Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic crash after Motor Current Error + Battery overcurrent
12Next >
3460 43 2017-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Censurion
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448192 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hello,

I was flying my Mavic Pro today and the temperature outside was 1 degrees Celsius. It was a little bit foggy.  I wanted to reproduce and test the gimbal errors I recently had and also test the new panorama photo feature. I was hovering at 29 meter Hight and suddenly I got the following 2 errors:

1.) Motor Current Error

And 8 seconds later the error:

2.) Battery overcurrent During discharge.

I wanted to immediately fly the 15 meters back to where is was standing. I lost control en saw the mavic from out itself descending quickly. And when it was about 5 meters above the ground it dropped. The drop damaged 2 motors and also 2 propellers. Now I can't use my drone anymore.

Questions:

1.) I am used to flying during this weather with my Phantom 2 and now with the Mavic I was thinking it was no problem. could the weather be the reason of dropping or something else? (I see a lot of people filming in the mountains while snowboarding or filming the snow.

2.) Does DJI repair this under guarantee? (Perhaps they can combine this with my open DJI repair case for the gimball)
2017-12-2
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

You didn't say how long time the mavic took before dropping.

It should take time warming before taking off and if hovering for some time, this is enough for the battery, therefor, I don't think the cold weather was the reason.
2017-12-2
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 2017-12-2 10:00
You didn't say how long time the mavic took before dropping.

It should take time warming before taking off and if hovering for some time, this is enough for the battery, therefor, I don't think the cold weather was the reason.

The mavic was hoovering for 2 minutes before the warnings came and the drone crashed.
2017-12-3
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

could the weather be the reason of dropping or something else? (I see a lot of people filming in the mountains while snowboarding or filming the snow.

1°C is within the Mavic's operating temperature range, but the manual also indicates that the battery's "capacity is significantly reduced when flying in low temperatures" up to 5°C. Offhand I'd guess that yes, the low temperature probably played a role in what happened. Did you keep the battery warm until just before the flight or was it exposed to the cold a while?

Does DJI repair this under guarantee?

They might, but I would guess that their decision will be based an analysis of the flight circumstances. If you want someone here to look at the same information DJI will review then access the DAT file from the flight, upload it to DropBox, and provide a link to it in this thread. The instructions for retrieving a DAT file are here and the correct file will have a date and time that correspond to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size.
2017-12-3
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

IMHO, at almost 100 feet, high moisture in the air and low temps at that height seems like a recipe for trouble.
2017-12-3
Use props
mtgscouser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 358 ft
United Kingdom

I haven't experienced this yet with the mavic. But the other day with my gopro karma I did. I'd kept it in my car boot all day then as it was flying after a few minutes I got the battery current error, landing in place I believe it was due to a cold battery.
2017-12-3
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

What could have happened:

Due to the low temperature and the fog, the propellers got coated with ice. As a result of that they lost their power. So, the motors tried to compensate for this, and they increased their speed. They pulled more power from the battery and threw a "motor current error". The high current got the battery into troubles and the battry threw the "battery overcurrent" error. At that point the battery could not deliver the power to keep the drone in the air so that it started to descend. As the battery voltage dropped further that drone was turned off and fell down.

Just an idea.
2017-12-3
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-3 04:52
could the weather be the reason of dropping or something else? (I see a lot of people filming in the mountains while snowboarding or filming the snow.

1°C is within the Mavic's operating temperature range, but the manual also indicates that the battery's "capacity is significantly reduced when flying in low temperatures" up to 5°C. Offhand I'd guess that yes, the low temperature probably played a role in what happened. Did you keep the battery warm until just before the flight or was it exposed to the cold a while?

I flew direct near my house and the battery came from inside the house and was warm.  I had already contact with DJI support and they send me the UPC labels to send it to them so they can have a look.  I fly drones for nearly 5 years and never had problems flying in the fog with the temperature just above 0 degrees. Perhaps the Mavic is having problems with it.
2017-12-3
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dronoob Posted at 2017-12-3 08:02

Due to the low temperature and the fog, the propellers got coated with ice. As a result of that they lost their power. So, the motors tried to compensate for this, and they increased their speed. They pulled more power from the battery and threw a "motor current error". The high current got the battery into troubles and the battry threw the "battery overcurrent" error. At that point the battery could not deliver the power to keep the drone in the air so that it started to descend. As the battery voltage dropped further that drone was turned off and fell down.

Think that this could be the problem, perhaps also because I was hovering on the same place and there was not much wind.....but with a Phantom 2 that was never a problem.......with the Mavic it dropped....
2017-12-3
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-3 09:41
I flew direct near my house and the battery came from inside the house and was warm.  I had already contact with DJI support and they send me the UPC labels to send it to them so they can have a look.  I fly drones for nearly 5 years and never had problems flying in the fog with the temperature just above 0 degrees. Perhaps the Mavic is having problems with it.

I fly drones for nearly 5 years and never had problems flying in the fog with the temperature just above 0 degrees. Perhaps the Mavic is having problems with it.

It isn't a widespread problem that I'm aware of. Again, if you upload the DAT file someone will take a look; otherwise we can only speculate and wait for DJI to make a decision about your case. Without more information, there's not much anyone can offer beyond guessing what caused this and offering sympathy.

Even if you've already shipped it back to DJI and don't have the DAT file you should definitely still have the TXT file that's stored on your mobile device that you can upload. It won't provide nearly as much information, but may still provide more insight into what happened. The instructions for retrieving the TXT file are here, and once you've uploaded it you should provide a link to it in this thread. Again, though, the DAT file would be much more helpful if you really want to know why this happened.
2017-12-3
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-3 04:52

I downloaded the DAT file.  Here is the link https://wetransfer.com/downloads ... 171203192821/1e0b07 (How can I extract the data myself? )
2017-12-3
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-3 11:58
I downloaded the DAT file.  Here is the link https://wetransfer.com/downloads/3bf194095ee0ae114becfd149f1ecca020171203192821/d68bb71003ac342c6d156b39c1bc354d20171203192821/1e0b07 (How can I extract the data myself? )

You can view the DAT file information using the CsvView utility, but it looks like those files (FLY080 and FLY082) probably came from your remote controller, correct? Please upload the DAT file(s) from the Mavic itself, as they will have a great deal more information.
2017-12-3
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-3 12:10
You can view the DAT file information using the CsvView utility, but it looks like those files (FLY080 and FLY082) probably came from your remote controller, correct? Please upload the DAT file(s) from the Mavic itself, as they will have a great deal more information.

I downloaded the files from the Mavic itself. But didn't select everything. Do I have to select all files? (I shall also try to post a screencast from the flight log of the flight when it went wrong and the Mavic Crashed.
2017-12-3
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is a screenvideo from the flightlog
2017-12-3
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-3 12:17
I downloaded the files from the Mavic itself. But didn't select everything. Do I have to select all files? (I shall also try to post a screencast from the flight log of the flight when it went wrong and the Mavic Crashed.

Yes, just go ahead and select everything and I'll figure out which one it is.
2017-12-3
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is a video from the FlightLog.  A little strange that DJI has chosen a white font color for the hight and distance. You can see it when you look good. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=dWuvbdlbDm8
2017-12-3
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Just to throw in my 2 cents: I did fog flying in about 5-6 degrees this autumn, and there was condensation forming on the upper part of the arms and on the rear of the body. In sub-0 that condensation would not be blown off by the props and form a layer of ice, increasing Mavic's weight.
2017-12-3
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is a new link to the dat files. I selected every file from yesterday, the day it crashed.  https://we.tl/gzTiC2doXH
2017-12-3
Use props
djiuser_KN8tTJ2
New
Flight distance : 48018 ft
Australia

Hi DJI!

I ve lost my drone as it flew away from me by itself amd didn't come ba k. I need to get somebody from DJI to be able to check last log what had happened.

My email is jakub.tichy1@gmail.com and I have already sent the troubleticket to DJI. Unfortunately without the log as I can not mark it in the app.

Thanks for contacting!

Jakub
2017-12-3
Use props
BudWalker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-3 13:13
This is a new link to the dat files. I selected every file from yesterday, the day it crashed.  https://we.tl/gzTiC2doXH

I looked at FLY080.DAT. The eventLog stream shows that the battery was being upgrade during this flight. Did you recently upgrade the FW? Here are the entries in the eventLog stream
473.280 :   25225 [L-BATTERY][!]get power off msg! motor:0
473.300 :   25226 [L-BATTERY]finish battery upgrading

2017-12-4
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-12-3 08:02

I've seen ice formation in those conditions, especially since temps aloft, even a few meters, can be several degrees different from surface.  However, in this circumstance, I doubt there would be ice formation on the props - although that would explain a lot of the observations.  High humidity = lower air density, but the lower temps increase the density, so that situation may be insignificant.  So you're best bet is to examine the DAT files.
2017-12-4
Use props
Outcast
lvl.1
Russia

Hi, last Sunday (2017-12-3) my Mavic crashed with same 2 errors, though I was flying through fog at height appximately 500 meters. Haven't seen logs yet
2017-12-4
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

BudWalker Posted at 2017-12-4 05:05
I looked at FLY080.DAT. The eventLog stream shows that the battery was being upgrade during this flight. Did you recently upgrade the FW? Here are the entries in the eventLog stream

I always update to newest firmware but have flown with it after the upgrade. I upgrade through the DJI app and noticed that sometimes the battery isn't upgraded. But besides that, the upgrade shouldn't happen during the flight. That is strange.
2017-12-4
Use props
Jumbo333
lvl.2
Flight distance : 797930 ft
France

BudWalker Posted at 2017-12-4 05:05

Battery upgrade during flight is possible ?!

It's a strong security issue ...
2017-12-4
Use props
BudWalker
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-4 06:36
I always update to newest firmware but have flown with it after the upgrade. I upgrade through the DJI app and noticed that sometimes the battery isn't upgraded. But besides that, the upgrade shouldn't happen during the flight. That is strange.

I agree. It shouldn't upgrade the battery during a flight. This is the first time I've seen this.

I have to caution you that the contents of the eventLog stream change with every FW so it's not totally clear what's meant by a lot of the stuff in there. But, it seems too much of a coincidence that there were the mysterious battery related warnings in conjunction with the messages in the eventLog stream

There were other strange and unusual problems with the .DAT. Many corrupted records. I had to change DatCon to be smarter about detecting and discarding bad records. Too bad DJI doesn't provide any info about their findings when they look at the .DAT
2017-12-4
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

BudWalker Posted at 2017-12-4 07:07
I agree. It shouldn't upgrade the battery during a flight. This is the first time I've seen this.

I have to caution you that the contents of the eventLog stream change with every FW so it's not totally clear what's meant by a lot of the stuff in there. But, it seems too much of a coincidence that there were the mysterious battery related warnings in conjunction with the messages in the eventLog stream

I had also problems with generating the DAT files. First I selected every file within the DJI app, also newer files but then I got errors which  indicated that the file could not be processed or compressed.
2017-12-4
Use props
BudWalker
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-4 10:16
I had also problems with generating the DAT files. First I selected every file within the DJI app, also newer files but then I got errors which  indicated that the file could not be processed or compressed.

What kind of errors?
2017-12-4
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

compression failure errors which result in no output file.
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Censurion. I am so sorry for your crash. Have you reported this case to our support and sent the drone back? Please contact our support support.nl@dji.com to start a ticket and send your drone in, we will help to make data analysis for this crash if the drone is under warranty period, if it's malfunction, we will get your drone repaired with no charge according to our After-sales Policy.
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

djiuser_KN8tTJ2 Posted at 2017-12-3 21:11
Hi DJI!

I ve lost my drone as it flew away from me by itself amd didn't come ba k. I need to get somebody from DJI to be able to check last log what had happened.

Hi Jakub, that unfortunate for your loss. So you have contacted our support already, right? If yes, please provide me with your ticket number. But if you haven't, please contact support@dji.com to start the ticket first. However, if I had not misunderstood, you said you lost the log of the fly away accident on the app, right? If so, please try to connect your mobile device to check if it has still restored on the app, or we are not able to locate the reason for this case.
Here is the route to find the record:
For Android devices, connect the device to the computer, find the flight records stored in …/sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord/SyncResult, and copy the required flight records to the computer.
For iOS devices, connect the device to the computer, launch the iTunes, find the flight records in the DJI GO app, and copy the FlightRecord folder to the computer.
2017-12-4
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-4 23:06
Hi Censurion. I am so sorry for your crash. Have you reported this case to our support and sent the drone back? Please contact our support  to start a ticket and send your drone in, we will help to make data analysis for this crash if the drone is under warranty period, if it's malfunction, we will get your drone repaired with no charge according to our After-sales Policy.

I already send the drone back.  It was also for this already reported issue.    Important for the guarantee is that I ordered in Oktober last year but had to wait to get it delivered in March/April.   For the issue with the gimbal, the drone would be replaced.  But wanted to try different SD card last Saturday for the gimbal issue and shooting Panorama pictures. Then it went down.....
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-5 07:40
I already send the drone back.  It was also for this already reported issue.  https://youtu.be/kUixGsT7aUs  Important for the guarantee is that I ordered in Oktober last year but had to wait to get it delivered in March/April.   For the issue with the gimbal, the drone would be replaced.  But wanted to try different SD card last Saturday for the gimbal issue and shooting Panorama pictures. Then it went down.....

That's a pity. If you have sent it back, you can provide me with your case number if there is a need for me to help. Hope you can get the drone back soon.
2017-12-6
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-6 05:09
That's a pity. If you have sent it back, you can provide me with your case number if there is a need for me to help. Hope you can get the drone back soon.

This is the case number CAS-1040301-R3W6T3  I already informed the DJI Twitter support that they have to update the case that it is not only the gimbal but also about this crash.  I would send it already in for the gimbal problem but therefore it is a pity that if felt out of the sky.  Hope support can check the logs and the gimbal problem and send me a replacement. Yesterday I bought a Spark fly  more combo because I need a drone this weekend.
2017-12-6
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hello DJI! You received my MAVIC but you don’t diagnosed iT right. Did tou use the info provided here? There are 2 motors defect and not one and iT is not my fold that the Drone fell out of the sky! The Drone had allready to be replaced for the gimball issue. Can you Please have a better look at iT?
AC2A3134-5930-480D-8C42-E445E9E8F218.png
2017-12-7
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-6 05:09

Dear DJI Thor,

Can you pleas help me?  I get an email from the repair with costs but I don't think they examined my drone the right way and didn's read this thread.

Greetings Collin
2017-12-7
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is a better link to the flightlog to see what happend
2017-12-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-7 03:02
Dear DJI Thor,

Can you pleas help me?  I get an email from the repair with costs but I don't think they examined my drone the right way and didn's read this thread.

Hi Collin, yes, the drone has not been analyzed coz according to the case log, it seems you chose "Pilot Error" when you applied the online repair case, right? Now I will help to forward to the local team and apply a data analysis, please wait for the result. Thank you.
2017-12-7
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-7 18:18
Hi Collin, yes, the drone has not been analyzed coz according to the case log, it seems you chose "Pilot Error" when you applied the online repair case, right? Now I will help to forward to the local team and apply a data analysis, please wait for the result. Thank you.

No I never mentioned "Pilot error"  And had a letter within my Box when i shipped the mavic  where i refer at the 2 online Forum threads . Thanks for farwarding the issue. Hope they have enoufh information now...............
2017-12-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Censurion Posted at 2017-12-8 06:35
No I never mentioned "Pilot error"  And had a letter within my Box when i shipped the mavic  where i refer at the 2 online Forum threads . Thanks for farwarding the issue. Hope they have enoufh information now...............

Hope it will be resolved and you can receive the drone back soon. I will also help to keep an eye on your case. Thank you for your patience.
2017-12-10
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-10 23:25
Hope it will be resolved and you can receive the drone back soon. I will also help to keep an eye on your case. Thank you for your patience.

It is now a warranty case which I am happy about that. There is  stil one problem and that is that there are 2 motor arms are defect and that are the Rear Right Motor Arm but also the Front Right Motor.  In the quotation notice mail from DJI I only see the  Rear Right Motor Arm as defect. Now I am affraid that they don't repair the right front one and that I receive back the drone withouth beining good repair. Can you address my concerns and ask them to replace both arms and check the drone before sending it back?
2017-12-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules