DJI S1000+ build advice / help
3896 13 2015-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gsxr1paul
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi all,

I've recently received my S1000+ with A2 / Lightbridge / Z15 GH4 gimbal and was after some help.

I've built and connected everything according to DJI instructions but I just need to know what's the next step? So the S1000 is built, A2 is connected along with the Light bridge and gimbal. So, do I know use the lightbridge assistant software or the A2 assistant software?

Any help is greatly received!

Thanks,
Paul

2015-4-15
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you flown anything like a 1000 before?
2015-4-15
Use props
smee56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Australia

Still a little bit more to go before you can fly.

Here are my settings for the same setup - http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en

First thing that you have to do is setup the channels on your transmitter.
Next is assign the channels in the LB software.
Then, assign and check channels in the A2 software.
After that you should be close to flying.
2015-4-15
Use props
gsxr1paul
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi smee56,

Thank you for posting that thread with your settings! The only difference between out setups is that I'm using 2 x Taranis X9D transmitters...should hopefully be straight forward enough?

Once I get back from holiday I'm going to crack on with getting it all setup.

Cheers,
Paul
2015-4-16
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I was only asking because if you havent flown anything that big you might want to fly around without the gimbal and camera first. I would go ahead and set up the LightBridge, do some bench testing to make sure everything works, fly around a bit until you get use to the handling then add the gimbal and camera. You'll notice the weight difference. The biggest tip I can give you is once its fully loaded do not be gentle on takeoff...another words pop it off the ground to get out of ground effect then throttle as necessary. Another tip is once you have everything working on the bench, do a live runup with the throttles, not enough to take off, and check your controls...sometimes the controls are reversed in the assistant...during run up make sure forward is forward, back is back etc...if not go back into the assistant and check or uncheck the REV box for that control. I've seen several guys tip over because forward was actually backward..Hope that helps.
Cheers
Dennis
2015-4-16
Use props
dylan
lvl.1
United States

Definitely fly with barebones a while first no need to increase the risk of damage.

Carefully follow the checklist in the manual - pay particular attention to testing the controls and orientation (while connected to s1000 with USB, with controller connected, push up on the throttle and see in the software that it also goes up). The reason I mention this is that mine (purchased used) was reversed and could have been a disaster.

You'll want to test all the modes and get comfortable flying both attitude and GPS mode and be ready to switch between the two instantly in case of emergency (i.e. you're in GPS mode and it suddenly drifts wildly towards a tree - need to be ready to counteract or possibly switch quickly to Attitude and correct). Just a few things I've run into!
2015-4-28
Use props
gsxr1paul
lvl.1

United Kingdom

dylan@dylangloc Posted at 2015-4-29 05:28
Definitely fly with barebones a while first no need to increase the risk of damage.

Carefully foll ...

Thanks for the heads up! I've just got back from holiday so I will be setting it up this weekend.

Regarding the transmitters (pilot / camera operator) Do you have the internal RF and External RF both set to off? In the manual (FrSky Taranis plus X9D) It says "if using a receiver other than FrSky receiver set it to PPM"

Also, Should the trainer port be set to Master or Slave?

I'll definately fly without the gimbal / camera until I'm comfortable with it.

Thanks,
Paul
2015-4-28
Use props
gsxr1paul
lvl.1

United Kingdom

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2015-4-17 00:20
I was only asking because if you havent flown anything that big you might want to fly around without ...

No, I haven't flown anything as large as the S1000 before, so I'm taking every precaution possible and making sure everything is as it should be before attempting flight. Your advice is most welcome!

Thanks,
Paul
2015-4-28
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gsxr1paul Posted at 2015-4-29 15:29
Thanks for the heads up! I've just got back from holiday so I will be setting it up this weekend.

I use Futabas but if you have Lighbridge then the red cable plugs into the flight control radio...when you plug the cable in the trainer port the radio will come on...dont also turn it on...leave it off....when you plug the black cable in the camera radio trainer port I find I have to turn my radio on as it wont automatically do so...I dont know about the Taranis but probably the same.
2015-4-29
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dylan@dylangloc Posted at 2015-4-29 05:28

Carefully foll ...

Ditto on the GPS mode...if you're out in the middle of nowhere you shouldnt have problems but I've seen things interfere while in GPS mode and it can happen fast. Also keep a bookmark on the solar flare activity as just a couple weeks ago there was a pretty good storm and it was interferring with GPS...I generally fly in Atti and then switch to GPS for more steady hovering. Just be aware of where that GPS/Atti/Manual switch is and if things start getting weird in GPS switch to Atti...and just like a driver of a car, dont overcorrect
2015-4-29
Use props
gsxr1paul
lvl.1

United Kingdom

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2015-4-29 23:06
Ditto on the GPS mode...if you're out in the middle of nowhere you shouldnt have problems but I've ...

Thanks Dennis, I havent had a chance to power everything up yet due to having a clearance issue when the GH4 is mounted on the Z15 gimbal. The GH4 eyecup hits the gimbal when it tries to tilt from horizontal to point straight down...it only makes it to about 45 degrees as the eyecup connects with the gimbal.

I've been emailing firstpersonview.co.uk who have contacted DJI. DJI said that "the eyecup should be removed as per what the manual says" but I couldn't find anything in the manual that says about removing the eyecup? They now want a video from showing the problem.
I've looked on the DJI website and all the photos they have on their with the GH4 mounted on the z15 gimbal show it with the eyecup in place...even their setup video shows the eyecup on the GH4!
I'll see what they say after sending them the video tomorrow.
2015-5-7
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gsxr1paul Posted at 2015-5-8 04:19
Thanks Dennis, I havent had a chance to power everything up yet due to having a clearance issue whe ...

I dont know about the eye cup but the camera hitting on the upper part of the gimbal is pretty common...look on the horizontal bar behind the camera on the gimbal. You should see a couple screws. Lossen those screws carefully and you can rotate the arms down (lowering the camera). Only do that if it still hits with the cup off. This is where you can also balance the camera as you can also move the shaft left and right..but just do a little at a time if needed.
Cheers
2015-5-7
Use props
gsxr1paul
lvl.1

United Kingdom

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2015-5-8 06:23
I dont know about the eye cup but the camera hitting on the upper part of the gimbal is pretty com ...

DJI ended up saying the gimbal is DOA (dead on arrival) so firstpersonview will be sending me a new one.

I've heard that DJI might be releasing a flight adaptor so the new Ronin M can be mounted to the S1000. But DJI haven't announced anything yet.Cinemilled.com have already made an adaptor.

Cheers,
Paul
2015-5-12
Use props
jjd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11250 ft
South Africa

Hello all, thanks for the interesting and sage advice above.

There are a couple of things I need to understand now that I appear to have the Lightbridge ground unit communicating correctly with the Futaba 14 SGH.

My first concern is: how does one actually start the motors? (On my Phantom 2 to start the motors I  bring both sticks into the lower, inner corners of the RC) Is this the same on the S1000+ / Lightbridge / Futaba?

Second: a bench test? This is a term liberally thrown around, but how does one test the S1000+ on the bench if nothing is actually moving?

Third: I initially managed to pair and map my the second Futaba 14SGH to the A2 system and in testing that mapping (on the bench) the gear responded to one switch by raising its legs off the bench leaving the machine resting on a collection of rotor arms and the 5D III gimbal. I didn't find that funny as I was trying to hold up the drone while lowering the gear - four hands would have done the trick, but I was on my own. After that I created a hook set-up and suspended the drone from that, and tested the gear to my heart's content.

I do have other issues with the Z15 5D III (HD) but that's the subject of another thread . . .

Many thanks,
Justin

2015-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules