FAA Minimum Altitude?
2195 35 2017-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans42c4df55
lvl.1
Flight distance : 90879 ft
United States

Can I fly let’s say only 20ft up and not have to worry about FAA regulations? I live 4 miles from an airport and air force base and wondered if I fly low enough do the restrictions still apply.
2017-12-4
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

You want the FAA to just disappear/turn their head? Welcome to the forum.
I'd be surprised you will be able to start it up that close? Also a few depends to add on.
2017-12-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

If the NFZ is in DJI's database you won't be able to take off.
2017-12-4
Use props
fans42c4df55
lvl.1
United States

I don’t want the FAA to turn their heads to me flying. I am just wondering if you stay below a certain height they won’t care or even notice. Like I want to take a pic of my entire family in our back yard using the Mavic and just go up 10 feet am I breaking the law? The DJI GO 4 app lets me fly just says I am in a warning zone.
2017-12-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans42c4df55 Posted at 2017-12-4 12:47
I don’t want the FAA to turn their heads to me flying. I am just wondering if you stay below a certain height they won’t care or even notice. Like I want to take a pic of my entire family in our back yard using the Mavic and just go up 10 feet am I breaking the law? The DJI GO 4 app lets me fly just says I am in a warning zone.

No, one inch off the ground is airspace - the second your drone take offs it's flight is regulated. If you take off within 5 miles of any airspace where manned aircraft take off/land then yes, you are breaking the law -  irrespective of the drones altitude. If more than 5 miles away then takeoff is permitted but to a max altitude of 400' AGL. If it's just 10' off the ground that you're aiming for you could always use a Katana with the Mavic and stand on a chair.
2017-12-4
Use props
fans42c4df55
lvl.1
United States

Thank you for the response. Ok I have heard you can call the control tower of an airport and alert them you are flying within the 5 mile zone. I’m not sure if you are asking permission when you make that call or just alerting them but none the less can you do the same for Air Force bases or is it only local airports that you can do this with to request permission?
2017-12-4
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

I recommend that you use the B4UFly to check airspace where you are located. I will say that any where close to an Air Force Base is going to be RED airspace (no fly zone), especially if they fly from the base. To answer your question about minimum altitude, the correct answer is NO.
2017-12-4
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

Within 5 miles of an Airport is not RED airspace (unless it is an active Military Air Base). International and Regional airports are restricted airspace, not no fly zones. Again, check the B4UFly app...
2017-12-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans42c4df55 Posted at 2017-12-4 13:12
Thank you for the response. Ok I have heard you can call the control tower of an airport and alert them you are flying within the 5 mile zone. I’m not sure if you are asking permission when you make that call or just alerting them but none the less can you do the same for Air Force bases or is it only local airports that you can do this with to request permission?

The GO 4 app NFZ precise database will probably prevent take off. By all means call the tower and if you can take off then the risk is in your hands. I'm sure 10' off the ground in your back yard for a family selfie won't alert the FBI to your location but 400' may lead to a nasty letter through your door from the FAA if a neighbour reports you. Don't get too hung about by all the laws and regs you read - common sense prevails with drones more than anything but manned airspace is an absolute no go - no common sense in placing manned aircraft at risk just to take a photo...
2017-12-4
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Call the ATC but they'll probably hang up on you if you don't have a PT 107 waiver. Call....what's the worst that can happen?, they hang up or say no deal.
2017-12-4
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-4 15:36
Call the ATC but they'll probably hang up on you if you don't have a PT 107 waiver. Call....what's the worst that can happen?, they hang up or say no deal.

As a hobbyist, you're not asking for permission, you're informing the tower. If they hang up, and you've told them, that's up to them. You have complied with your requirements, as a hobbyist.
2017-12-4
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

This is a long video by a guy who was on the FAA rule making committee for the Part 107 rules, and he discusses  what Hobbyists must do when flying within 5 miles of an airport (link should take you directly to 12 minutes 39 seconds into the video):

2017-12-4
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Yeah you can inform the ATC but if they say for example, you cannot fly then you're out of luck.
2017-12-4
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hey you never know, they might even say sure go ahead and stay within certain altitude. Actually saw a  YT vid of a guy calling an ATC and got the go to fly...so yeah really depends location.
2017-12-4
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-4 15:54
Yeah you can inform the ATC but if they say for example, you cannot fly then you're out of luck.

Flying for Fun Under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
7. "Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?"

Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements. UAS FAQ - Section #7
2017-12-4
Use props
fans42c4df55
lvl.1
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-4 15:36

5 Miles from an airport you can call and let them know. Is an Air Force Bass the same? Can I call the ATC there?
2017-12-4
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

fans42c4df55 Posted at 2017-12-4 16:36
5 Miles from an airport you can call and let them know. Is an Air Force Bass the same? Can I call the ATC there?

I'm pretty sure an Air Force Base won't even have a public number to call their tower and they will most definitely say no if they did. And I would also think DJI restricted that area so your drone won't take off. I use Airmap and they give out the numbers of most airports. Most people who are there are pretty chill if you ask nicely. Mine didn't even know how to proceed and said it's fine based on my location and to just fly safely.
2017-12-4
Use props
fans42c4df55
lvl.1
United States

AEM74 Posted at 2017-12-4 17:26
I'm pretty sure an Air Force Base won't even have a public number to call their tower and they will most definitely say no if they did. And I would also think DJI restricted that area so your drone won't take off. I use Airmap and they give out the numbers of most airports. Most people who are there are pretty chill if you ask nicely. Mine didn't even know how to proceed and said it's fine based on my location and to just fly safely.

Is DJI’s map of areas not to fly very accurate? Because it allows me to take off and fly it just says I’m in a warning zone. The picture attached is where I live and what it looks like.
EC85964F-37D2-48CC-9C8D-8085F243A2E3.jpeg
2017-12-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

fans42c4df55 Posted at 2017-12-4 18:04
Is DJI’s map of areas not to fly very accurate? Because it allows me to take off and fly it just says I’m in a warning zone. The picture attached is where I live and what it looks like.

You're fine flying in a green zone, yellow zones require self-authorization, and red zones are verboten. It's the red zone that won't let you launch
2017-12-4
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

fans42c4df55 Posted at 2017-12-4 18:04

good grief Charlie Brown lol why didn't you post this in your first post?  I think most of us thought you were in the red/restricted zone..............
2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Yeah then in case you should be okay. Keep it low and be cautious.
2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Drone on !  

Share the footage.
2017-12-5
Use props
fans42c4df55
lvl.1
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-5 03:53
good grief Charlie Brown lol why didn't you post this in your first post?  I think most of us thought you were in the red/restricted zone..............

Sorry I tried to state I lived 4 miles away and that the app let me take off so I couldn’t have been in a red or yellow area. But  I can fly here no problem? Or flying in the green circle means alerting the ATC because I am within 5 miles?
2017-12-5
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

fans42c4df55 Posted at 2017-12-5 08:04
Sorry I tried to state I lived 4 miles away and that the app let me take off so I couldn’t have been in a red or yellow area. But  I can fly here no problem? Or flying in the green circle means alerting the ATC because I am within 5 miles?

I'd say you're ok as long as you fly north, east and southeast from your place.
2017-12-5
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans42c4df55 Posted at 2017-12-4 16:36

All Military Bases in the United State are a No Fly Zone and have been cleared to shoot your drone down.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/ ... -shoot-down-drones/
2017-12-5
Use props
fans42c4df55
lvl.1
United States

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2017-12-5 09:56
All Military Bases in the United State are a No Fly Zone and have been cleared to shoot your drone down.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a27670/american-military-bases-shoot-down-drones/

I have no intention of flying over the base, or even in that direction.
2017-12-5
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

fans42c4df55 Posted at 2017-12-5 08:04

Green doesn't always mean you are near an airport, but when you are within 5 miles you should notify the tower if they have one.  Check out: http://fromwhereidrone.com/can-y ... iles-of-an-airport/
2017-12-5
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2017-12-5 09:56

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a27670/american-military-bases-shoot-down-drones/

A lot of BS.
2017-12-5
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

cleared for takeoff mav...
2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans42c4df55 Posted at 2017-12-5 10:15
I have no intention of flying over the base, or even in that direction.

2017-12-5
Use props
fans42c4df55
lvl.1
United States

I went outside the 5 mile radius from the Air Force Base but was still about 4 miles from the local airport and then I called them asked for ATC and let him know where I’d be flying and that I was a hobbyist and he just said stay at or below 400 ft and call us when you are done. Super Simple! I am gonna try calling the Air Force Base and see if I can reach someone just to ask even though they will probably say no.
CEECA48E-922D-49F7-8685-C14F981B4B09.jpeg
2017-12-5
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans42c4df55 Posted at 2017-12-5 17:25
I went outside the 5 mile radius from the Air Force Base but was still about 4 miles from the local airport and then I called them asked for ATC and let him know where I’d be flying and that I was a hobbyist and he just said stay at or below 400 ft and call us when you are done. Super Simple! I am gonna try calling the Air Force Base and see if I can reach someone just to ask even though they will probably say no.

I would not even bother calling the AFB unless you have a legitimate reason to fly around it.  It will just put you on their radar, which is something you probably dont want.

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=87865
2017-12-6
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Not really its common sense.  If you don't have a legitimate reason to be flying around the military base you shouldn't.  You probably think its ok to fly around an major commercial airport too.  
2017-12-6
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Not really its common sense.  If you don't have a legitimate reason to be flying around the military base you shouldn't.  You probably think its ok to fly around an major commercial airport too.
2017-12-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2017-12-6 12:15

BS applies to the blanket statement "All Military Bases in the United State are a No Fly Zone".   Only 133 facilities are covered by the restriction.   Some air bases are shared military/civilian facilities. As with most airports, there are restricted areas  where no flying is permitted without waiver (if that's even possible)  and there are warning areas where flight is possible with ATC or facility permission.

Anyone flying near any airport  or military facility should check B4UFly to know the specific zone boundaries around the facility and observe the restrictions / approval processes. B4UFly has more accurate and up-to-date informaton than DJI.

OP says he was outside the 5 mile radius of the base - but within some range of a civilian airport.  Chances are that he was not in a Restricted zone, but possibly in a Warning area.
2017-12-6
Use props
fans42c4df55
lvl.1
United States

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2017-12-6 12:12
I would not even bother calling the AFB unless you have a legitimate reason to fly around it.  It will just put you on their radar, which is something you probably dont want.

I never plan on doing anything illegal so being on their radar doesn’t bother me. But before I read all these new comments I called the base and he said you called the right number. I told him where I would be flying (about 4 miles away) and then told him what times I would be flying and he said hold on. Came back and said he passed it up to the ATC. I asked him if I was good to go and he said yes. If I was a mile away I wouldn’t bother but I am on the edge of the 5 miles and my cousin who is a pilot in the Air Force told me they have the same laws as regular airports do and I should call because they may say yes. They did and was able to fly in the field right near where I live rather than driving to try and get out of their air space. From my experience so far just call! Super easy and the people have been way nice and helpful and you can fly with more confidence not worrying you are somewhere you shouldn’t be.  
2017-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules