Alternative To DJI Gimbal Lock / Lens Cover
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DNR 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1689478 ft
United States

Good day.

Can anyone suggest or recommend an alternative to the gimbal lock/lens cover that comes stock?

Looking for something that snaps in place a little easier if possible.

Thanks.
2017-12-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi. There are numerous alternate brands available, but typically which only brace the camera and gimbal, but don't connect to the legs. PolarPro do one but it's horrifically expensive for what it is. I bought the same design from PGYTech for half the price. Not that you need to specify which model (either P4 or P4P/P4A) as the lens is a different size between cameras.
Check Amazon.
2017-12-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The DJI OEM gimbal guard/camera lens covers have never been adequate.

Thankfully there are always 3rd party models that are easier to apply, and more secure.

Check Amazon or eBay for the appropriate model of your drones design.

RedHotPoker
2017-12-4
Use props
bostoncarp
lvl.4
United States

Good info, thanks
2017-12-5
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 2_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .
I purchased this one because I use filters that don't fit in the DJI lens cover and gimbal bracket.  It works great and fits perfectly in the original DJI styrafoam case.

Polar Pro DJI Phantom 4 Pro gimbal lock for filters.

Polar Pro DJI Phantom 4 Pro gimbal lock for filters.
2017-12-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I use the typical lens round holder with arm that then engages with gimbal board case. About $2 on eBay ... or get friendly local with 3D printer to knock one up ... Thingiverse is full of them.

BUT - if you ever return your P3 to DJI - NEVER let them see it ... always use the awkward plastic job they supply.

I was told in no uncertain terms that use of such 3rd party item was violation of g'tee and in their view damaged gimbal arms !

Be warned !!

Nigel
2017-12-5
Use props
DNR 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1689478 ft
United States

Sorry, meant to say it is Phantom 4 Advanced. I don't necessarily mind the design of the thing, but the hard plastic where it attaches to the legs seems a bit much. I can see it breaking in the future. If the attachment to the legs part was softer, it would be okay with me.
2017-12-5
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-5 10:51
I purchased this one because I use filters that don't fit in the DJI lens cover and gimbal bracket.  It works great and fits perfectly in the original DJI styrafoam case.

Is the plastic softer, on this one, than the one the DJI ships? I ask because I have replaced my original DJI gimbal clamp and bought a spare because the part that snaps on to the landing gear keeps snapping off. I have had it happen twice now on two different Phantom 4s. I have no issue getting it on...it just breaks when I snap it onto the legs.

I tried the other polar pro that doesn't clap on the legs...it is vertical and it was such a snug fit I was worried I was going to break the gimbal getting it on to the drone...so I sent it back.
2018-12-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sometimes it’s actually advantageous to hold the camera and gimbal, while appyling your gimbal/lens guard.

RedHotPoker
2018-12-7
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-5 10:51
I purchased this one because I use filters that don't fit in the DJI lens cover and gimbal bracket.  It works great and fits perfectly in the original DJI styrafoam case.

That looks very much like the standard DJI bracket ?????
2018-12-25
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Philippines

Manxmann Posted at 12-25 00:54
That looks very much like the standard DJI bracket ?????

Actually, it is a little bit wider than the standard issue.
When I bought additional lenses, the lenses didn't fit on the standard bracket.  This one has a few more millimeters in depth to compensate for the larger lenses.  And it still fits within the DJI P4P case nicely.
2018-12-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have gone through 3 of the Dji ones for my p4p, they snap at the arm connector, so ive bought the polarpro one and straight off you can see that it is a much better plastic and less susceptible to snapping and the fact that you can leave on your ND's is an added bonus, its well worth the extra money cause you wont need to buy another one....
2018-12-28
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Kuya Kano Posted at 12-28 21:25
Actually, it is a little bit wider than the standard issue.
When I bought additional lenses, the lenses didn't fit on the standard bracket.  This one has a few more millimeters in depth to compensate for the larger lenses.  And it still fits within the DJI P4P case nicely.

I see.  So it would solve my situation of having to remove filters after flight & before storage.  Easy enough to do (generally)  but just a bit of a pain in the arse at times.
2018-12-29
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Philippines

Manxmann Posted at 12-29 02:10
I see.  So it would solve my situation of having to remove filters after flight & before storage.  Easy enough to do (generally)  but just a bit of a pain in the arse at times.

Yep.

I've kept the same (I think it's #8 or something) filter on my P4P every time It goes back in the box.  
That extra few mm of space for the lens really made the difference on this, and personally, I think its also built stronger that the one that came with it.  The factory version cracked just months after I bought it.  This one is going a year strong, through snow and tropical weather around the world.
2018-12-29
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

I am on my second "factory" guard.  I bought a replacement plus a spare.  However I think I'll be following your lead ........
Cheers
2018-12-30
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

To hell with the expense !   Have just ordered a couple of the Polar Pro Gimbal guards......  That'll reduce all the filter swapping.
They took a bit of tracking down in Oz.  We do have Amazon here,  but they don't seem to have a huge inventory.  
I Found them at:       https://www.camzilla.com.au/pola ... r-for-phantom-4-pro

2018-12-31
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Good old bay to the rescue ( https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.ht ... bal+guard+Phantom+4) Mind you for the cost of some of the items I reckon I have a small fortune in the kit bag.
2018-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules