Can't fly more than 20m without signal drop.
3642 31 2017-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HMACAGUE
lvl.1
Australia

Hey I really am struggling with why my phantom 3 std won't fly very far. I can take off and everything no worries but within 20m the signal between the remote and drone drops and it'll return home. It's ok if you follow it. I am flying in open feilds on my farm so there is no interference at all, and I am definitely not in beginners mode. Worked well when I bought it, this started happening 5 months ago. Help would be greatly appreciated!
2017-12-8
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Sounds to me you have a very weak signal from the rc or a bad reciever on the ac has the drone been crashed or hard landing in the past?
Unfortunately i think your only otion may be to send it to dji for repair
2017-12-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

There's two signals, so which one is dropping?  

Are you sure you're connected correctly?  Your mobile device connects to the wifi coming from the controller.  The controller connects to the wifi coming from the AC.  In the old days it was possible to connect to the wrong wifi (mobile device to AC directly) and range was very limited.  That's not the problem, right?  

You might try to reinstall the Go app.  

Good luck
2017-12-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi sir, flight distance sometimes relates to the flight environment, we would suggest that you fly the drone in an open wide area, if there is no interference around, please check the antennas position of the remote controller. Distance should be greater than height during flight, and please make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft, you can refer to the tutorial below. More importantly, please check if there is a need to update the firmware of the drone and RC. Still, use a mobile device with a strong performance. If those doesn't help, could you please provide me with a screenshot of the firmware info? Here's the route: power on the drone, RC, app and enter device---upper right icon---general----about. I would like to check first. Thank you.

2017-12-9
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

The control signal has been cut of further than 20 meters?  What altitude had the AC in that moment?
2017-12-9
Use props
HMACAGUE
lvl.1
Australia

I'm flying the drone in feilds where there isn't even a tree in a 700m radius so definitely don't have interference. I have tried the antenna in various positions and still the same result. To reply to Petrex highest i have gotten it is 60m but I am directly below it, when it's 20m away it is only around 40m off the ground. I hope I don't have to send it away, as my drone literally has 1.5hrs flight time on it. Thanks for the great comments hopefully we are narrowing on the issue
2017-12-9
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

HMACAGUE Posted at 2017-12-9 13:18
I'm flying the drone in feilds where there isn't even a tree in a 700m radius so definitely don't have interference. I have tried the antenna in various positions and still the same result. To reply to Petrex highest i have gotten it is 60m but I am directly below it, when it's 20m away it is only around 40m off the ground. I hope I don't have to send it away, as my drone literally has 1.5hrs flight time on it. Thanks for the great comments hopefully we are narrowing on the issue

Being directly below the drone is the worst place you can be for signal strength. As a rule you want the distance to be greater than height.
2017-12-9
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-9 01:28
Hi sir, flight distance sometimes relates to the flight environment, we would suggest that you fly the drone in an open wide area, if there is no interference around, please check the antennas position of the remote controller. Distance should be greater than height during flight, and please make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft, you can refer to the tutorial below. More importantly, please check if there is a need to update the firmware of the drone and RC. Still, use a mobile device with a strong performance. If those doesn't help, could you please provide me with a screenshot of the firmware info? Here's the route: power on the drone, RC, app and enter device---upper right icon---general----about. I would like to check first. Thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

I just recently acquired a new RC, same model as my original except I have been getting less distance. How would I know what firmware is installed and how would I perform an update on just the RC?
2017-12-9
Use props
sSkyPilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

HUH! Never had the issue you cited. For me everything is 100% charged. RC antenna angle set good. Maybe I'd delete and D/L again the GoApp. and notice if I have a firmware update availible. Double check the settings, and fly. If the same issue is happening I'd talk to the DJI repair support.
2017-12-9
Use props
Axor11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 687028 ft
Ireland

Get a lil wind surfer..I got one as mine signal was crap after an update..I get around 250m before RTH kicks in..very annoying expensive drone
2017-12-9
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Axor11 Posted at 2017-12-9 13:47
Get a lil wind surfer..I got one as mine signal was crap after an update..I get around 250m before RTH kicks in..very annoying expensive drone

Try using magic power mod,
2017-12-9
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Axor11 Posted at 2017-12-9 13:47

Here’s the link for magic power mod 5 https://www.drones4.life/phantom-3-standard-magic-power-mod/
2017-12-9
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

LarBear360 Posted at 2017-12-9 13:38
I just recently acquired a new RC, same model as my original except I have been getting less distance. How would I know what firmware is installed and how would I perform an update on just the RC?

Keep the latest firm ware file on the SD card if you had an upgrade before you got the new RC. You can see it on the general settings/about on the Go app. Power on the RC and AC with the latest firm ware on the SD car. Then connect your mobile to the Phantoms WIFI and start the app. The app tells you to upgrade the firm ware on the RC(so far i know) then you can tab <<upgrade now>>  
2017-12-9
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
United States

Peterx Posted at 2017-12-9 14:06
Keep the latest firm ware file on the SD card if you had an upgrade before you got the new RC. You can see it on the general settings/about on the Go app. Power on the RC and AC with the latest firm ware on the SD car. Then connect your mobile to the Phantoms WIFI and start the app. The app tells you to upgrade the firm ware on the RC(so far i know) then you can tab

Thank you. My last upgrade was 100% wireless. I didn't put anything on the card. I just cannot recall which RC I had at the time. Right now everything works and the app is not asking me to upgrade anything with the new RC connected, just not sure if that includes the RC.

I just performed a re-link and will test it out tomorrow
2017-12-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

LarBear360 Posted at 2017-12-9 13:38
I just recently acquired a new RC, same model as my original except I have been getting less distance. How would I know what firmware is installed and how would I perform an update on just the RC?

Hi, you can check the firmware by this route: power on the drone, RC, app and enter device---upper right icon---general----about. The latest version of the app for Phantom 3 Sta is v1.9.20, both RC and drone should be in this version. You can provide me with a screenshot of the firmware info so I can help to check.
Since Phantom 3 Sta is an all in one drone and it updates the whole firmware via WiFi, when there is a need to update, there will be a notice on the app.
For the distance, since you notice my reply above, may I know how far you can fly generally? Looking forward to your feedback.
2017-12-11
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-11 03:07
Hi, you can check the firmware by this route: power on the drone, RC, app and enter device---upper right icon---general----about. The latest version of the app for Phantom 3 Sta is v1.9.20, both RC and drone should be in this version. You can provide me with a screenshot of the firmware info so I can help to check.
Since Phantom 3 Sta is an all in one drone and it updates the whole firmware via WiFi, when there is a need to update, there will be a notice on the app.
For the distance, since you notice my reply above, may I know how far you can fly generally? Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks for your help. Attached is the screen shot per your direction. Still can't tell if the RC is up to date, just the app. It also says latest firmware and I'm guessing from your response that includes the RC?

I rarely go beyond 350 - 400 feet and that's where I've been losing signal. Last week it made it out 600 at around 175 feet altitude before I lost it.  RTH works perfectly, thank goodness.

Hope you can read the screen shot. It does read firmware 1.9.20+ (not sure what the + means.
2017-12-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

LarBear360 Posted at 2017-12-12 21:43
Thanks for your help. Attached is the screen shot per your direction. Still can't tell if the RC is up to date, just the app. It also says latest firmware and I'm guessing from your response that includes the RC?

I rarely go beyond 350 - 400 feet and that's where I've been losing signal. Last week it made it out 600 at around 175 feet altitude before I lost it.  RTH works perfectly, thank goodness.[view_image]

Thank you for getting back. For your case, you can export your data on the drone and sync your flight record and report to our support, we will help to do an analysis of the distance issue, or send it back and we will help to do an overall check. Please contact support.us@dji.com for a further help.
2017-12-13
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

LarBear360 Posted at 2017-12-12 21:43

I rarely go beyond 350 - 400 feet and that's where I've been losing signal. Last week it made it out 600 at around 175 feet altitude before I lost it.  RTH works perfectly, thank goodness.[view_image]

1.9.20+ is the sign of the latest firm ware. This screen shot you posted looks good for flight.
You got it sorted. Happy flying.
2017-12-13
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Be sure you have logged out and back into DJI thru the app to release flight restrictions. Latest firmware which you have demands this.
2017-12-13
Use props
BlastOff5
lvl.1
United States

Hi all- my first post here. I am having a similar issue. I just got my first drone, the Phantom Standard 3, and loving it except for the fact that if it goes much beyond 100 feet I keep losing signal. This is in open desert country with no trees or other objects between me and my drone. I've flown it in about 4 different places, mostly rural desert country, for perhaps a total of about 10 times so far. (Including in my front yard in a rural desert town.) I feel like I spend most of my flight time battling "Lost Signal" and "Return to Home" rather than getting to fly and take video. It is not on Beginner Mode. It's Maximum Altitude is 400 meters. I reconnected the drone with the remote, including inserting the pen into the hole to reconnect the link, but it still has connectivity issues. I've been reading this forum and I just reinstalled the DJI Go app and reinstalled the latest firmware- going to try flying again and make sure the antenna remains in the correct position. It seems like it ought to be able to fly much further than 100 feet from me without losing signal.
2017-12-17
Use props
djiuser_qx4w2aO
New

Latvia

Hello people! I have the same problem, max distance 50 meters and then return home mode. I started to figure out and discovered that receiver in drone is not work properly,  on this image you can see SMD chip which is out of order and do not pass signal from  antennas to receiver, if you have opportunity to connect S20 chip legs how it is shown in picture the signal will become stronger and fly distance will increase.
2017-12-21
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
United States

BlastOff5 Posted at 2017-12-17 18:12
Hi all- my first post here. I am having a similar issue. I just got my first drone, the Phantom Standard 3, and loving it except for the fact that if it goes much beyond 100 feet I keep losing signal. This is in open desert country with no trees or other objects between me and my drone. I've flown it in about 4 different places, mostly rural desert country, for perhaps a total of about 10 times so far. (Including in my front yard in a rural desert town.) I feel like I spend most of my flight time battling "Lost Signal" and "Return to Home" rather than getting to fly and take video. It is not on Beginner Mode. It's Maximum Altitude is 400 meters. I reconnected the drone with the remote, including inserting the pen into the hole to reconnect the link, but it still has connectivity issues. I've been reading this forum and I just reinstalled the DJI Go app and reinstalled the latest firmware- going to try flying again and make sure the antenna remains in the correct position. It seems like it ought to be able to fly much further than 100 feet from me without losing signal.

Be sure you have logged out and back into DJI thru the app to release flight restrictions. Latest firmware which you have demands this.
2017-12-21
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_qx4w2aO Posted at 2017-12-21 03:25
Hello people! I have the same problem, max distance 50 meters and then return home mode. I started to figure out and discovered that receiver in drone is not work properly,  on this image you can see SMD chip which is out of order and do not pass signal from  antennas to receiver, if you have opportunity to connect S20 chip legs how it is shown in picture the signal will become stronger and fly distance will increase. [view_image]

2017-12-21
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

If sw app n ac FW are latest.. what I did... Uninstall dji go app.. clear all folders in handphone where dji folders are...reinstall.. login dji go.. relink ac.. ..  
2017-12-21
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Singapore

If this isn't working.. check ur rc ant see if there is any internally breaking or so.. wrst to worst..u have to send in in.
2017-12-21
Use props
phantomenace3S
New
United States

I've been having this very similar issue with signal loss for over a year now. I just received it back from DJI repair service of which they said the wifi board was bad so it cost me $102 to have it fixed. took out for first flight and am still having same issue, signal loss at 140 feet high and about 300 to 400 feet out. compared to 400 feet straight up and then up to 1600 feet out when I first bought it. I was able to reach the settings limits of 120m altitude and 500m distance I could make a complete circle around home point at that range with no issues. any ideas?
DJI care to discuss?
Thanks Guys
2017-12-21
Use props
djiuser_Qv6SgFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 725961 ft
Australia

My drone is doing the exact same thing.... sounds like dji have a known issue with p3 standard. Please can you enlighten us
2017-12-28
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Singapore

Guys... Have u guys log out and log in again ur dji account? When login..pls make sure u r on a internet connection.. B4 this u can do a relink of ur ac n rc n try it b4 doing the relogin steps... This happens to me b4 bit was cleared after steps above..if still worsening even u try on other open field,think u have to check the rc if there is a wire breakage...or lastly send in the flight data...
2017-12-28
Use props
djiuser_Qv6SgFS
lvl.3
Australia

Yes it doesnt work but thanks for your suggestion. Maybe its the latest version of the app.
2017-12-29
Use props
djiuser_Qv6SgFS
lvl.3
Australia

Have tried down grading the app and firmware with no success have logged out back in have cleared data have recalibrated imu and compass have relinked nothing works
2017-12-29
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

Recalibration of compass and IMU does not work until these 2 units are not the culprits of the low range. the weakest points on that are the sender and the receiver with the antennas.
If they are not working properly together then the bird won´t reach the range you need to operate with the bird. But If you want to down grade the firm ware you need a debug file header for it.
Downgrading app is much easier than the firm ware.
2017-12-29
Use props
djiuser_Qv6SgFS
lvl.3
Australia

I am worried if i send my drone to dji i will get it back with the same issues as most are saying this is whats happened with them. Honestly i would prefer a whole new unit and controller to rule out the possible likelihood my drone is faulty. Its still under warranty so i hope that would be a possibility. Have posted many posts up about the issue and am still awaiting follow ups from a dji staff member. Hopefully they will be nice and look after the issue for me as ive always looked after my drone its always in its dji backpack its never been crashed so a faulty sender and reciever should be grounds for a new replacement not a repair im hoping as i have spent too much money on the product to begin with. Usually is something is faulty and it is repaired the problem comes back or other things start playing up. If anyone else has any ideas on why my drone could be doing this please let me know. From what I've been reading it seems to be a big issue with p3s models with faulty transmitters and receivers.
2017-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules