Hey DJI, I've Got 99 Waypoints, but the B#@! Ain't One....
1464 6 2017-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bosco5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5056 ft
United States

So I'm a big user when it comes to using waypoints.  If you are wanting the absolute best cinamatic photography, you do your homework with Google Earth, which allows you to confirm heights of terain, buildings, trees, etc... and then you map out your flight plan in the App of your choice (I currently use Drone Harmony).  You use lots of waypoints to smooth out your heading changes, and in the end, you've got something you can really use.

However, as many of us have discovered, there is a waypoint limitation.  Many have said that it is a limitation of a particular app, but pilots have reported, it happens no matter what application you use.  This means that it is a limitation in the Mavic's firmware, not the application software.  I can send 300 waypoints to the drone in Drone Harmony, but once the flight reaches the 99th waypoint, the Mavic just hovers (just hit RTH for a quick shot back home).

So this thread is me reaching out to DJI:

DJI, please, please please...please increase the limitation of waypoints.  Waypoint information doesn't require that much storage.  You can even use space on the SD card.  1,000-2,000 waypoints are needed for most of use to be able to fly and record a smooth 20-25 minute mission.  You've done a nice job of adding more intellegent flight modes, but some of us don't use those modes.  Some of us only fly using waypoints, but with a 99 waypoint limit, it is far from being enough.  I would also ask that you update your documentation for the Mavic Pro to reflect this limitation with waypoints.  I had to do a lot of research to figure this out, and I should have been able to easily find this in the Mavic Pro's documentation (not an Application's documentation, which makes it look like a limitation with the app).

I love my Mavic Pro.  It is a great little drone packed with a lot of technology.  Please increase the amount of waypoints so that the Mavic can produce the cinamatic footage it is capable of.
2017-11-30
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

Have you checked out Litchi or Autopilot to see if they support more waypoints ?
2017-11-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting. Learn something new everyday.
2017-11-30
Use props
Bosco5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5056 ft
United States

nottuppaware Posted at 2017-11-30 19:06
Have you checked out Litchi or Autopilot to see if they support more waypoints ?

All of the apps support more.  Drone Harmony supports hundreds more.  It doesn't matter.  The mission will stop once it reaches waypoint #99, because like I said, the Mavic's firmware doesn't support more.
2017-11-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

According to the mechanism, in one mission, at most 99 waypoints can be recorded. Distance between two waypoints and between a waypoint and Home Point cannot exceed 500 meters. Total distance cannot exceed 5000 meters.
We appreciate your feedback, and it will be transferred to the engineers.
Hope more and stronger intelligent flight modes will be supported in the future.
2017-11-30
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

Bosco5 Posted at 2017-11-30 22:00
All of the apps support more.  Drone Harmony supports hundreds more.  It doesn't matter.  The mission will stop once it reaches waypoint #99, because like I said, the Mavic's firmware doesn't support more.

If you are just using way points to smooth out headings I believe autopilot can interpolate turns in waypoints for smooth transitions. Seems like a done deal for me.
2017-12-1
Use props
Bellini
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Which flight software give's the smoothest handling of more than 99 way points?      I've heard (if I'm not mistaken) that the DJI Ground Station Pro, chunks big missions into separate ones, each with 99 way points.  What about other software such as Litchi , Precision Flight, Drone Link, and Drone Harmony ?  I am wondering plz   (before I make decisions), how well do they cope with loading another mission in flight, and smoothly carrying on with the next batch of 99 way points?   
2020-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules