iPhone X w/case compatibility
2376 11 2017-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7075ff8c
lvl.1
United States

When I got my Osmo Mobile I tried to use it with my brand new iPhone X that was in a very minimal case and it wound not work, or at best only worked for a short time. If I took the case case off it worked fine. This seemed odd becuase I have a REALLY minimal case. My case is a matte black finish. I noticed that there is some sort of sensor window on the arm of the clamb that holds the phone in. So, I put some shinny tape (the back of the naked phone is shinny) black electrician's tape, on the bottom 2 in. so or of the case and that seemed to fix it for me. Does anyone know what that little window/sensor is for? I hope this helps those who have to take their case off of their iPhone X to work. Interestingly, I also have an iPhone 7 Plus with a similar case and that case seems to work fine without modificaiton. Otherwise I have been using it with my iPhone X and really enjoying it.
2017-12-4
Use props
fansa7002e3c
lvl.1
Singapore

I realized the OSMO does not like matt black phones. My phone has a matt black skin and a matt black case, and it would not detect my phone with or without the case.
2017-12-4
Use props
fansa7002e3c
lvl.1
Singapore

I was on the verge of returning it, but I tested it on a gold iphone without case and with a blue case and it worked fine it both situations. I changed the casing of my matt black phone to one with a clear plastic back (which helps reflect the light better), and it worked perfectly!
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fansa7002e3c Posted at 2017-12-4 17:59
I was on the verge of returning it, but I tested it on a gold iphone without case and with a blue case and it worked fine it both situations. I changed the casing of my matt black phone to one with a clear plastic back (which helps reflect the light better), and it worked perfectly!

Hi, sir. Please note that the black color might affect the performance of its sensor. You can go to setting-gimbal and find the phone detection sensor. Turn it off can help this situation. Thanks for your support.
2017-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-4 19:54
Hi, sir. Please note that the black color might affect the performance of its sensor. You can go to setting-gimbal and find the phone detection sensor. Turn it off can help this situation. Thanks for your support.

Thanks for that.
Learning something every day!
2017-12-5
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

There was a video by a fella who had that same problem with an iPhone X WITHOUT a case.  The fix above also worked for him.  His assumption was that it was not the color but rather the shiny surface of the back of that phone.  He taped a white business card over that sensor to get his fix.  So it's interesting to wonder if it's the color black or the "shinyness".  Either way, it's good for folks to know about this method.
2017-12-5
Use props
fans7075ff8c
lvl.1
United States

My first attempt at a fix was to use some aluminum tape (like for home AC ducting) and that worked too.
2017-12-5
Use props
fans7075ff8c
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-4 19:54

Is there a disadvantage to having the "detect phone" turned off?
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans7075ff8c Posted at 2017-12-5 11:11
Is there a disadvantage to having the "detect phone" turned off?

Hi, sir. The color of the back of the phone may stop the sensor detecting the mobile and we would recommend users turn it off to build connection.
2017-12-5
Use props
fans7075ff8c
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-5 20:25
Hi, sir. The color of the back of the phone may stop the sensor detecting the mobile and we would recommend users turn it off to build connection.

Ok, but I would assume the DJI engineers went to the trouble of putting the detect feature in for a reason. Just trying to understand what that reason was. Maybe it is to keep the unit from jerking around if there is no phone on it, I don't know.
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans7075ff8c Posted at 2017-12-6 16:43
Ok, but I would assume the DJI engineers went to the trouble of putting the detect feature in for a reason. Just trying to understand what that reason was. Maybe it is to keep the unit from jerking around if there is no phone on it, I don't know.

Please do not feel worry about it. Hope it can work well for your osmo mobile. Thanks for your cooperation.
2017-12-8
Use props
kale
New

Hong Kong

To have some cases very creative and funny for you iPhone, I highly recommend CASETIDE. They have the coolest iPhone case!

2018-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules