Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New remote and battery for Spark… TERRIBLE experience so far
767 9 2017-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhotoJoseph
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56729 ft
United States

OK DJI, what gives…

I bought a remote for my Spark. Yay!

Yesterday I paired it to the Spark, and made sure there were no firmward updates. Great.

Today I go to fly it…

1. It takes FOREVER for the remote to show up on the iPhone's WiFi. I reboot it twice, keep toggling wifi on the phone, and finally after maybe ten minutes, it shows up. Meanhile of couse the Spark is sitting there burning battery.

2. Once connected, I see a barage of interference errors. I turn off bluetooth on my own phone, have my friend turn off his phone, and finally realize perhaps my Apple Watch is causing interference. Once thoe were all off, the errors finally go away. Really; it's THAT sensitive? OK, fine.

3. It also tells me there's a firmward update for the remote, but it'll let me fly without running it. Thank god.

4. I get my first flight in. Yay! All is good. Fly until I run out of battery.

5. Connect the second (new) battery, and it needs a firmware update. OK, fair enough I didn't connect this yesteday. So I do that, and the DJI Go 4 app crashes. Again. And again. And again. It seems like the update is still goijng and fianlly after several relaunches of the app, the Spark reboots and I think it's OK to go.

6. But no… NOW it insists I update the fimrware on the remote. So I start running that (meanwhile draining battery, of course), and naturally the DJI app keeps crashing.

7. I give up and go home.

8. Now that I'm home, I try again. And the app keeps crashing again and again. So, I can't update the firwmare, at least not with the DJI app.

9. Also, WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD is the remote BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPING the entire time it's updating? THis is necessary? And of course it keeps beeping after the DJi app has crashed, so who knows what's actually happening. I finally power down the beeping remote, because I cna't update the damn thing, and it's beeping so loudly you can hear it all over the house.

10. Also, the programmabel function buttons seem to never remeber what they are set to. Every time I fire this up, it says the buttons aren't set. Really?!

This is a TERRIBLE experience. Yes the remote is a much better way to fly, but so far, it's a pretty crappy expeirence.

iPhone X, iOS 11.1.2
DJI GO 4 app v.4.1.18 (3018)

2017-12-3
Use props
PhotoJoseph
lvl.2
United States

Update… I connected the remote to my iPad, and it doesn't show an update needed for the remote. Back on the iPhone, it says it needs to update to v. 01.00.0400. Back on the iPad, I watched it do a firmware check, then come back and say all up to date. WTF?!
2017-12-3
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

What iPhone and ios are you using? There was issues between i7+ and ios 11.1.x and the dji go 4. The issues seems to disappear on 11.2

Try update iphone fw
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

PhotoJoseph Posted at 2017-12-3 16:19
Update… I connected the remote to my iPad, and it doesn't show an update needed for the remote. Back on the iPhone, it says it needs to update to v. 01.00.0400. Back on the iPad, I watched it do a firmware check, then come back and say all up to date. WTF?!

Hi, sir. Can you provide me a screenshot in the general setting- about? For you first question, please try to reset the wifi and see if it works better. Secondly, bluetooth devices will affect your spark. We would recommend users turn off the bluetooth for better image transmission. And you can also try to reset your RC throught long press the power button for 9 seconds. And you will hear 3 beeps. Thanks for your cooperation.
2017-12-3
Use props
PhotoJoseph
lvl.2
United States

Supong Posted at 2017-12-3 18:16
What iPhone and ios are you using? There was issues between i7+ and ios 11.1.x and the dji go 4. The issues seems to disappear on 11.2

Try update iphone fw

Thanks Supong. I was on iOS 11.1.2 (as noted above) and didn't even realize there was an 11.2… it was apparently just released. Nice timing. Good news; once I updated to iOS 11.2 I was able to run the firmware update without the DJI app crashing, so YAY THAT!
2017-12-3
Use props
PhotoJoseph
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-3 19:19
Hi, sir. Can you provide me a screenshot in the general setting- about? For you first question, please try to reset the wifi and see if it works better. Secondly, bluetooth devices will affect your spark. We would recommend users turn off the bluetooth for better image transmission. And you can also try to reset your RC throught long press the power button for 9 seconds. And you will hear 3 beeps. Thanks for your cooperation.

Hi DJI Elektra,

OK, as noted above, I updated my iOS to 11.2 and was able to successfully update the firmware on the remote. It did do a weird thing after updating where the General > About page tried to tell me I still needed to update, but after a relaunch of the app, it seems to be happier. Here is a screenshot:

So now I've updated the iOS and the firmware, we'll see how things go. I will reset the RC if this doesn't do well.

My complaints about the required firmware update (a big ongoing issue with DJI it seems), and the incessant beeping of the remote during the update still stand though ;-)  

I'm glad to hear it may have been as simple as an iOS update that was needed though. At last that's something.

Thanks for the help. Now, can you please address the VERY longs standing issue of not shooting true 29.97 fps? https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1055503
2017-12-3
Use props
PhotoJoseph
lvl.2
United States

I wanted to update this thread… once I finally got everything up to date, the remote has been fantastic. Just had some serious frustration in the beginning. But now, it rocks!
2017-12-16
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

PhotoJoseph Posted at 2017-12-16 13:50
I wanted to update this thread… once I finally got everything up to date, the remote has been fantastic. Just had some serious frustration in the beginning. But now, it rocks!

Great to hear! We all needed some time to get into it but once you know how it works all is well.
2017-12-16
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

Glad you got it sorted, the remote makes all the difference with flying the Spark
2017-12-16
Use props
choban
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30784 ft
Germany

Do you still have problems with interferences coming from your Apple Watch or that just happened once?
2017-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules