INSPIRE 1 DIY 500Watt POWER SUPPLY "CHARGER" SEE UPDATED FIRST POST!!
14900 63 2015-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Wow, this is the reggae music i was looking for.
To be honest, i did not expect the gain in faster charging rates would be around 30%.
All credits to GENETTICO and to be fair also to Bob.
Looks like you stole the show, did't you.
2015-4-18
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Something to keep in mind if you use the full 180W.  The stock DJI psu will allow the charger to charge at a 1C rating (3.8A).  180W will allow the battery to charge at close to 2C rating (6.9A).  This, I am guessing will be ok as DJI are going to release a new 180W Psu.  You will however reduce the number of cycle times the battery can potentially be recharged by about 4-5%  (40-50 times)?
Just something you should be aware of.

Jason
2015-4-18
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-4-18 14:18
Nice work Genettico, those charge rates are even better than I thought possible. I knew DJI chose th ...

Thank you Dangair.

I would think you partly answered your question regarding why they chose the one they did... I feel it was as a compromise of portability, price point, but IMHO more importantly it was an engineering compromise or oversight... as I think there is an improvement needed on the battery AMP regulator while charging. While it does the job, at the beginning of charge it allows too much amperage thru if available, (not the case with DJI PSU). If intentional, they  compensated this by giving less power thru PSU so as to NOT overload the The battery spikes drains close to 10amps at some points, and I believe they should be regulated better. If NOT intentional so then it is an oversight, and something that might be able to be corrected via update. I say this assuming the Hardware portion is regulated by software and not just hardware.

The packs as you noticed on readings DO go up about 5 to 7 degrees Fahrenheit vs the 3.5 or so for the DJI, however they NEVER  they raised past this point and heat was not a concern for neither the batteries nor the MEIND PSU as it never even broke a sweat.  

Actually heat was NOT a concern for any battery under any setup, and for those of us concerned with too much heat when more power is available... I think the results ought to alleviate those as they are well within ideal charging temperatures, and the difference between DJI and MEIND amounted to about 2.5 to 3.2 (F) degrees difference.

Yes, I was looking for a solutions that would allow not just me, ALL OF US  to charge more for less without sacrificing performance and to provide the community an alternative to the $300 to $500 plus units some companies are making.

I think where there is competition is a great thing... as it tends to drive better prices for consumer,more options to choose from, and because companies want to stand out, more features..
2015-4-18
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

dundee Posted at 2015-4-18 16:10
Wow, this is the reggae music i was looking for.
To be honest, i did not expect the gain in faster c ...

Thank you Dundee.

I cannot say I was that surprised with the charging rates, but I was with the temperatures as I thought they would get much warmer. I did noticed how they capped at near 80% (percentage of the battery while charging) and they started going down when charging was nears completion, for a final "ramp up" about 95% of about 3 degrees (F).The battery seems to request less and less near the end of the charge cycle.

I will take credit to all the time I have vested finding the information for specs,the right parts, configuration,design, tests, tests, tests, lol!! and more tests... and to produce the documentation via pics, videos, excel spreadsheets etc.. but ultimately... all these products I used are 'off the shelve' and I did not make them.... (wish I did).

I certainly could not have done it alone for some tests (oscilloscope) (thank you Clyde,Richard, Walter my workmates) and without the information found not only on this threads but the web... the suggestions and feedback from our community... and things to consider and test. I added the ferrite chokes as a suggestion given by FARNK666 and he himself was the one who suggested the oscilloscope testing which I was able to carry at my workplace.

So.. It was never my show to have... it is ours!
2015-4-18
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-18 20:06
Thank you Dundee.

I cannot say I was that surprised with the charging rates, but I was with the t ...

Collaborative effort across the community - although you put the hours in mate!
2015-4-18
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-18 10:40
Actual difference in time was 23.25minutes for this last test from 22.8v (which shows as 35% on APP ...

Thanks for all of the testing, this was a lot of work, and has answered many of our questions.

I suspect that the final voltage of 26.01 you have reached is being managed by the batteries internal charge controller. And could be slightly below the cells possible max rating for safety margins.

I am only aware of LiPo cells with a 4.2 volt design and LiPV cells with a 4.35 volt design, however, there might be some custom cell they are using.

Looks like the charge controller also does limit the max current rate, for your same 35% faster charging time/rate in multiple configurations.

Where did you get the current high alarm, the battery, or the power supply?
2015-4-18
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Oh, and despite the unfortunate remarks that I personally apologize for, thanks to Bob Marley for getting the ball rolling on this. I think we all had the same questions about the PSU and the heat it generated. Seemed quite wasteful to sweat off all that useful juice in the form of heat. It is also putting to rest questions of why the PSU is best not to be used to charge the TX and Bats together.
The obvious next question might be, does the charging circuit in the battery play nice with the larger current that it can accept or will this ultimately shorten the batteries life or performance? Things are looking promising going by Genettico's findings.
Which brings me to the point Genettico made about competition... The components that you selected will be in short supply as the demand will rise as a result of your discoveries. There has been an enormous volume of these aircraft and others that could use this very same power supply. This may stimulate the manufacturer and distributer to raise prices on these components accordingly. We are already seeing a rapid increase in prices as the Canadian dollar is declining. Products that I purchase on a regular basis such as chainsaws, both Stihl and Husky are now 25% more here almost over night. A $1500 power saw is now $2000 and a $3500 Inspie is now a $5000 squeeze! The power supply issue for some may come down to price and for others utility. Large power supplies are more expensive for sure but usually have better power conditioning ( less noise ) and can be used for devices that require much greater current such as Ham radio gear and charging deep cycle batteries. So I guess I'm saying that I personally don't mind spending more money for greater utility but it would be great if folks like Bob and Genettico can find cheaper alternatives that can be fun to assemble.
2015-4-18
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Unfortunately it looks as though Amazon is no longer carrying that supply (usually when just out of stock they say "more on the way," the notation that they do not know when "or if" this device will come back into stock usually indicates they will no longer be carrying it.  Time to look for another supply (or another source for this one)....

Amazon no longer carrying power supply

Amazon no longer carrying power supply
2015-4-21
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-22 01:32
Unfortunately it looks as though Amazon is no longer carrying that supply (usually when just out of  ...

Not the case.. Normally as you said that would be the case... However this is not an Amazon direct purchase.. For these they are but a venue. i have contacted Amazon and they have sent request to company to see if they will stock more soon enough... Stay tuned!
2015-4-21
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-22 01:32
Unfortunately it looks as though Amazon is no longer carrying that supply (usually when just out of  ...

Just checked again... They are back in stock on April 24th!
2015-4-21
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Excellent news.  
2015-4-21
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-22 08:41

2015-4-22
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

the input is 170-250 i guess this would not work with 110v canada?
2015-5-1
Use props
jebsmith2112
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108560 ft
United States

i really want to try this, but I love the smart power charger for its ease of use and portability... however I dont love the price tag
2015-6-2
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-22 08:41

Hello
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Ba ... hash=item2800e8f8c7

Is this a way to go ?

Genettico ?
2015-6-7
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-8 04:23
Hello

The link is gone,,
2015-6-8
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Try this one Genettico
I would really like your opinion on the specs
2015-6-8
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-9 14:53
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Battery-Parallel-Charging-Panel-Board-26V-15A-fast-Charger-F-DJI-Ins ...

This looks great... However I feel the PSU is a bit underpowered and definitely will be running hot! It really goes onto my original design of limiting the amperage per terminal. In this case they are using a resistor... I wonder what the resistor's value is.... Will it work?  I sure think so... Thanks for sharing
2015-6-9
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-6-9 19:31
This looks great... However I feel the PSU is a bit underpowered and definitely will be running ho ...

Thanks for your answer - it states my assumptions
2015-6-9
Use props
Elite Air, LLC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176811 ft
United States

Would something like this work? Too much wattage?? It has great 10 amp ports on the side. Your thoughts appreciated!

http://hitecrcd.com/products/cha ... ower-supply/product
2015-10-15
Use props
ringolong
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4559882 ft
  • >>>
United States

Elite Air, LLC Posted at 2015-10-15 22:48
Would something like this work? Too much wattage?? It has great 10 amp ports on the side. Your thoug ...

I think 10 amp is too high since 10 amp is the cutoff threshold for these batteries.
2015-12-8
Use props
aj.deardorff
New
United States

Genettico,
What is your recommendation to limit each terminal to 10 amps or less?  I have bought everything and put together this charging station BEFORE I read the addendum in red (maybe it should be at the beginning of the post?) and have discovered that it doesn't work like I was expecting.  A part number or link of what to put inline on each terminal would be nice.  Thanks!

2015-12-28
Use props
alan.coursesave
New
United States

I just need to ask a couple things to double check. I get a little edgy with LiPo batteries ever since one started on fire in my bedroom, not to worry, it was sitting on my wife'd open journal so it only did minor damage to the carpet, baseboards, and walls.

So on one of  the "chargers"  I have there is a light that goes from red when charging, to green when done. From your post it seems you are saying the entire charging circuit is in the battery itself and so it only needs power. I was nervous to do that as I didn't want to keep force feeding a battery power and have it burn again.

When looking at power supplies for my electronics, how do I know if the red light / green light means the charging circuit is handled by the wall adapter vs built into the device? I have a $300 LiPo headlamp that has the same light setup and wasn't sure if I have misunderstood everything all along.

A few years ago I got into RC cars with my kids and used a fancy charger where you had to tell it whether if was charging a 1C 2C or 3C battery, the voltage and how many amps. It also would refuse to charge when the starting voltage was too low. I "fixed" that by changing it to lead acid mode and force fed it power till I could start the LiPo cycle, did I mention the fire?

I have the Inspire 1 with 4 TB48 batteries and would love to have the best / fastest way of charging them so when out filming I can rapidly recharge them, but also so when I take it from home to work I don't have so many things to carry back and forth.

I guess I know I could follow your instructions, but I am trying to better understand what is going on since I am not an engineer like the rest of you
2016-1-4
Use props
prestigeaerial
New

United States

aj.deardorff Posted at 2015-12-29 06:27
Genettico,
What is your recommendation to limit each terminal to 10 amps or less?  I have bought ev ...

Did you ever figure out or get an answer to what you can put inline to limit the output to 10 amps or less?

2016-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules