Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CAA PFAW and a question of Insurance
1875 10 2015-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

I have started the ball rolling to obtain a 'Permission For Ariel Work'  (PFAW) from the UK CAA.  I have factored in the costings for the required NQE and the CAA fees, however, when it comes to Insurance, I have absolutely no idea what kind of premiums to expect to pay for either basic third party liability or fully comprehensive insurance.  Are there any pilots here from the UK that either have, or have been given a quote for insurance that could give me some kind of ball park figure?
I appreciate that many factors come into play when obtaining a quote and any answer would only be approximate.

Many thanks in advance.

Jason

2015-4-13
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Jason, You will be looking at around £650 - £850 depending on level of cover (£2m to £5m) with some insurers quoting as much as £1400!
2015-7-9
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Also, expect a much higher excess/deductible in your first year of certification.
2015-7-9
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Jason,

Also expect delays in receiving your CAA approval for commercial operations.  You could be looking as long as 65+business days from submission.

In regard to commercial insurance/ public liability, it also depends on what other aircraft and equipment you want insured as part of your overall package to be covered, the value of your total business assets to be insured.  Excess is high like Mark states in the first year.

As this becomes more and more available and commercially viable, premiums will hopefully come down, but at the minute there are very few offering cover.  Some who have covered aerial work in the past for filming and cinematographers are no longer looking to cover UAVs.  

I personally think the costs are way too high compared to other professional premiums and at the minute some key insurers/brokers have got a little monopoly on the market, which is not good for competition and for us generally.  I hope this changes in the future with other underwriters providing cover and healthy competition to bring premiums down.

2015-7-9
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-7-10 02:26
Hi Jason, You will be looking at around £650 - £850 depending on level of cover (£2m to £5m) wit ...

regarding insurance costs, you will find it cheaper to become a member of an organisation - I'm a member of SUAS global, it only cost me £50 and my PLI was quoted at £535 for £2m...
2015-8-17
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Skygod14 Posted at 2015-8-17 21:31
regarding insurance costs, you will find it cheaper to become a member of an organisation - I'm a  ...

Ok  so thats about the normal price for £2m Public Liability.  

Doesn't seam any cheaper.  If you need £5m cover you will find it much more than that, probably £750+.  Also depends on how much you want to be insured for theft etc.

What does SUAS Global offer for £50
2015-8-17
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-17 22:47
Ok  so thats about the normal price for £2m Public Liability.  

Doesn't seam any cheaper.  If you ...

I have £4000 worth of equipment cover (fully comp) and European PLI cover  - my original quote was for £700+ through my insurers recommendation I joined SUAS global, which saved me £150+. I can also, if required upgrade to £5m PLI for £25 pcm on a 'when and if required basis'.

SUAS global doesn't 'offer' anything, it provides assurance to the insurer in much the same way extra qualifications or memberships make your car insurance cheaper.
2015-8-17
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Skygod14 Posted at 2015-8-17 22:54
I have £4000 worth of equipment cover (fully comp) and European PLI cover  - my original quote was ...

Ok that sounds very good deal.  Will have to remember that come next year when mine expires.    Who is the insurance with ?
2015-8-17
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-18 03:45
Ok that sounds very good deal.  Will have to remember that come next year when mine expires.    Wh ...

Aaduki Multimedia Insurance - I was introduced to them through my course provider.
2015-8-18
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Skygod14 Posted at 2015-8-18 19:38
Aaduki Multimedia Insurance - I was introduced to them through my course provider.

What if any are the excess values for claims if you are willing to share.  Which course did you go with, was it Euro USC or other.

I think this is something that for example EuroUSC should be offering their BNUC-S Pilots, a reduced insurance premium just like your example with SUAS Global.  This would then be an incentive to renew their BNUC-S with them each year.

2015-8-18
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-19 02:12
What if any are the excess values for claims if you are willing to share.  Which course did you go ...

My Excess' are as follows:

Kit and equipment is £250 per claim ( kit and equipment insured is valued at £4000)

PLI is £1000 per claim (standard insurance at £2m)

I did my course with RUSTA (www.uastraining.com) great setup in a variety of locations, quick with the ops manual assessment and good flight test prep.
2015-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules