Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-2 13:09
You will regret it if you don’t. No serious flying restrictions, more wild nature than Africa and not one single tree of note. They say in Iceland, if you get lost in a forrest all you need to do is stand up to see where you are. OK, the days are short at this time of the year, but that leaves more time for spotting Trolls and of course the Aurora Borealis.
[view_image]
Long exposure Kirkjufellsfoss

Thats a stunning pic
2017-12-10
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Great Post / advices !! Thanks for share
2017-12-11
Use props
tamour
New
United States

Has anyone flown their Mavic Pro in 5-10 degree (F) weather? Any issues?
2017-12-11
Use props
GARINT2FLY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55722 ft
United States

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-12-1 15:47
Great advice. Debating taking my mavic to Iceland in a few weeks....think If I don't I might regret it but its extra luggage and weight to carry...

Do it! If you don’t take the Magic you will regret it.  It’s a wonderful place to fly, but don’t fly near waterfalls as they don’t like, but there are so many places to fly and amazing landscapes to shoot.  Have fun!
2017-12-11
Use props
VigilanteDrones
First Officer
Flight distance : 11800554 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great advice, thanks!
2017-12-12
Use props
chuckbytes
lvl.1
Canada

Has anyone discussed using hot-pockets to keep external battery warm during flight in cold conditions. I'm guessing but a small hot pocket shouldn't weigh more than 16 grams
2017-12-12
Use props
chuckbytes
lvl.1
Canada

tamour Posted at 2017-12-11 14:13

I was flying Mavic in -14c the other day and did not experience any issues. I went through 2 batteries at approx 22min each. The drone performed without a flaw. Had it about 30 meters up which I'm figuring is even colder plus wind-chill.  

Of course i was sitting in my nice warm car while controlling with heater on.
Video turned out fine.

I thought about any damage it might cause to the battery if exposed too long to the elements.

Then I thought about strapping on a hotpocket chemical warmer but considered the weight, aerodynamics and interference to the props.

Just a thought but i might test this theory next time out, see if i can keep the battery warm. Depending on the cost of Hot Pockets it may not be worth it
2017-12-12
Use props
EmmferMedia
lvl.2
United Kingdom

One tip I recommend from years of working with camera batteries in the cold, make a thin pouch from an old t-shirt and a belt and put your batteries in it, then strap that pouch across your chest like a bandolier. Your  body heat under a decent coat will help maintain battery temps (not the same as a heater mind) and also give you easy access. Now, I know the batteries can be quite bulky, but I carried 4 large PAG mounted blocks this way (sleeves from a long-sleeved tee helped as they were tubes already) when shooting a small indie years ago, and as long as you're not running around it's doable, just make sure your winter-wear has space to still maintain the thermal air pocket it creates.
2017-12-13
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

EmmferMedia Posted at 2017-12-13 02:41
One tip I recommend from years of working with camera batteries in the cold, make a thin pouch from an old t-shirt and a belt and put your batteries in it, then strap that pouch across your chest like a bandolier. Your  body heat under a decent coat will help maintain battery temps (not the same as a heater mind) and also give you easy access. Now, I know the batteries can be quite bulky, but I carried 4 large PAG mounted blocks this way (sleeves from a long-sleeved tee helped as they were tubes already) when shooting a small indie years ago, and as long as you're not running around it's doable, just make sure your winter-wear has space to still maintain the thermal air pocket it creates.

woow
Thank you for sharing this to us!
2017-12-13
Use props
Guidutra5
lvl.2

Taiwan

It's a pity I only saw this post after my trip to Cervinia-IT. I had my hands frozen, phone shutting off and the IOS 11.1 date problem, but I made great videos. I will post it soon.
2017-12-13
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Guidutra5 Posted at 2017-12-13 17:15
It's a pity I only saw this post after my trip to Cervinia-IT. I had my hands frozen, phone shutting off and the IOS 11.1 date problem, but I made great videos. I will post it soon.

Look forward to that!
2017-12-13
Use props
Rob Hulford
lvl.2
Flight distance : 185220 ft
United Kingdom

fansd01a4059 Posted at 2017-12-9 04:28
I live in the Mountains at an altitude of 8,000 feet.  Yes, in order for snow to "stick" the temperature needs to be at or below freezing.  But that is not to say that after it snows and the weather get a bit warmer that the snow melts instantly.  There is usually a few days when the temp raises into the 40's and 50's and there is a beautiful blanket of snow on the ground so that's when you would film the landscape.

As far as windchill...It only affects living organisms.  Once the battery reached the ambient air temperature, wind would have no effect on it.

I tried out the done in the snow the other day. Air temp was 28oF -2C and there was light snow falling and a gusty breeze, just about OK to lift off. The biggest problem I had was snow flakes falling on my iPhone X screen attached to the RC. That kept triggering, of all things SIRI !!!  WTF ??  And you need to unlock your screen with a visual view, and of course I had wooly hat, coat scarf, so the phone didn't recognise me..  Moral of story,,.. take your old iPhone when you decide to fly... lol

2017-12-14
Use props
Guidutra5
lvl.2

Taiwan

How can I put the video direct in the post? I made a post but shows only the link.
2017-12-14
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Guidutra5 Posted at 2017-12-14 07:02
How can I put the video direct in the post? I made a post but shows only the link.

share the link to me here!
I will help edit it!
2017-12-14
Use props
Guidutra5
lvl.2

China

tamour Posted at 2017-12-11 14:13

I fly it on -8°. No problem at all only my phone turn off because the cold weather.
2017-12-17
Use props
Guidutra5
lvl.2

China

DJI Grace Posted at 2017-12-14 20:29
share the link to me here!
I will help edit it!

2017-12-17
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Guidutra5 Posted at 2017-12-17 04:58
https://vimeo.com/247315087

Hey, the video shows in your reply!
You can create a thread to post it!
2017-12-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent tips. Thanks for posting.
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-18 16:46
Excellent tips. Thanks for posting.

You are welcome!
2017-12-18
Use props
cannabenoid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97274 ft
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-2 13:09
You will regret it if you don’t. No serious flying restrictions, more wild nature than Africa and not one single tree of note. They say in Iceland, if you get lost in a forrest all you need to do is stand up to see where you are. OK, the days are short at this time of the year, but that leaves more time for spotting Trolls and of course the Aurora Borealis.
[view_image]
Long exposure Kirkjufellsfoss

What a gorgeous shot. And good to know about the lack of restrictions/obstructions.
2017-12-26
Use props
fans330dadb2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Austria

I flew my DJI Spark in Zero degrees c (0c) today, plus misty weather,, and received an "Ultra Sonic Sensor warning,, is this related?
2017-12-26
Use props
Forum Troll
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13235 ft

United States

I've had my Phantom 3 Pro out in -5 °F and it performed great if you drone does get snow on it dont blow it off cause it will all go inside.
2018-2-10
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Great tips, thanks for sharing!
2018-2-10
Use props
Merced69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 327096 ft
Canada

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-2-10 14:29
Great tips, thanks for sharing!

I have played with electronics in cold weather for many years.  Batteries are the number 1 concern, if the whole battery is allowed to cool off it can loose power, till eventually have no current even when fully charged.  Always keep it in your inside pocket, in car etc.  As we know batteries warm up once flying and I haven't yet had a battery loose power while flying if it started warm.  

I have had issues with sensors if I fly too soon after taking AC outside.  I found 20 minutes (or so depending upon temperature difference) allows the AC to settle into the temperature change.  I almost lost a heli a few years back flying immediately, and tail wouldn't hold.  

Plastic will become more brittle as it gets cold, be careful with bumping cold plastic.

Otherwise cold air has more density than hot air, so you may find flight characteristics slightly changed.  You may have more powerful response, but you may experience less flight times depending how cold, etc.

Mostly enjoy, -30c flying is much different than 30c, you have to keep yourself warm, but most electronic equipment loves the cold more than heat.
2018-6-13
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
Flight distance : 135633 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Grace, I'm curious as to how you post your loopable gifs.

When I post a gif picture or attach a gif, you can only see it at the end of the post. When I use "Add a Video", the link has to be clicked to open the gif on a new page.

Thank you!
2018-6-13
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

nice guidance Grace
2018-7-18
Use props
TimDerLauch
lvl.2

Yes, he done good !
2018-8-6
Use props
McKindlehammer
New

United States

And don't slip on the Ice like I did ! LOL
2019-6-25
Use props
kellykevin
New

India

This is really helpful, thanks for sharing.
2019-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules