Maintenance and P3's short warranty period
1872 5 2015-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Long Hot Summer
New

Netherlands

What kind of maintenance should you perform on the P3 other than replacing propellers? Is cleaning drones easy?

Also, the short warranty periods really bother me... nothing has 2 years warranty (not even the remote control) and the battery only 3 months. I understand that drones are prone to hurt themselves but the warranty is about factory defects . . . I assume every drone gets some basic testing but real factory defects would pop up 6 months or later after buying.

Can someone with experience tell me a P3's (or similar) 'normal expected life expectancy'?

Not to complain but I keep doubting about whether to buy the P3 or not! It's not cheap for me and the warranty periods aren't confidence inducing . . .

From http://www.dji.com/service/warranty-period :

Remote Control12 Months
Battery3 Months
Gimbal Camera6 Months
Motor6 Months
Central Board12 Months
FrameNo Warranty
PropellerNo Warranty

2015-4-14
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

.Caveat Emptor...Buyer Beware..Just check the issues that the Inspire 1 has on the blogs...It was just launched a couple of months ago and the life expectancy for some was as soon as you got it and others 1 week to a month, and yet others no problems...Wait till they start asking for Beta testers for the P3...No Wait...You may not be a Beta Tester but you will be a First Adopter, so expect problems ...Do your home work check out the competitor prices and warranties as well as the P2...It is more established...DJI customer service has proved to be a mixed bag of fish some good some not so good...
2015-4-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

The average age of a quadcopter in the wild seems to be about a year or less. That's from my own experience as well as reading the experiences of thousands of others.
If you are really careful (almost no one is!) it could last longer. I have an original Phantom 1 that's 1 1/2 years old and still going strong. I've done some work on it though (resolder some stuff, new R/C TX, etc.)

Quadcopters are not like phones or even computers - because they fly! Picture if you were using your Macbook Air for disc golf and you'll get the idea.

This is an expensive hobby - well, it doesn't have to be.....but if you want the fancy stuff and want to keep it flying, it's costly. You can have a lot of fun and even take some pics with $200 worth of equipment (total quad and cam).

But these are fragile little birds and people use and abuse them. They are vastly more capable than just a few years ago....

I guess what I am saying is that a longer warranty would not make much difference. If something was wrong with the manufacturing it would likely show up in the first 10 hours or so of flight.

If the P3 is like the other Phantoms, we'll have to pay attention to the battery contacts and telemetry pins....most of the other stuff can last a long while unless you land in water or crash hard.

DJI stuff is no different than other brands in these matters - that is, it's not like another brand is going to give you two years of service and a DJI won't. In fact, DJI stuff is more proven than most.
2015-4-14
Use props
silverxrider.me
lvl.2

United States

Seeing as how the P3 is essentially a souped up P2 I would assume most of the 'normal' issues have already been corrected. If we have battery pin or data contact issues with the P3 then there are some really stupid people at DJI. As most all of those types of issues (hardware) were already worked out I expect any issues to be in the firmware/software dept.  I for one was lucky and in over 200 flights have not had one issue with my P2V (knock, knock). I did however change the power block out of an abundance of caution.
2015-4-14
Use props
tabbe
lvl.2

Finland

Actually, they cannot sell P3 with these kind of warranties in EU. Since EU got consumer rights that state all products, excluding batteries (6month) should have 2 years of warranty.

2015-4-14
Use props
Long Hot Summer
New

Netherlands

tabbe Posted at 2015-4-15 13:20
Actually, they cannot sell P3 with these kind of warranties in EU. Since EU got consumer rights that ...

Yes that was what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. Maybe if it's not classified as a toy but as ... ??? they could?

Drones are interesting... I do think that right now is maybe the worst time to buy them because so much is changing so quickly. But I want to...
2015-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules