Returning Inspire 1
1001 7 2015-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ssteenberg
lvl.2

United States

I owned my Inspire 1 for two weeks when it lost it's mind during auto landing and surged fwd at full speed into 2 people. Luckily Amazon replaced it for free but I am really thinking about returning it and just flying my Phantom 1 until the 3D Robotics Solo comes out or the Inspire 2. What do you think?
2015-4-14
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

Did you happen to notice if the craft went in to Atti mode, and if so was it windy at the time? If that were to happen, GPS would be momentarilly lost and the wind would take the craft in the direction of the wind if you don't counter the wind with opposing control. I've had this happen several times, typically lasts only 5-10sec but can be disastrous at the wrong moment!
2015-4-14
Use props
REDBARON
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2456043 ft
Canada

More info will help. What firmware were you on? IMU? Compass calibration ? Etc..,,
2015-4-14
Use props
markwiss.hotmai
lvl.2
United States

I've just sent mine back for repair after a very similar occurrence.  DJI states that the landing struts are composite material.  Unfortunately, the attachment to the pivot arm is plastic.  The strut connections broke right off.  shipping it back cost a bundle.  unhappy puppy here.
2015-4-14
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just watched the video for the 3D Robitics SOLO and it is quite impressive. Of course what promotional videos aren't. But I think they are on to something. DJI just may find themselves loosing market share fast if they don't get their shit together. I think the your thought process is a very logical one but even after all of this, I am still betting on my inspire. However, once I do get it back and I think I can do more with the SOLO, EBAY it is for the Inspire. It all depends on the issues that arise once the SOLO comes out. I am sure there will be some. That fact that is all open source is pretty nice.
2015-4-14
Use props
ssteenberg
lvl.2

United States

My inspire was on latest firmware and I calibrated compass and IMU before takeoff. Zero wind on the day it happened. Forgot to mention it was about 2 inches off the ground when this happened.
2015-4-14
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

ssteenberg@gmai Posted at 2015-4-15 05:02
My inspire was on latest firmware and I calibrated compass and IMU before takeoff. Zero wind on the  ...

Just a quick note. I had GPS dropouts and Compass error quite a few times. It seems this issues will be fixed in the next firmware update.

Till that - Make sure that after takeoff, you take the Inspire to the skies. I noticed that most of the error happens 1-2 after takeoff. So if you are flying quite high, you wont crash. I also recommend flying in atti mode, so you practice. GPS loss takes like 5-10 seconds to recover.
Compass error is the same.. It will switch to ATTI mode for a few sec than its ok. I had compass error twice and I have 12 flight hours behind me.
2015-4-14
Use props
markwiss.hotmai
lvl.2
United States

Skywolf007 Posted at 2015-4-15 06:03
Just a quick note. I had GPS dropouts and Compass error quite a few times. It seems this issues wi ...

1-2 minutes after takeoff fits the timeframe.  The status bar went from green to yellow within 12 seconds after takeoff.  I heard a beeping but by the time I looked down it was too late.  What bothers is that the aircraft does not remain stationary long enough to respond to the change. Maybe a unique warning sound when this dropout occurs. Maybe program stationary hold at dropout.   It took off much faster than I ever considered flying it normally.  
2015-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules