Can I fly on an airplane with my Mavic Pro? If so, what do I need?
14471 18 2017-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
benjaminself
lvl.1
United States

Hello,
In early January, I am traveling to Colorado for a ski trip. I want to bring my Mavic Pro along with me on the airplane. Since the TSA is strict with batterys exc, is it ok if I bring my mavic pro with its battery inserted and with the charge cables in a bag on carry on? Will the TSA just do the same procedures on it like what they do with laptops? I checked with American Airlines and they said that they welcome drones with a 100wh battery or less. I dont want to go to the airport and the TSA says I can't bring my mavic pro into the airport. Thank you
2017-12-5
Use props
gadio4533
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1722 ft
United States

I just returned from Denver with my Mavic. Flew Frontier with no problem.  They never even asked me to open my carry back pack with all Mavic supplies.  Did use Lipo safety bag for the 2 extra batteries with one in the Mavic.  Flew Delta the same way with no issues either.
2017-12-5
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would recommend using LiPo safe Battery Bags... DJI actually offers some at: https://store.dji.com/product/dji-battery-safe-bag
2017-12-5
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly a lot, domestic and international - and use lipo bags for my own peace of mind.  Zero problems, but we are sometimes asked for a bag check by TSA or the equivalent. One of the agents at a small Caribbean airport thought it was really cool and was asking me tons of questions about it -- so many in fact that when he finally (and reluctantly) packed it all back up, they had already called for the flight.   Luckily, it's a small airport where they know me, so everyone was standing out on the tarmac while the gate agent held the flight for me.  No stress for me, as all were super nice, but be prepared for some conversation and enjoy!  
2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should be good to go with those Lipo bags and tape the terminals up.
2017-12-5
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

I've flown on commercial flights with my Mavic Pro a few times (through/to/from Denver, Oakland, Tulsa... maybe SFO) and I've never run into any issues. The LiPo batteries must be in your carry-on luggage, but you could check your Mavic (without a battery), though I carry on my Mavic as well.
2017-12-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Travel with mine a few times as well no problems.
2017-12-5
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

If you want to fly Mavic on airplane please switch to ATTI mode so you don't rely on GPS inside metal structure, and please be careful around other passengers especially women and children!
2017-12-5
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-5 14:48
You should be good to go with those Lipo bags and tape the terminals up.

Dear M.C. Pilot,

What kind of tape do you use?
Thanks!
2017-12-6
Use props
Colin G4GBP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42533 ft
United Kingdom

I fly with my Mavic and have not had problems.
1 Download and print your Airline's policy on the carrying of Lipos with the batteries taped up** - the Mavic's three batteries fall within most airline's maximum of 160W. I have definitely needed this one on a recent flight out of Italy, they were going to confiscate until I produced the policy document, then it was all smiles.
2 Place ALL three batteries in a Liposafe bag in Carry-On luggage along with the controller - it has a Lipo in it too.
3 Download and print your Invoice for you Mavic - this can help with getting back into your own country without having to pay duty again.
In addition I always have bookmarks on my iPad for the country (you are visiting)s drone code. Countries are often different.
PS Don't try to take your drone to Morocco! I am sure there are others too.
Other than that, ENJOY!

** I bought a set of these £3.04 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frame ... 2057872.m2749.l2649

Well worth it!
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, I myself always took my drone to the airplane with no issue, and I also found many users experienced the same to take the drone to the aeroplane. but since there might have different policies to the battery with different airline companies, you can try to contact the relevant airline to consult the related policy. Thank you.
2017-12-6
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-12-6 01:25
Dear M.C. Pilot,

What kind of tape do you use?

Masking tape is fine to just cover up the terminals.
2017-12-6
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Colin G4GBP Posted at 2017-12-6 01:41
I fly with my Mavic and have not had problems.
1 Download and print your Airline's policy on the carrying of Lipos with the batteries taped up** - the Mavic's three batteries fall within most airline's maximum of 160W. I have definitely needed this one on a recent flight out of Italy, they were going to confiscate until I produced the policy document, then it was all smiles.
2 Place ALL three batteries in a Liposafe bag in Carry-On luggage along with the controller - it has a Lipo in it too.

Good suggestions there.
2017-12-6
Use props
blshaw45
lvl.2
Flight distance : 287228 ft
United States

Like so many others, I have had no problems. Recently flew from US to England, then to Dublin and then home. Five flights, total, and two airlines (United and Aer Lingus). Never a hint of an issue. But just in case, I carried paper copies of the airline's and the FAA's policies. Regarding LiPo bags for the batteries: absolutely.
2017-12-6
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-6 05:17

Thank you very much!
2017-12-6
Use props
benjaminself
lvl.1
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-6 05:17

Terminals of the airport or what?
2017-12-7
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

benjaminself Posted at 2017-12-7 10:34
Terminals of the airport or what?

battery terminals...until you get into the terminals of the airport.
2017-12-7
Use props
FlyingAround
lvl.1

Italy

blshaw45 Posted at 2017-12-6 05:50
Like so many others, I have had no problems. Recently flew from US to England, then to Dublin and then home. Five flights, total, and two airlines (United and Aer Lingus). Never a hint of an issue. But just in case, I carried paper copies of the airline's and the FAA's policies. Regarding LiPo bags for the batteries: absolutely.

Same here, I've never had any problems when flying with a drone (American Airlines, JetBlue) but it all depends on the airline and the country you're visiting or connecting through. (Emirates, for instance, doesn't appear to allow drones in the cabin baggage...)

Anyway, here is a good guide to most airlines regulations including the TSA battery requirements https://www.crabintheair.com/tra ... a-drone-on-a-plane/
2017-12-11
Use props
Elenita Gipitulan Thomas
New

Australia

Can I  bring with me my MAVIC 2 PRO? , I'm planning to go to the Phil's in a few months. I am taking 3batteries for it. I just do not want hassle in the airport security.  Please advice me what to do.
2019-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules