US Homeland Security
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Sounds like the US Dept of Homeland Security has allegedly  sent out a memo with some apparently groundless accusations about DJI:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com ... ng-china-spy-on-us/

Personally I not buying it but its a fun read.  (being an IT person I find the website as useful and credible) I am buying that the competition is spreading some bad press about DJI.  

2017-12-5
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

This is the second thread about this subject.
I still think its a pretty serious accusation
2017-12-5
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

2017-12-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

We spy, they spy, everyone spies on each other,  nothing new.
2017-12-5
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-12-5 04:56
We spy, they spy, everyone spies on each other,  nothing new.

Indeed ..
2017-12-5
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

I hope it is not so.
2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

What?....no....really?
2017-12-5
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Second time around, my reply is the same. Nothing like a good bit of paranoia and a slow news day to spring another conspiracy story. What about the 204 Chinese satellites in orbit and of course those they have launched for other countries that unquestionably contain “spy” capabilities? In addition, while we are at it “who killed Kennedy anyway” and did you (the US) really ever land on the moon?

2017-12-5
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

A website calling "bleepingcomputer.com... doesn't sound like a credible source to me.  Very suspicious and I don't click on websites tagged with "enticing" yet fact lacking comments.
2017-12-5
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-5 05:23
Second time around, my reply is the same. Nothing like a good bit of paranoia and a slow news day to spring another conspiracy story. What about the 204 Chinese satellites in orbit and of course those they have launched for other countries that unquestionably contain “spy” capabilities? In addition, while we are at it “who killed Kennedy anyway” and did you (the US) really ever land on the moon?

It's all part off the Alien Government conspiracy, don't you guys know that by now?
They're using our drones so they can locate us and harvest our organs!

Believe it!!! (or don't)

Believe it!!!  (or don't)
2017-12-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Who said "Trump" ?
C'mon guys there are two centres of possibly the worlds biggest electronics eavesdropping ever ...

USA ***** and GCHQ in UK ............

Wake up !!

Nigel
2017-12-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i blame brexit....
2017-12-5
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

2017-12-5
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

Sure....everybody blames the cabbages!
2017-12-5
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

yea everybody spies ,thats nothing new.maybethey should worry about all the spy satelites in orbt.so we might be run off the field if we fly dji.
2017-12-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-5 10:21
A website calling "bleepingcomputer.com... doesn't sound like a credible source to me.  Very suspicious and I don't click on websites tagged with "enticing" yet fact lacking comments.

FYI Bleepingcomputer is a respected and credible source for tech related stuff.
But if you want an alternative you can check the original reporting from the NY Times:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/ ... na-data-drones.html

This story has been widely reported but that doesn't make the Homeland Security assessment any less fanciful.
2017-12-5
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-5 16:05
FYI Bleepingcomputer is a respected and credible source for tech related stuff.
But if you want an alternative you can check the original reporting from the NY Times:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/technology/dji-china-data-drones.html

Honestly, I don't believe any of them ever since the day a british reporter stood in front of tower seven saying that it collapsed.  Saddam has WMDs, The U.S. economy is improving, Seal team six killed Bin Ladin, and aliens are in control of the world's government for giving us iPhone technology.

No thanks, I'll stick to the world that I live an and let the gossip and propaganda machine mess with other people's minds.
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. Our designated department is taking care of it. Thanks for your attention.
2017-12-6
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

It's not DJI, it's the Very Evil Dr. Fu Manchu!  Just ask Sir Denis Nayland Smith or Dr. Petrie...
2017-12-6
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

BTW, this is much scarier...  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com ... e-of-modern-device/
2017-12-6
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

If that goes through, then Apple wont be selling too many iPhones in Germany.  I wonder how many other devices they will outlaw.  
2017-12-6
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-5 10:21

Don't let the name fool you, Bleeping computer is an excellent resource for IT people.  Especially in the war against hackers.
2017-12-6
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-12-6 01:48
BTW, this is much scarier...  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/germany-preparing-law-for-backdoors-in-any-type-of-modern-device/

Scary indeed.
2017-12-6
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2017-12-6 04:15
If that goes through, then Apple wont be selling too many iPhones in Germany.  I wonder how many other devices they will outlaw.

If they continue to try and add backdoors, we will follow the lead as on anti-lock brakes,(stronger legs), bullet proof,(bigger bullets), and any other "challenge" to sovereignty of the mind.
2017-12-6
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2017-12-6 04:23
Don't let the name fool you, Bleeping computer is an excellent resource for IT people.  Especially in the war against hackers.

Thank you.  I'm not an I.T.  
But as many fake "news" websites there are out there parroting false information, the odds now a days falls more towards the likeliness that it is fake, exaggerated, or of incorrect data.  
2017-12-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-6 13:24
Thank you.  I'm not an I.T.  
But as many fake "news" websites there are out there parroting false information, the odds now a days falls more towards the likeliness that it is fake, exaggerated, or of incorrect data.

You've got a really distorted view of news media.

There doesn't appear to be any problem with the reporting of this story from lots of sites
It's just that the ideas from Homeland Security appear to be questionable.

2017-12-6
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Apparently one of our leading supermarkets has an 11,000 word compliance requirement for bananas. Pretty much sums it up I'd say.
2017-12-6
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-12-6 01:48
BTW, this is much scarier...  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/germany-preparing-law-for-backdoors-in-any-type-of-modern-device/

Thomas de Maizière Is the idiot that told the public in a tv interview that he didn’t want to tell them (the public) about a particular terrorist action - because he felt that “they might be to afraid to hear about it.” He wants to store data from all whats app and email transmissions and be able to turn off private computers and the internet on demand, of course all for the good of the already scared public. The man would have made a major team player in Germany 80 years ago. Sadly he will go the same way as the rest, he will be replaced by another incompetent.
2017-12-6
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-6 15:53
You've got a really distorted view of news media.

There doesn't appear to be any problem with the reporting of this story from lots of sites

No, not a distorted view, FIRST HAND view.

I am both a disabled veteran and worked for a homicide detective in Orange County for seven years.  I've seen takedowns, often done by questionable legality, and then hear a total work of fiction on the news about it on the news late that night.  You'd be surprised how many times people have been shot at theme parks, or small bombs recovered and detonated.  

I've lived in the real world long enough to know it is in a different class from what you see on television.  As for this website, I apologies for offending people by questioning if it is legit.
2017-12-6
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-6 16:53
No, not a distorted view, FIRST HAND view.

I am both a disabled veteran and worked for a homicide detective in Orange County for seven years.  I've seen takedowns, often done by questionable legality, and then hear a total work of fiction on the news about it on the news late that night.  You'd be surprised how many times people have been shot at theme parks, or small bombs recovered and detonated.  

Not offended and in concurrence more than you think.  The news (I think you are referring to) is what I call the "talking heads".  Typically they run off half cocked, half baked and half witted...(hehehe I made myself laugh)  I personally cant watch the news on TV.  Bleeping computer is in an entirely different universe.   
2017-12-14
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Finally, it is clear what those strange fly offs are. It is when DJI gets a sniff of “a sensitive government or privately owned entity ……………………….. to collect and exploit sensitive U.S. data." They secretly take over the drone and fly it using special trained spy drone pilots operating from China. It would also appear that some people believe this. Or maybe it is even worse? Maybe every Chinese restaurant is networked and their basements full of illegal immigrants secretly working for DJI, to collect and sort the vast amounts of filmed material, sort it, register it, classify and file it and send it on direct to ……….. wait a minute…… who the hell would pay for all this?

Excuse me, what about all the satellites out there and what about google, they have been making and collecting photos for years now. I have almost better detail of my neighbors’ garden from Google Earth than my drone would ever get. The Google Earth satellite picture of my house shows what car I own, it is sitting in the driveway, I would hate to think of the Finance and tax department checking out Google.

Such a paranoia, an obsession with the worst scenario and the doomsday syndrome. It is indeed wise to be careful, to analyze and check things out, but this sort of blank, denunciation without evidence is a sickness and is not at all healthy.  

2017-12-14
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-14 09:11
Finally, it is clear what those strange fly offs are. It is when DJI gets a sniff of “a sensitive government or privately owned entity ……………………….. to collect and exploit sensitive U.S. data." They secretly take over the drone and fly it using special trained spy drone pilots operating from China. It would also appear that some people believe this. Or maybe it is even worse? Maybe every Chinese restaurant is networked and their basements full of illegal immigrants secretly working for DJI, to collect and sort the vast amounts of filmed material, sort it, register it, classify and file it and send it on direct to ……….. wait a minute…… who the hell would pay for all this?  
Excuse me, what about all the satellites out there and what about google, they have been making and collecting photos for years now. I have almost better detail of my neighbors’ garden from Google Earth than my drone would ever get. The Google Earth satellite picture of my house shows what car I own, it is sitting in the driveway, I would hate to think of the Finance and tax department checking out Google.   Such a paranoia, an obsession with the worst scenario and the doomsday syndrome. It is indeed wise to be careful, to analyze and check things out, but this sort of blank, denunciation without evidence is a sickness and is not at all healthy.

Heres another one for ya.  (as long as we're on the subject)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/goo ... tents-track-listen/
2017-12-14
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Anokadrone Posted at 2017-12-14 10:12
Heres another one for ya.  (as long as we're on the subject)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/google-home-amazon-echo-patents-track-listen/

It sounds at least a little more plausible.
2017-12-14
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2017-12-14 08:22
Not offended and in concurrence more than you think.  The news (I think you are referring to) is what I call the "talking heads".  Typically they run off half cocked, half baked and half witted...(hehehe I made myself laugh)  I personally cant watch the news on TV.  Bleeping computer is in an entirely different universe.

I'm with you there.  Honestly speaking in years, I can't recall the last time I've ever sat in front of a television news "show" and used my brain as a garbage can.  Anyways, I did make it through Detroit Metro Airport without a question about the P4P.  We're on our way.  Wow... look at all that snow down there!
2017-12-14
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-14 09:11
Finally, it is clear what those strange fly offs are. It is when DJI gets a sniff of “a sensitive government or privately owned entity ……………………….. to collect and exploit sensitive U.S. data." They secretly take over the drone and fly it using special trained spy drone pilots operating from China. It would also appear that some people believe this. Or maybe it is even worse? Maybe every Chinese restaurant is networked and their basements full of illegal immigrants secretly working for DJI, to collect and sort the vast amounts of filmed material, sort it, register it, classify and file it and send it on direct to ……….. wait a minute…… who the hell would pay for all this?  
Excuse me, what about all the satellites out there and what about google, they have been making and collecting photos for years now. I have almost better detail of my neighbors’ garden from Google Earth than my drone would ever get. The Google Earth satellite picture of my house shows what car I own, it is sitting in the driveway, I would hate to think of the Finance and tax department checking out Google.   Such a paranoia, an obsession with the worst scenario and the doomsday syndrome. It is indeed wise to be careful, to analyze and check things out, but this sort of blank, denunciation without evidence is a sickness and is not at all healthy.

Don't forget Google's Street View...
2017-12-16
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-12-16 04:45
Don't forget Google's Street View...

Ahhh.... they're everywhere
2017-12-22
Use props