Home point not set
2503 19 2014-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Imackenzie03
lvl.1

Australia

Hi,

This morning I did all the pre-flight checks, had 7 satellites but no home point was set? I waited for about 1 minute after starting the motors before flight. What could be the reason for this?
2014-10-22
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Did you take off, fly out, and switch to HL to see if it was set?
Or are you saying you just did not see any rapid green LED flashes at initialization?
2014-10-22
Use props
Imackenzie03
lvl.1

Australia

I just didn't see any rapid green LED flashes after the motors started. What is HL?
2014-10-22
Use props
houldsworth1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616598 ft
  • >>>
United States

1.  Make sure that both switches (S1 and S2) on the controller are in the top position.
2.  After you turn on watch the LED on the back of the Phantom.  It should flash green followed by a number of red flashes.  The number of red flashes will slowly decrease until, eventually, you will just have a single green flash with no red.
3.  Somewhere in that count down you will see a set of rapid green flashes.  This should happen twice.  The first time lets you know you have compass lock, the second time lets you know you have GPS lock on your home position

Note that getting to just a green flashing LED can take time.  Depending on time of day, nearby buildings/trees, etc. I sometimes have to wait several minutes for that to happen.  Be patient!!!

Hope that helps.
2014-10-22
Use props
Imackenzie03
lvl.1

Australia

Yes I had number 1 done on your list, but after compass calibration it went straight to slow green flashing lights.
2014-10-22
Use props
Imackenzie03
lvl.1

Australia

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-23 07:18
Did you take off, fly out, and switch to HL to see if it was set?
Or are you saying you just did not ...

What are you referring to when you say HL ?
2014-10-23
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...
I monitor about thirty threads on this forum and RCGroups, and I sometimes just don't see posts subsequent to mine...

HL is Home Lock
CL is Course Lock
Both are IOC flight settings
If you've not turned on NazaM mode, they are of no concern....
BUT:
If IOC is activated, HL will bring the craft back to Home Point when you pull back on the right stick and confirm that it was recorded...
2014-10-23
Use props
Imackenzie03
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks for the reply and explanation, I understand now. I'm only in Phantom mode at the moment as I have only flown a dozen times so far.
2014-10-23
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Imackenzie03@gm Posted at 2014-10-24 10:49
Thanks for the reply and explanation, I understand now. I'm only in Phantom mode at the moment as I  ...

As much as the manual says not to do it,  I much rather prefer Naza mode for training......:@

2014-10-25
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Croatia

mixstreme Posted at 2014-10-25 21:31
As much as the manual says not to do it,  I much rather prefer Naza mode for training......

Agree.

2014-10-25
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

I've heard of several reports where the Homepoint was not set automatically, only common denominator from those reports is that ithis happened after a compass calibration was done but otherwise it's ???
2014-10-25
Use props
houldsworth1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616598 ft
  • >>>
United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-10-25 22:08
I've heard of several reports where the Homepoint was not set automatically, only common denominator ...

I'm assuming that during the compass calibration the GPS is still working and the lock occurred while the light was busy showing the status of the calibration.  That would tie in with this person's note that they did a compass calibration and it went straight to a steady flashing green.
2014-10-25
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

yes somehow there are some circumstances where it doesn't lock the Homepoint with a compass calibration although those two are not really related.  I rarely do my compass calibration but double check my Homepoint every time I fly just to make sure that it comes back to me and not go to some far away land
2014-10-25
Use props
Imackenzie03
lvl.1

Australia

mixstreme Posted at 2014-10-25 21:31
As much as the manual says not to do it,  I much rather prefer Naza mode for training......

I'll have to look into that.
2014-10-29
Use props
Imackenzie03
lvl.1

Australia

swomilan Posted at 2014-10-25 22:08
I've heard of several reports where the Homepoint was not set automatically, only common denominator ...

Yes mine did not set the home point after compass calibration. Let's see what happens now I've updated.
2014-10-29
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Imackenzie03@gm Posted at 2014-10-30 11:10
Yes mine did not set the home point after compass calibration. Let's see what happens now I've upd ...

Has this latest update reduced the RTH speed?
2014-10-29
Use props
roelperalta
lvl.1

United States

Yes. It's on the release notes. See below, I did a cut and paste from the memo.

Maximum descent speed set to 0.6m/s when the aircraft’s altitude is less than 10m and descending
automatically (for example in failsafe mode). The maximum speed of descent remains 2m/s in other
flight conditions.
2014-10-29
Use props
LenCO
New

United States

I have seen the same issue.   I usually get multiple home locks when each pf  4, 5 and 6 satellites locks on.   Sometimes not for the 6th satellite.    To be safe, I do a manual homelock by rapidly moving switch 1 from OFF to HL 6 times and wait for rapid green flashing home lock confirmation.   Then when I take off, I hover at 8 to 10 feet for 20 seconds or so to make certain I have a good GPS  lock and a good compass calibration.   Much lower possibility of flyaways that way.
2014-11-6
Use props
Imackenzie03
lvl.1

Australia

Good tip thanks.
2014-11-10
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

LenCO Posted at 2014-11-7 09:33
I have seen the same issue.   I usually get multiple home locks when each pf  4, 5 and 6 satellites  ...

Very good tips!!  Thanks for posting them up!!
2014-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules