OTG Cable Not connecting
12Next >
5474 68 2017-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_gmJkOag
New
United Kingdom

Ok so im pretty new to the DJI SPARK and ive tried this OTG cable trick that is supposed to boost your connection, however when i connect the OTG to the controller and turn off the wifi it says its still connected and has found my device but it doesnt connect to the satellites or doesnt show any of the battery percentage and im worried that it wont function properly when i fly it.
Does anyone have any information on how to make it display the information. Im using the samsung S6 and its fully updated and so is the firmware on the DJI GO 4 app.
2017-12-5
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I had some problems with otg and Samsung s5 mean couldn't connect at all.  Surprisingly wifi connection was nice and stable. Updates ? Maybe, normally using Ipad with OTG.
2017-12-5
Use props
djiuser_uEB4TTR
lvl.1
United States

I'm having the same problem with Android on a Nexus6 P.  I can connect via OTG but I don't get any telemetry data (altitude, battery, etc) but can still take off an fly, however I don't have the automatic land function.  
2017-12-5
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

djiuser_uEB4TTR Posted at 2017-12-5 15:21
I'm having the same problem with Android on a Nexus6 P.  I can connect via OTG but I don't get any telemetry data (altitude, battery, etc) but can still take off an fly, however I don't have the automatic land function.

I just had my Spark repaired (my fault) and at the same time DJI-Go4 updated to Android version 18 (Galaxy S5 phone). I can connect to the RC wirelessly, but the video lag is so severe it's impossible to fly via the video. By lag, I mean 3 to 4 seconds after initiating a turn the display will start to pan. I had this problem with my original Spark and found that by using the OTG cable the lag was entirely eliminated. So I tried the cable and I can fly the drone just fine without any lag, but all the telemetry data is missing. I suspect that the issue might be with the update to DJI Go 4 and I would like to go back to version 15 and try it out. Can someone tell me how to get the APK for Android version 15?

PS - I know that DJI doesn't support using the OTG, get rid of the terrible lag and I'll be happy to get rid of the OTG cable.
2017-12-5
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

Sliderul Posted at 2017-12-5 15:35
I just had my Spark repaired (my fault) and at the same time DJI-Go4 updated to Android version 18 (Galaxy S5 phone). I can connect to the RC wirelessly, but the video lag is so severe it's impossible to fly via the video. By lag, I mean 3 to 4 seconds after initiating a turn the display will start to pan. I had this problem with my original Spark and found that by using the OTG cable the lag was entirely eliminated. So I tried the cable and I can fly the drone just fine without any lag, but all the telemetry data is missing. I suspect that the issue might be with the update to DJI Go 4 and I would like to go back to version 15 and try it out. Can someone tell me how to get the APK for Android version 15?

PS - I know that DJI doesn't support using the OTG, get rid of the terrible lag and I'll be happy to get rid of the OTG cable.

I found version 15 of DJI GO 4 and it completely resolved my issue with the OTG cable. I should have looked further into the forum before posting because it's obvious this issue has been well documented and there's hope that DJI will eventually support OTG connection.
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

djiuser_uEB4TTR Posted at 2017-12-5 15:21

Hi, sir. I would recommend you use wifi connection instead. OTG cable is not supported now. Thanks for your support.
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. Any problem when you connect your spark with wifi instead? Please note that OTG cable is not supported now.
2017-12-5
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Go to 4.1.15, there are issues on height , I lost my spark almost in 4.1.18(wifi)
2017-12-5
Use props
djiuser_gmJkOag
New
United Kingdom

Is the 4.1.15 still safe to use
2017-12-5
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Netherlands

yes, https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=120380
see issues on 4.1.18
Question to DJI Elektra, are the working on a sollution for this issue's?
2017-12-5
Use props
djiuser_gmJkOag
New
United Kingdom

Ok thank you, can someone explain to me why dji decided to disable the OTG feature from the spark
2017-12-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
France

djiuser_gmJkOag Posted at 2017-12-5 23:26
Ok thank you, can someone explain to me why dji decided to disable the OTG feature from the spark

There was no such decision, it's a bug in the current app version that hopefully will soon be fixed. Official position of DJI was summarised this morning once again in another thread of this forum:
Statement DJI OTG 061217.JPG
2017-12-6
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-5 23:17
Hi, sir. Any problem when you connect your spark with wifi instead? Please note that OTG cable is not supported now.

Why isnt the OTG supported?
2017-12-6
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mariuss Posted at 2017-12-6 05:03

DJI says it wasn't tested but they cannot block it because I using DJI goggles with Spark. Only way to connect spark and dji goggles is OTG.
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Mariuss Posted at 2017-12-6 05:03

Please note that our engineers are working on that. Please wait patiently and use wifi connection instead.
2017-12-8
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26 ft
United States

Have to use OTG, video delay 5 or more seconds with WIFI. Spark NOT useable without OTG.
2017-12-8
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-8 02:26
Please note that our engineers are working on that. Please wait patiently and use wifi connection instead.

Nice Thanks for reply!
2017-12-9
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Ardenno Posted at 2017-12-6 14:01
DJI says it wasn't tested but they cannot block it because I using DJI goggles with Spark. Only way to connect spark and dji goggles is OTG.

What FW on app, ctr and spark are you on ? And what OTG cable are you using?

Cant understand why they didnt enable this right away...
2017-12-9
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-6 03:57
There was no such decision, it's a bug in the current app version that hopefully will soon be fixed. Official position of DJI was summarised this morning once again in another thread of this forum:

"it's a bug in the current app version"

This is news! Can you show me the correspondence from DJI which confirms that it is a bug please?   It will be important information as it will prove that it was unintentional.

To leave a known bug in a live App for this long would be astonishingly poor form.
2017-12-10
Use props
djiuser_mxp7X0b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5272 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-8 02:26

The spark has been effectively unusable since the update, as wifi functionality is, as you know,  widely reported to be seriously poor with Android devices. Personally I have been unable to fly the spark with confidence since the first few flights a week or so , as I only had OTG functionality for a few days before the FW update. Can you shed some light as to why there are such issues with Android compatibility and when we should expect an update? An official response I realise we are not going to get. Not impressed with my first foray into the world of DJI so far
2017-12-10
Use props
djiuser_mxp7X0b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-6 03:57

Can you substantiate this claim? Are you a DJI affiliate?
2017-12-10
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13346 ft
France

"The spark has been effectively unusable since the update, as wifi functionality is, as you know,  widely reported to be seriously poor with Android devices. "

I am little confused (no surprise there!). The Android wifi connection is only between the 'phone and the RC isn't it? This is only a distance of a few cms. Surely strength of signal shouldn't be a problem?

That leave interference. If the interference is caused by outside unknown sources, can we not put a Faraday cage of some description around the controller to test this, with just an opening pointing towards the AC to control it.

If that does not cure the problem then the Spark RC must be interfering with the phone in which case only DJI can (or should) solve it. An OTG cable would simply avoid the issue (which is OK by me) but does not cure the problem.
2017-12-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

djiuser_mxp7X0b Posted at 2017-12-10 22:16
Can you substantiate this claim? Are you a DJI affiliate?

If you read all the other threads related to this issue you will find it. And no, I am not a DJI affiliate. I only read the forum ;-)
2017-12-11
Use props
djiuser_mxp7X0b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-11 02:11
If you read all the other threads related to this issue you will find it. And no, I am not a DJI affiliate. I only read the forum ;-)

I'm a noob and not the best at forum navigation, I can't find anywhere an announcement that this is a 'bug'. Can you direct me please?  
2017-12-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

djiuser_mxp7X0b Posted at 2017-12-11 03:05
I'm a noob and not the best at forum navigation, I can't find anywhere an announcement that this is a 'bug'. Can you direct me please?

I am sorry, but there are 20-30 separate threads on this topic with a multitude of posts. It would take me hours to find it again. And to be honest it is not that important either. It has been pointed out by many users already that all works well with App version 4.1.15 (which is the previous one). In the DJI statements here above it is clearly stated that they are working on making the use of OTG cable officially supported (which it was not until now). Thus if you wish to fly your Spark happily with OTG connection, simply use the previous App version like I and most others (who want OTG) do and wait for the next (and hopefully fixed) version of DJI GO 4.
2017-12-11
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Netherlands

Mildman Posted at 2017-12-10 09:16
"it's a bug in the current app version"

This is news! Can you show me the correspondence from DJI which confirms that it is a bug please?   It will be important information as it will prove that it was unintentional.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=120380
2017-12-11
Use props
djiuser_mxp7X0b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-11 03:15
I am sorry, but there are 20-30 seperate threads on this topic with a multitude of posts. It would take me hours to find it again. And to be honest it is not that important either. It has been pointed out by many users already that all works well with App version 4.1.15 (which is the previous one). In the DJI statements here above it is clearly stated that they are working on making the use of OTG cable officially supported (which it was not until now). Thus if you wish to fly your Spark happily with OTG connection, simply use the previous App version like I and most others (who want OTG) do and wait for the next (and hopefully fixed) version of DJI GO 4.

Can you do this other than on the pc program do you know?
2017-12-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Jos A Posted at 2017-12-11 04:18
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=120380

Thank you Jos!
2017-12-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

djiuser_mxp7X0b Posted at 2017-12-11 04:54
Can you do this other than on the pc program do you know?

I am not sure to understand your question. What do you mean by "pc program"? Kindly clarify and I'll be happy to help.
2017-12-11
Use props
djiuser_mxp7X0b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-11 05:19
I am not sure to understand your question. What do you mean by "pc program"? Kindly clarify and I'll be happy to help.

Sorry I mean 'assistant 2', my laptop is broken and don't have secure access to a pc til the weekend. Can I do it with my phone?
2017-12-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

djiuser_mxp7X0b Posted at 2017-12-11 05:38
Sorry I mean 'assistant 2', my laptop is broken and don't have secure access to a pc til the weekend. Can I do it with my phone?

Do what? Install the previous App version? Yes of course (actually you can't do it with DJI Assistant). Just uninstall the current version .18 from your phone (best clear all data and cache before), download the version .15 onto your phone from APK Mirror and install the APK file. It's very easy.
2017-12-11
Use props
massipos
lvl.2

Italy

Hi to all. Here is my experience: I'm in CE area and when connect device ad RC, with wifi connection, i can't fly far over 80 meters or i lost video connection and telemetry. Only if i use OTG cable connection i can fly over 250 meters and all system working great and no kind of lag.
2017-12-11
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-11 03:15
I am sorry, but there are 20-30 separate threads on this topic with a multitude of posts. It would take me hours to find it again. And to be honest it is not that important either. It has been pointed out by many users already that all works well with App version 4.1.15 (which is the previous one). In the DJI statements here above it is clearly stated that they are working on making the use of OTG cable officially supported (which it was not until now). Thus if you wish to fly your Spark happily with OTG connection, simply use the previous App version like I and most others (who want OTG) do and wait for the next (and hopefully fixed) version of DJI GO 4.

And to be honest it is not that important either

It's actually the most important part of this subject.   You have implied that the OTG issues with 4.1.18 are a bug...and if it is, that tells us categorically that DJI have not removed it deliberately....bearing in mind they have been non-committal so far (as far as I've read and as DJI correspondence to me has shown), this represents a change to their other messaging on this topic.  
It would be hugely helpful to know what the source of that 'bug' story, as for some people, including me, it would be a deciding factor on whether we keep our sparks or not.

So, have you got the word from DJI that it's a bug, or have you used the 'bug' word loosely and you don't know any more that anyone else does?
2017-12-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Mildman Posted at 2017-12-11 06:46
And to be honest it is not that important either

It's actually the most important part of this subject.   You have implied that the OTG issues with 4.1.18 are a bug...and if it is, that tells us categorically that DJI have not removed it deliberately....bearing in mind they have been non-committal so far (as far as I've read and as DJI correspondence to me has shown), this represents a change to their other messaging on this topic.  

Dear Mildman, it really helps to read the posts of others too, sorry for this remark but it was necessary. Please look at post 26# here above from this afternoon. It provides you the link to the statement.
And I meanwhile regret to have used the word "bug" in my post. Because stricly speaking it has been a bug that OTG has worked before. We were rightfully happy about it, but it had never been promised to us by DJI until now. Meanwhile we have had the official statements from DJI that it will soon be officially supported. This is good news indeed and normally should bring this time wasting debate to an end. So what in heaven do you want more?
When you have bought your Spark, OTG was officially not part of the deal, it just happened to work. If you now consider selling your Spark because a feature that had never been promised to you temporarily does not work in one single app version it is your choice and freedom to do so. But please don't expect me to understand it.
2017-12-11
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-11 07:41
Dear Mildman, it really helps to read the posts of others too, sorry for this remark but it was necessary. Please look at post 26# here above from this afternoon. It provides you the link to the statement.
And I meanwhile regret to have used the word "bug" in my post. Because stricly speaking it has been a bug that OTG has worked before. We were rightfully happy about it, but it had never been promised to us by DJI until now. Meanwhile we have had the official statements from DJI that it will soon be officially supported. This is good news indeed and normally should bring this time wasting debate to an end. So what in heaven do you want more?
When you have bought your Spark, OTG was officially not part of the deal, it just happened to work. If you now consider selling your Spark because a feature that had never been promised to you temporarily does not work in one single app version it is your choice and freedom to do so. But please don't expect me to understand it.

I singled out your use of the word bug you as you have persistently tried to shut down any ranting and anger about this important issue with your personal intepretation of what DJI are telling you (us).

Facts are, we are a month into this shambles of an App release and we're still getting fluffy DJI responses.  
Why are you cutting them so much slack?  They're performance is appalling!

"What in heaven do you want more?"    Glad you asked.  I want my Spark to do exactly what it says on the box, with or without an OTG and with the latest supported firmware.
'We're working on it" doesn't cut it for me.
2017-12-11
Use props
djiuser_mxp7X0b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-11 05:44
Do what? Install the previous App version? Yes of course (actually you can't do it with DJI Assistant). Just uninstall the current version .18 from your phone (best clear all data and cache before), download the version .15 onto your phone from APK Mirror and install the APK file. It's very easy.

Thanks for the help dude!
2017-12-11
Use props
Laszl0
lvl.1
Poland

Sliderul Posted at 2017-12-5 18:24
I found version 15 of DJI GO 4 and it completely resolved my issue with the OTG cable. I should have looked further into the forum before posting because it's obvious this issue has been well documented and there's hope that DJI will eventually support OTG connection.

Hello.
Can you possibly tell me, where did you get working 4.1.15 version of DJI GO 4?
2017-12-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Mildman Posted at 2017-12-11 10:02
I singled out your use of the word bug you as you have persistently tried to shut down any ranting and anger about this important issue with your personal intepretation of what DJI are telling you (us).

Facts are, we are a month into this shambles of an App release and we're still getting fluffy DJI responses.  

Ok, I have at least tried to remain friendly. One of your great friends out here has qualified me being a "rabid fanboy". Therefore I recommend you to just stick with his (more than limited) horizon and to please ignore any posts of mine in the future. But should you need some assistance in the future I'll be happy to help you if I can.
2017-12-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Laszl0 Posted at 2017-12-11 11:24
Hello.
Can you possibly tell me, where did you get working 4.1.15 version of DJI GO 4?

Yes, for one more time among hundreds of posts in this forum ;-): https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... -release/#downloads
Don't click on the green download button, but look below. There are two versions, one for tablets, one for smartphones. You have to find out yourself which is the right one for you.
2017-12-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

You are welcome!
2017-12-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now