Flying in cold weather???
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
Flight distance : 429114 ft
United States

Do I need to do anything special before flying in cold weather, as in warm up the batteries, or the drone itself, before actually taking off?   Or just normal stuff?   Drone and batteries are at room temp, approximately 74 degrees F.    Outside temps are mid 40's and 50's.    Thanks.  
2017-12-9
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

If temperature is negative I prefer to takeoff when battery temp is more than 20¹C
2017-12-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ensure batteries are fully charged: Some drone batteries include technology that automatically discharges battery power after a certain period of inactivity. This maintenance feature helps extend the battery life, but if you haven’t flown for a few weeks it can be easy to forget that your batteries may no longer be at the levels you expect. Before you head out the door, take a minute to verify that your batteries are fully charged.

Minimize heavy control inputs: Flying at high speeds or at full throttle requires a heavy current from the battery and can cause a sudden voltage drop. Avoiding full throttle, especially during the first few minutes of your flight, and minimizing heavy control inputs will help extend the flight time.

Avoid draining the battery: Under normal weather conditions, maxing out the flight time and flying to a low battery level is common. But when you’re flying in cold weather, completely draining the battery can be risky. Fly until the battery drops to 30-40 percent capacity, and then bring the drone back down. Pack a few spare batteries if you know you’ll need a lot of time in the air.
Bring a portable charger for your mobile device: Many popular drones stream live video to a mobile device on the controller. Remember that the battery in this device will also be impacted by cold weather. You may want to purchase a small portable charger to power up your mobile device if needed.

Steer clear of precipitation

Most drones aren’t waterproof and precipitation of any kind can damage the camera and gimbal, short out a motor, or cause other malfunctions to the drone or controller. If your drone does get caught in the rain or snow, land it as soon as possible. Make sure to dry off the props and body of the drone. In particularly cold weather.

2017-12-9
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-9 11:25
Ensure batteries are fully charged: Some drone batteries include technology that automatically discharges battery power after a certain period of inactivity. This maintenance feature helps extend the battery life, but if you haven’t flown for a few weeks it can be easy to forget that your batteries may no longer be at the levels you expect. Before you head out the door, take a minute to verify that your batteries are fully charged.

Thanks for share !
2017-12-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your welcome it’s that time of the year again.
2017-12-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

When real inclement weather has got you down, You can always use the onboard flight SIM, to keep your flight muscle memory intact.

You can keep your batteries warm with a DJI commercial battery warmer, or simply wrap them in a towel with a disposable pocket hand warmer.

RedHotPoker

2017-12-9
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-12-9 12:44
When real inclement weather has got you down, You can always use the onboard flight SIM, to keep your flight muscle memory intact.

You can keep your batteries warm with a DJI commercial battery warmer, or simply wrap them in a towel with a disposable pocket hand warmer.

I have tried to use the flight sim, but I don't get anything.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  Please explain how to use.   Thank you.
2017-12-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

VetteGuyZ06 Posted at 2017-12-10 09:09
I have tried to use the flight sim, but I don't get anything.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  Please explain how to use.   Thank you.

The only way the flight SIM will operate, is if you have the drone turned on too.
Remove the props, and fire everything up, then turn on your flight SIM, within the Go app.
If you need further assistance, just whistle...

It's a very basic SIM, but good enough to take down a battery...

RedHotPoker
2017-12-10
Use props
KPA-5
New
Flight distance : 120377 ft
United States

FYI VetteGuy, the drone motors and body will get warm while using the sim. I found a small fan keeps her comfy.
2017-12-12
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

Thank you very much.  I will try this in the next few days.   
2017-12-13
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

KPA-5 Posted at 2017-12-12 18:26
FYI VetteGuy, the drone motors and body will get warm while using the sim. I found a small fan keeps her comfy.

Thank you.   I have a small fan i can use.  
2017-12-13
Use props
vasilestan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14099898 ft
  • >>>
Romania

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-9 11:25

Such a useful post and video. Thank you!
2017-12-16
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

RedHot, i sent you a pm.  Can't get the simulator to work properly.  
2017-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules