Lost Control of DJI Spark : Lost DJI Spark
2398 8 2017-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NezMase
New
Australia

Hi,

So after saving for months for an Xmas gift to myself and 1.5 days into owning a DJI Spark I excitedly took it for a run at a vineyard. Lots of wide open space! I'd previously used DJI Drones for work (and at the beach) and felt confident that a big open field would be the perfect space to try the Spark out, within reason. Smart, reliable and simple is the marketing catchphrase. What could go wrong right?

It went a short distance, everything going well, when, quite suddenly, it appeared to gain a mind of it's own. Despite trying to land it and bring it back to home, and gain any kind of control, it shot off in random directions and quickly reached rapid speeds (45mph plus). Completely out of control. I was worried not only for the drone but for the safety of others.

I have tracked the 'Log View' files and located a spot where it could have come down. A friend and I went to reclaim it only to be refused access to the field where records indicate it landed (read, we were chased away by a farmer). So it's gone.

Needless to say I am devastated. Completely destroyed more to the point.

Is there any form of recourse here or am I simply to accept that this was some kind of user error and wear the loss?

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Huge thanks!
2017-12-9
Use props
NezMase
New
Australia

Flight Records:https://startdigital.com.au/wp-c ... -12-09_14-00-50.txt
2017-12-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

They may be recourse you first have to sync your flight to dji cloud in your app then contact dji support to start a case.
In the meantime if you would like to upload your flight log from your app to link below, just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link. I will have a look at it for you, it might throw some light on what happened.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-12-9
Use props
choban
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30784 ft
Germany

Sorry to hear that ! Hope you will be able to find it after all.

Based on your log, it seems that you started your flight ignoring all errors (compass, magnetic interference and so on...). I am sure that someone else with more experience will tell you more about what exactly happened.
2017-12-9
Use props
NezMase
New
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-9 04:32
They may be recourse you first have to sync your flight to dji cloud in your app then contact dji support to start a case.
In the meantime if you would like to upload your flight log from your app to link below, just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link. I will have a look at it for you, it might throw some light on what happened.

Thanks for this. The flight data is at the below link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5CPB25XW0NJ01UHNMK6F/

No doubt I have made some errors. I am however amazed at the way in which the Spark responded - or didn't respond. It gained a life of it's own and became completely unmanageable.

It's one thing to lose it, it's another to consider the financial impact. So upset......
2017-12-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s just a problem of interference in your compass, you did receive warning at takeoff to move or calibrate your compass the correct thing to do was to stop flight and move location recheck compass .

However I’m thinking inexperience May have been the cause of your problems, many around here will first advise to read the manual , many criticize giving this information as patronizing pilots, but reading the manual is the most important start for any new users.

When your compass is askew every time you push one way on the sticks aircraft compass heading brings Aircraft in another direction so you have lost all control , you can even see when Aircraft went into RTH mode it headed off in a totally different direction , this is a direct result of compass heading being off.

It’s a pity about the Farmer because I think you with a bit of searching could find your spark and I don’t think it would be damaged, it will most likely have force landed at critical battery, you also could have auto landed at any time it would have been a better option than trying RTH.
I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you but it will be ultimately dji’s decision, I wish you luck.

Just as a by the way, there has been a discussion going on here regarding whether when you have a bad compass that using gps would be the better option to steer aircraft home or to safety rather than going into Atti mode, well it’s fairly obvious from your log having had gps but bad compass it’s impossible to steer Aircraft .

Thank you for putting up the log it may not have helped you this time, but logs do help others avoid similar situations.
2017-12-9
Use props
NezMase
New
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-9 07:23
It’s just a problem of interference in your compass, you did receive warning at takeoff to move or calibrate your compass the correct thing to do was to stop flight and move location recheck compass .

However I’m thinking inexperience May have been the cause of your problems, many around here will first advise to read the manual , many criticize giving this information as patronizing pilots, but reading the manual is the most important start for any new users.

Thank you. I appreciate your time and response.

I suspected a lack of experience but given that I wasn't pushing it far at all I (wrongly) expected it to respond without any problems.

I'm still amazed at the speeds and the complete lack of control. I have never experienced sheer panic like that before. I feel like I might as well have flushed $950 (AU) down the drain.
2017-12-9
Use props
gr3web
New

Brazil

Hi.
Flight Records criação de sites
2020-11-22
Use props
gr3web
New

Brazil