Active Track On Osmo
8128 11 2017-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SimonDobbins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204610 ft
United Kingdom

Surely the DJI Osmo x3 should have Active track enabled on the ap.  Purely software based.  It would be great as a indi film maker to have the Osmo Static and follow a subject.  I can see no reason this is not an option.. and if it is where can i get it?

Simon
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. Sorry that osmo does not support active track. And if you want to use this feature, I would recommend you use osmo mobile. Thanks for your support.
2017-12-5
Use props
pixelmixture
lvl.1
France

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-5 20:18
Hi, sir. Sorry that osmo does not support active track. And if you want to use this feature, I would recommend you use osmo mobile. Thanks for your support.

is it a technical limitation ? i would love to have active track on my osmo + ... the tracking is made by the phone if i understand well
2017-12-21
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

pixelmixture Posted at 2017-12-21 14:19
is it a technical limitation ? i would love to have active track on my osmo + ... the tracking is made by the phone if i understand well

It is due to the hardware limitation. It may bring a bad image transmission using active track on osmo. Thanks for your understanding.
2017-12-22
Use props
pixelmixture
lvl.1
France

OK..... i would love it even with poor video quality on the monitor ....
2017-12-22
Use props
pixelmixture
lvl.1
France

tipycaly when we need active track we do not need great video quality on the monitor... if it's doable with the hardware it would be great to enable active track
2017-12-22
Use props
fans83f80a1e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71739 ft
United States

There are some threads from the past that discuss the technical issues.  However, there are 2 third-party solutions that do work:  Vertical Studio and AutoFrame.  Neither works perfectly, but may work well enough for your needs.  The key is having the subject be well lit and have a lot of contrast versus the background.  I don't think Vertical Studio is supported any more, but of the two, I think it works best.
2017-12-27
Use props
Darrenddmp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49390 ft
  • >>>
Jamaica

this such bulls about hardware limitations. zhiyune crane has just added the feature to all there hand held gimbals and your telling me that dji up to now cannot deliver on such a simple feature?!?!?!?
2018-1-17
Use props
fans83f80a1e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71739 ft
United States

Darrenddmp Posted at 2018-1-17 19:17
this such bulls about hardware limitations. zhiyune crane has just added the feature to all there hand held gimbals and your telling me that dji up to now cannot deliver on such a simple feature?!?!?!?

Unfortunately, I don't think people take the time to actually think through what it takes to do active-track on the original Osmo versus the Osmo Mobile or Zhiyume gimbal handles.  I guess it's just easier to complain.

With the Osmo Mobile (or Zhiyume gimbal handles), both the image and the active-track application sit in the phone.  It's an easy enough process for the application (and today's powerful smartphones) to analyze the video images and tell the gimbal where to move to keep the selected object centered.

With the original Osmo, the process is quite different.  While the active-track application would be (or is) sitting on the phone, the video images are sitting in the Osmo camera.  They need to be transmitted via slow wifi to the phone before any analysis and processing can take place.  Once that's done, it needs to send the gimbal the re-centering commands, again via slow wifi.  Unfortunately, the video sent from the Osmo to the phone isn't the full resolution video.  It has been down-sampled to speed up the transfer so the video on the phone looks as real time as possible.  The implication is two-fold:  1) the process is slow, and 2) because the video images that are analyzed have been down-sampled, the centering algorithm will probably not be as accurate.  DJI has chosen not to include active-track functionality in it's software (GO) for the original Osmo not because they didn't try it, but because they decided it did not meet their quality requirements - e.g. it wouldn't work very well and they did not want to deal with all the complaints.

DJI certainly could have built the capability into the camera to analyze and re-center objects had it chosen to, but that would have had to have been a very early decision in the original design.  I might also add that it would have, no doubt, added to the cost of the Osmo (memory, processing hardware, more complex firmware) - probably far beyond the cost of the two software solutions you have access to today to provide active-track.

I'm just amazed at how people complain about spending $10 or $20 to add functionality to a $600 product if that functionality is important to them.  As I said in my previous post, neither of these solutions is perfect, but they do work as long as the centered object does not move too fast and there is enough differentiation (contrast) between the centered object and background.  These two issues are the specific result of the problems I described above regarding the process that is required to do active-track on the original Osmo.  I, for one, am glad DJI made the Osmo an open platform where third-party developers can provide additional functionality if they see a demand for it.

I hope this explanation helps people understand the active-track issue on the original Osmo more fully.
2018-1-19
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

I'm not complaining...

I was well aware of the fact that the Osmo+ didn't have active track. Osmo+ in combination with an Android device also doesn't have livestreaming, DJI says it is not possible because Android doesn't support 2 devices connected by Wi-Fi... this isn't true... it is possible but the DJI engineers have to figure out how to do this (dig deeper in how Android works)...
2018-1-19
Use props
Darrenddmp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49390 ft
  • >>>
Jamaica

fans83f80a1e Posted at 2018-1-19 08:40
Unfortunately, I don't think people take the time to actually think through what it takes to do active-track on the original Osmo versus the Osmo Mobile or Zhiyume gimbal handles.  I guess it's just easier to complain.

With the Osmo Mobile (or Zhiyume gimbal handles), both the image and the active-track application sit in the phone.  It's an easy enough process for the application (and today's powerful smartphones) to analyze the video images and tell the gimbal where to move to keep the selected object centered.

Hi thanks for your detailed reply. appreciate your time in explaining the intricacies of the process. I totally understand that the current process cannot work due to hardware limitations, however  do believe that there are other options to attain the same result.

for eg. instead of using object detection, what about GPS? setting a point of interest on a map and have the camera lock on? i can achieve this using my phantom 3 standard with litchi, there is also a third party app that provides this service for the osmo, which i would be elated to purchase. HOWEVER its apple only and i have an android.
2018-1-30
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I has al to do with money, when there is active track you are not buying a new updated Osmo :-)
2019-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules