input a climb (as it would in a fixed wing aircraft flying mode 1), you'll have to tap "change settings" and then pull the "aircraft up" arrow to the bottom box on the right stick, or the "aircraft down" to the top box.  this sets the controller up with that input reversed from the normal mode 1 setup.  

I understand that when you switch from flying planes that you learned that to climb you pull back and to descend you push forward, but you have to think of this more like a fixed pitch heli than a plane.  
2017-11-28
Use props
Spaners
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1542 ft
United Kingdom

You need to learn to fly it as a heli
I would recommend mode 2 (most common and what we use here in uk, well most of us)
I suggest you learn on a sim first or a cheapo indoor quad.
2017-11-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

DOWSETT Posted at 2017-11-28 12:07
Bind's; as in the controllers joystick arrangement.

I looked over my original post; I was a little buzzed. But yea I was wondering if I am missing something?

DOWSETT, please provide more information for better assistant. Can you give us a screenshot of your RC setting when you connected the RC with your drone? Thanks for your support.
2017-11-29
Use props
DOWSETT
lvl.1
United States

TexasAerials Posted at 2017-11-28 14:05
you'll have to set that up under "custom" in the controller settings.  keep in mind that you must be connected to the controller in order to save the settings.  since you want the "pull back" to input a climb (as it would in a fixed wing aircraft flying mode 1), you'll have to tap "change settings" and then pull the "aircraft up" arrow to the bottom box on the right stick, or the "aircraft down" to the top box.  this sets the controller up with that input reversed from the normal mode 1 setup.  

I understand that when you switch from flying planes that you learned that to climb you pull back and to descend you push forward, but you have to think of this more like a fixed pitch heli than a plane.

Yes I am in custom; and I have been able to bind; the ascend descend to the forward / back right joystick.
I just have not been able to dictate; any further, on what the drone does when pressing forward, back.

The way its set up when pushing the joystick forward; it tells the drone to climb.
But forward joystick should be descend pulling the joy stick back or towards the pilot should be ascend.
It seems to locked as if were 'video game' controls.
2017-11-29
Use props
DOWSETT
lvl.1
United States

Spaners Posted at 2017-11-28 14:18
You need to learn to fly it as a heli
I would recommend mode 2 (most common and what we use here in uk, well most of us)
I suggest you learn on a sim first or a cheapo indoor quad.

If I am not mistaken the collective lever which dictates ascend / descend.
Is up / down.
Pulling the Collective lever up; is the same motion as pulling the joystick back,
cause the helicopter to ascend or take off.
Pushing the Collective lever down; the same motion as pushing the joystick forward
would cause the helicopter to descend or land.

As of right now I can only custom to : forward = up. backward = down..
In general aviation that is reversed.
2017-11-29
Use props
DOWSETT
lvl.1
United States

Okay I feel silly: I needed to drag "Throttle Up" to the precise box.
Not just drag both Throttle up and Throttle down to the preferred stick; or it will default, to the very problem I was inquiring about.
I'll try to make my next thread; a little more contributing.
2017-11-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

DOWSETT Posted at 2017-11-29 13:40
Okay I feel silly: I needed to drag "Throttle Up" to the precise box.
Not just drag both Throttle up and Throttle down to the preferred stick; or it will default, to the very problem I was inquiring about.
I'll try to make my next thread; a little more contributing.

Never mind, but you should test now if "forced landing" still works as it is supposed to. Otherwise you might encounter unpleasant situations. Just a thought...
2017-11-29
Use props
Zbig
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349 ft
Poland

DOWSETT Posted at 2017-11-29 13:11
If I am not mistaken the collective lever which dictates ascend / descend.
Is up / down.
Pulling the Collective lever up; is the same motion as pulling the joystick back,

Not trying to argue what is more "natural" or a better analog to a real helicopter controls, but the DJI's defaults (Mode 2) are definitely not just their whim, much less copied from a video game controls. It's a several decades long legacy. Mode 2 ("rudder/collective" on the left stick, "cyclic" on the right) and Mode 1 (front/aft "cyclic" on left stick's vertical axis, rudder on left stick's horizontal axis; "collective" on the right stick vertical axis, left/right "cyclic" on right stick's horizontal axis) were prevalent since the beginning of the RC helicopter hobby. Both in Mode 2 and Mode 1, the pitch/power is ALWAYS increasing as you push the stick away from you. There's a saying that it's arguably harder to mentally switch modes than to learn flying a heli in the first place so, as you can see, DJI had a valid reason not to mess with that. Otherwise they'd found a pitchfork mob with smashed drones in their hands, of the guys who have ever flown any kind of a rotorcraft model in their lifes before, by their doors on day one. You'll do yourself a favor as well if you just get over what you consider an inconsistency and learn to fly plain Mode 2.*)

*) Just noticed you already have a significant stick time under your belt. All the less reason to enforce the opposite muscle memory upon yourself now.
2017-11-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Zbig Posted at 2017-11-29 14:49
Not trying to argue what is more "natural" or a better analog to a real helicopter controls, but the DJI's defaults (Mode 2) are definitely not just their whim, much less copied from a video game controls. It's a several decades long legacy. Mode 2 ("rudder/collective" on the left stick, "cyclic" on the right) and Mode 1 (front/aft "cyclic" on left stick's vertical axis, rudder on left stick's horizontal axis; "collective" on the right stick vertical axis, left/right "cyclic" on right stick's horizontal axis) were prevalent since the beginning of the RC helicopter hobby. Both in Mode 2 and Mode 1, the pitch/power is ALWAYS increasing as you push the stick away from you. There's a saying that it's arguably harder to mentally switch modes than to learn flying a heli in the first place so, as you can see, DJI had a valid reason not to mess with that. Otherwise they'd found a pitchfork mob with smashed drones in their hands, of the guys who have ever flown any kind of a rotorcraft model in their lifes before, by their doors on day one. You'll do yourself a favor as well if you just get over what you consider an inconsistency and learn to fly plain Mode 2.*)

*) Just noticed you already have a significant stick time under your belt. All the less reason to enforce the opposite muscle memory upon yourself now.

I fully share this good explanation and did not find it difficult to get used to Mode 2. For me it feels natural in fact.
2017-11-29
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Zbig Posted at 2017-11-29 14:49

This.

My Trex 450 had the throttle pushed up (away) to get more collective and throttle.  The drone kinda follows that.  Pulling down (towards me) could get my helicopter to go up,...when it was in idle up mode and inverted.

Maybe the OP is thinking real helicopters have a control that pulls towards them to input collective.  But even that stick is going up to get the heli to go up.

People trying to fly their model helicopter inverted who forgot to go to idle up mode were hilarious.  Everyone laughing as tears came to their eyes.  Actually, the pilot would also be smiling because it is all part of model flying.
2017-11-29
Use props
DOWSETT
lvl.1
United States

You want to raise the barrel of the rifle you pull it towards you.. you want to lift the nose up on snowmobile; you pull it towards you.
Its natural to pull back for lift. like twisting a cap on a unthreaded pipe it will naturally thread itself on; turning it clockwise.
Luckily lol I've been a heavy equipment operator for a little over 20 years; switch from sae to iso is common practice, so going "inverted"  was not a problem.

It just always bugged me in shooters; pushing the controller forward to raise the rifle.
2017-12-3
Use props
Zbig
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349 ft
Poland

DOWSETT Posted at 2017-12-3 19:04
You want to raise the barrel of the rifle you pull it towards you.. you want to lift the nose up on snowmobile; you pull it towards you.
Its natural to pull back for lift. like twisting a cap on a unthreaded pipe it will naturally thread itself on; turning it clockwise.
Luckily lol I've been a heavy equipment operator for a little over 20 years; switch from sae to iso is common practice, so going "inverted"  was not a problem.

DOWSETT, it's your drone, you're free to do whatever you wish with it. Just please stop with the gun analogies... Oh, and don't let this guy to try and fly your modified setup:

He might not appreciate your argument that it's easy to mentally switch control standards on heavy equipment ;)

Oh, BTW, guess which way you move the throttle in an airplane to increase thrust (and increased thrust, and thus speed, means increased lift so you gain altitude). Cyclic is a helicopter's analog to the plane's control stick/yoke, not collective/pitch. Helicopter's collective is more or less equivalent to plane's throttle and that also increases thrust as you push away. To elaborate even further (why do I feel I'm wasting my time here?), in a forward flight at considerable speed with a helicopter, i.e. not in a hover or at speeds near hover, a whole new mechanics kick in and the heli begins to respond to cyclic input more in a way a plane responds to control stick: it does, in fact, pitch up and gain altitude as you pull the cyclic towards you. It's only that most of the drone flying is closer to hovering a heli than to flying it at cruising speeds.

Anyway, I'm done here, cheers!
2017-12-4
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Don’t think so much.
Just fly it in mode 2 as is supported on almost all toy quads.
Instead of making special controls that only you can use.
And missing the opportunity to try other peoples rc toys.
It’s difficult to re-learn later, so set it to mode 2 now. Or mode 1 if that is the dominant mode in your part of the world.
2017-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules