P4 video feed drop-out since firmware update...
1045 13 2017-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2385e1f4
New
United Kingdom

Hello All,
I know this issue has cropped up many times on the forum.  I have spent the last two days trawling through every post relating to this issue and have tried all the advice without success.  My video feed has dropped out since I upgraded to th latest firmware.  All I get now is green and black banding, severe pixelation and video lag, occasionally part picture.  Nothing at all records when I fly.  The controller LED is flashin fast green/red.

In summary, I bought my P4 a week ago.  Took it out day one and two and flew and recorded 4K footage without a problem - great quality video, really top drawer device.  I was then instructed to update to the latest firmware vesions, which I did do.  Probably did this in completely the wrong sequence being the first time, and this may be the cause of my issue?  I initially updated the RC and then had no success updating the P4 through the DJI GO 4 App, so installed Assistant 2 and updated the P4 successfully then to version V02.00.0106

I am using an Ipad Air (2015), have streamlined the device to ensure it has suficient (6 GB) capacity and background app refresh turned off, iOS software up to date and running 11.1.2.  I deleted and re-uploaded the DJI GO 4 app several times.  I have rebound the P4 to the controller using the LED button on the P4.  Deleted the video cache.  Recalibrated the IMU and the camera (Camera image perfect in the calibration screen on Assistant 2).  Reformated the mini-SD card, tried booting with and without this in the P4.  Changed the USB cable between device and RC several times.  None of the above have made any difference at all....the video image remains the same as mentioned above.

I rang the DJI helpline, very friendly helpful service, however none of the advise given has made any difference.  Basically help desk advice (in addition to what I had already done): Change the image transmission settings, which I cannot do as the auto button is fixed blue and the custom button grayed-out and not functioning. I was then told it would probably need to sent in for repair - sound familiar?  It's not a hardware issue - it must be the firmware or a software problem as the camera picture is perfect in the Assistant 2 camera recalibration interface.

The only thing I havent managed to confirm is the version of firmware on my RC.  I wanted to try to roll this back but when I load up DJI GO 4 plugged into the RC (with the P4 turned off) and access through the 3-bar (hat) button on the 'white screen', all I get is:

Product: Unknown
Current version: Unknown
Device Disconnected
Select firmware version       .....    NONE

Then a 'Download' button which is greyed-out and does work.

When I go into the same screen as above with both the RC and the P4 turned on I get:

Product: Phantom 4
Current version: Unknown
Select firmware version      .....     02.00.0106

Then a 'Firmware Refresh' button

Just to confirm, I can actually fly my drone perfectly without video feed.  It flys great. So any further advice would be appreciated.  Best Grant...

2017-11-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

According to your description, it seems that the RC has not been updated to the latest firmware successfully. Please turn off the RC, hold the C1, C2, Record button and toggle the ISO dial at the same time, then turn on the RC, and connect it with APP to update from overall status.
2017-11-28
Use props
fans2385e1f4
New
United Kingdom

Hi Susan,

Thanks....

I have done as you suggested above, and held the C1, C2, record and toggled the camera dial (iso) switch.  The controller is reconnected to the app, and it says 'RC CONNECTED' in the bottom left of the 'white screen', but there is no (blue bar) 'collecting version info' visible, and if I hold the 3-bars down for 5 seconds, I get the same message listed above.  Am I meant to be getting confimation of version installed when connecting the RC controller alone to the app?

If I turn the P4 on at the same time as the RC, then I get the (blue bar) 'collecting version info' and it confirms the version is the most recent version available....02.00.0106  

I take it this is referring to the version on the P4 aircraft and not the RC?  Is there any other way of identifying what software is on the RC?

Best
Grant
2017-11-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Is there a triangle in the overall status bar? Could you post a screenshot of About page?
BTW, please click the reply under my message so that I can get the reminder to handle this timely. Thanks for cooperation.
2017-11-29
Use props
fans2385e1f4
New
United Kingdom

When I have only the RC plugged in and turned on this is what I see:

When I have both the RC and the P4 switched on this is what I see:

This is video feed when I am not getting a blank screen:
2017-11-29
Use props
fans2385e1f4
New
United Kingdom

This is the video feed:
2017-11-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try deleting the dji go app and install a previous release, 4.1.15 o earlier, i had the same issue but on android
2017-11-29
Use props
fans2385e1f4
New
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2017-11-29 01:55
Try deleting the dji go app and install a previous release, 4.1.15 o earlier, i had the same issue but on android

Thanks for the suggestion, where can I get my hands on the earlier app?
2017-11-29
Use props
fans2385e1f4
New
United Kingdom

Thanks for the suggestion Bashy, I will have a look online and try get my hands on an earlier app.....
2017-11-29
Use props
fans2385e1f4
New
United Kingdom

Can’t find DGI GO 4.1.15 or earlier for IPad anywhere on the internet.....
2017-11-29
Use props
fans2385e1f4
New
United Kingdom

All, I have now sent my drone into a certified DJI repair shop to see if they can work out what is wrong.  Will keep you posted.....
2017-11-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans2385e1f4 Posted at 2017-11-29 05:51
All, I have now sent my drone into a certified DJI repair shop to see if they can work out what is wrong.  Will keep you posted.....

To check and update the RC try the following (I realise you have now returned unit, but may be of value to others)

With RC and display connected (aircraft off), and display has a good wifi connection to internet. Run DJI Go 4 and 'enter device'. Open the 'aircraft status' screen by tapping the screen at top edge where it says 'disconnected'. The top line 'Overall Status' should show if update required (this may take a minute or two to appear). when it does then tap on that and it should take you through the process to update RC. That may make the difference to your display.
You may need to try several times for update to appear, I'm not sure if the delay is server related or not.
2017-11-30
Use props
DNR 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1689478 ft
United States

I'm updating the firmware right this very moment. FWIW, the update screen says:
"If you are updating via the DJI GO App, make sure you update the aircraft, but only after restarting the updated remote control. Otherwise, there will be an error in the progress bar of the aircraft update."

"Make sure you restart both the aircraft and the remote controller after updating them to the latest firmware. Otherwise, video downlink may be unstable."

I am still in the process of updating. Will post how it goes.
2017-12-1
Use props
DNR 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1689478 ft
United States

Yes, can confirm. Good advice from Captain Aardvark!
After you update the aircraft, turn it off.
Then do exactly as CA says and with your remote on and connected to your mobile device, Enter Device and go into Aircraft Status. Make sure you are connected to the Internet or WiFi.
Under status, it should say Firmware Update Needed.

Then update the remote controller, it goes pretty quick, then shut it down and start up again.
Turn your bird back on, and it should all be fine.
At least following this my video link appears fine.

2017-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules