Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic and aurora/northern lights
7211 8 2017-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Relel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 713117 ft
Sweden

Hi guys!
Since I live in Sweden, I have great conditions for northern lights. I have done my share of timelapses and photos of it with my Canon, but now I wonder:

-How well can I photo norhtern lights with my Mavic Pro? I have tried night photo with moonlight and it turned out great, but I havent had any chance for northern lights.

Anyone with thoughs or experience?
2017-12-5
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

I think it's a HUGE difference in the quality that you get with your Canon (don't know which one you have) I would guess that it will be really noisy with the MP. How ever I don't think that matters so much since it's "dark" and you want to show the light from the plasma.

It's only one way to find out, pls share your results. This is how a video could look (not mine)

Happy flying
2017-12-5
Use props
Relel
lvl.1
Sweden

Flybee Posted at 2017-12-5 06:58
I think it's a HUGE difference in the quality that you get with your Canon (don't know which one you have) I would guess that it will be really noisy with the MP. How ever I don't think that matters so much since it's "dark" and you want to show the light from the plasma.

It's only one way to find out, pls share your results. This is how a video could look (not mine)

Yeah I agree, the quality will be a deal breaker.
ATM I use Canon 6D with sigma 20mm/1.4, which means the same lens as in the video.
Even the 6D can barerly catch the aurora on film, so it wont work with the Mavic.

I will indeed try to catch it on photo and share the results. Moon disapperars in about 2 weeks so lets hope for good weather and a lot of solar bursts!
2017-12-5
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Sweden

Relel Posted at 2017-12-5 07:14
Yeah I agree, the quality will be a deal breaker.
ATM I use Canon 6D with sigma 20mm/1.4, which means the same lens as in the video.
Even the 6D can barerly catch the aurora on film, so it wont work with the Mavic.

Ok, same camera as my self
I have not tried the film mode on the Canon.

But if you look at some other videos from night/evenings (made by Mavic) it might work.
Just give it a shot.

Are you in the northern parts of Sweden or?
The moon was amazing on sunday
2017-12-5
Use props
Relel
lvl.1
Sweden

Flybee Posted at 2017-12-5 09:46
Ok, same camera as my self
I have not tried the film mode on the Canon.

Cool, It's a great camera for astro photo and auroras.
I've tried some videos but they did not turn out great.

Not in the northern, more like middle, my base camp is in Dalarna And you?
2017-12-5
Use props
Never fly faste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3044747 ft
Netherlands

Wow....thanks for the video....just fantastic
2017-12-6
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Sweden

Relel Posted at 2017-12-5 23:10
Cool, It's a great camera for astro photo and auroras.
I've tried some videos but they did not turn out great.

Im moving between Norrbotten and Västernorrland
2017-12-6
Use props
JoiCam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 771434 ft
Iceland

I think it's a HUGE difference in the quality that you get with your Canon (don't know which one you have) I would guess that it will be really noisy with the MP. How ever I don't think that matters so much since it's "dark" and you want to show the light from the plasma.

It's only one way to find out, pls share your results. This is how a video could look (not mine)

This was shot on Sony A7s2 witch has a bit better sensor for this kind of stuff.
2021-1-6
Use props
mark117h
lvl.4
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

I think it's a HUGE difference in the quality that you get with your Canon (don't know which one you have) I would guess that it will be really noisy with the MP. How ever I don't think that matters so much since it's "dark" and you want to show the light from the plasma.

It's only one way to find out, pls share your results. This is how a video could look (not mine)

Awesome Video, such beautiful scenery along with the northern light's.
2021-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules