Manual vs Auto Focus
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DNR 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1689478 ft
United States

Just upgraded to the P4A from the P3P so I'm just getting familiar with it and haven't flown much yet.

One of my main questions had to do with flying in auto or manual focus mode. That was never an option on the P3.

My first inclination would be to set the camera in manual mode and focus to infinity, so that way, I could focus
primarily on flying and not have to worry about constantly checking focus or the focus shifting. But some videos
I've watched on YT show that you can lose focus on an object, even if it is fairly far away. That kind of puzzles me because
I'd think you'd have a huge depth of field from the air, especially if you are stopped down, which I'm assuming I'd be on sunny days.  

Any way, I'm just curious what others are doing.

Do you fly in auto or manual or does it just depend on what you are shooting?

Any thoughts appreciated.

2017-12-1
Use props
Toorboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

hi DNR 1 I am in the same boat as you buddy I upgraded to a P4A from the P3P
three weeks ago the auto focus is handy because if you focus on an object for a photo
and forget to re-set the focus to the horizon afterward to shoot video it will auto focus for you
if you go manual you will have to remember to keep re-setting your focus after taking a photo
I am not 100% with this bird I am still learning about bits on it
2017-12-1
Use props
DNR 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1689478 ft
United States

Thanks for the reply.
I will have to get out and experiment with it. I saw a vid on You Tube, and the guy used the X-grid overlay to manually focus in the center to infinity, and he said that kept him in focus for the most part.
When I shoot with land cameras, especially a Steadicam, I always use manual focus and set the aperture so I have a nice depth of field to work with and can focus on composition and holding my frame consistent. But I will have to get out and play around with it. It looks like AF might be the way to go if you are close in on a subject though. Unfortunately, the weather has not been cooperating at all and still grounded for now.

2017-12-1
Use props
muneebkhatri
New

Pakistan

I have express a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorite’s blog site list and will be checking back soon…
2018-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules